Grado SR60i
Oct 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jay_Gears

New Head-Fier
Okay, i am going to -destroy- my awful Sony XB500 and EX300 headphones, burn my useless Bose
deadhorse.gif
and buy some Grado SR60i. They're not the most fashionable but i am told they're the best i can find for under £100, what do you think? Pros and Cons? Anyone got an idea where i can order them online in the UK? Thanks
atsmile.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 18
With Grados, you get a lot of midrange detail. It will change the way you hear music. For some, it takes a little getting used to. Some never warm to the sound signature. For me, they are terrific. I think the SR60s are the true value product of the Grado line. You can pay more and get more but you won't get the value for the money that the SR60s will give you. They're a great knock-around headphone.

Their vulnerability is in the open-air design, which trades bass impact and sound isolation for a dramatic reduction in resonance. If you've ever felt like too many headphones sounded like sound in a can, you're going to really love your Grados. For more impactful bass, get a great amp. I just sold off my M^3, which made my Grados throb. The coolest thing about Grados is the sense that you are in the front row, soaking up all that detail.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 18
I too would like to say how good the grados are, being my first high end headphones. Though I returned, because they weren't practical for me.

So if you are just going to be using them in a quit home enerivmont I say go for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Also there is the issue of fit and that some people complain that they are uncomftrable for long periods of time. I kind of got that with mine, but I grew used to it quickly, you can also bend the head band out a little bit.

I also can't say from experince of how much better the SR80 would be, but you can get it for around 10 USD(around £5, not sure though) more then the SR60 though the prices may also be over all more inflated in the UK.

EDIT: holy crap, £100 is ~158 USD(according to using google search to convert)! I got mine for 69 USD 0_0

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_Gears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea where to order the SR60i in the UK? On amazon the minimum price is £82.

In the US i am told that they are sold for 69$ so i guess that's about £52.

Unfortunately, unless you go with an Alessandro, you will have to pay a substantially higher price for Grado headphones in the UK and most other countries outside the US. This is partly due to the higher tariffs on non-essential imports and partly due to the costs to ship the products from the US to the "official" foreign distributors. And there is no legitimately getting around those if you're stuck buying them in another country.
frown.gif

And no, in the US the new version of the SR-60i no longer costs $69; it now costs $79. At current exchange rates, that would be about £50. So there is at least £32 worth of import, transit and tariff costs involved here. So, £82 would now be more than $131 USD! A huge $52+ USD worth of transit and import costs and tariffs involved. So, unless you really want that Grado sound, other brands of headphones are much better values over there.

Then there's the warranty issue: IIRC Grado's warranty is only valid for the ORIGINAL purchaser of their products. And if a Grado product is sold illegitimately, such as a foreign purchaser ordering the products directly from an authorised US reseller for shipment outside the US, Grado will NOT honor the warranty on such products (and may revoke that reseller's authorisation to sell Grado products in the future). The same holds true for a Grado product which is sold first to someone in the US who then resells it to someone abroad--in this case, only the original US purchaser may make a warranty claim on the affected product (but that would not do much if any good if the product breaks while in the foreign owner's possession). In non-warranty cases, repair charges may approach or exceed the original purchase price of such an affected product had such a product been purchased legitimately to begin with (and some companies may refuse to even touch the affected product at all but instead send it back to you unrepaired). This is exactly why all authorised Grado resellers in the US will only ship within the Continental US, and will not ship any of them abroad. On the other hand, if a Grado product is purchased in a foreign country through a legitimate channel, the foreign country's official distributor of the product is responsible for the warranty--that official importer will send the product back to Grado in Brooklyn, NY if any major repair is required.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_Gears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i won't be able to find cheaper than £82 in the UK? Is there no way to order directly from Grado and have then send it per mail or something?

Regrettably, Grado does not sell any of their products directly to consumers.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And no, in the US the new version of the SR-60i no longer costs $69; it now costs $79.

just thought I'd point this out, though I know the point is rather, well pointless:

Grado SR60i Full-Sized Headphones

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 18
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Just wanted to throw in my support of the Grados. They are my first pair of real high-end cans and I love them. In fact, I've had to fend off my Dad, because he takes them every time I visit. Heck, my Mom put them on and was like "Wow!" My sister won't even try them because she says they're ugly-looking, but I love the retro sort of look. The Grado SR60is are probably not the best set of cans in the universe or anything, but if you're a budget-minded consumer, they're some pretty wicked cans for the cash. In fact I see a lot of people who use Grado 'phones, though they're higher-end ones that cost more. If you're a new audiophile (Like me! Hooray for you!), the Grado cans are a good, inexpensive choice. Go for it!

I will say that I find them to be lacking bass in a portable environment (I think this is common for supra-aural cans), and the cord is also long and cumbersome. Zip ties solved that problem for me. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm looking at a good portable amp to fix the bass. My metal-loving self will always love some good bass... The good thing about the supra-aural cans is that the lack that "sound in a can" feel as one poster described it. It's a very natural sound that is easy to listen to. Grado 'phones are also comfortable, at least to me. Anyone who complains about pain while wearing these suckers is just a little sissy baby. (But I have a high pain threshold and have been through eight surgeries, so maybe I'm just not normal.)

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 18
I have Grado SR60i phones. While it's true the bass isn't strong, I actually like the bass as it doesn't drown out any midrange. I suppose if you're looking bass that thumps your eardrums you might be disapointed but the bass is defintely there on the 60s. I considered the 80s but after researching I believe the 60s were considered better for portable sources w/o a portable amp setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back