Grado SR60i/SR80i question
Mar 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bad Santa

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my V-Moda Crossfade LP's in November, and since then, my preference in genre of music has shifted from Hip-Hop to Alternative/Rock so I am wondering how much of a difference I would notice in Alternative/Rock I would notice if I got the Grado SR60i or SR80i's. Are there better choices in the sub $100 price range? I know they're open air, do they leak a lot of sound? Could I wear them to school or outside my house? I'll be listening to them from my iPod/Computer.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Portable use with Grados is hard, but achievable if there's not too much (or too little) outside noise. As for sound, nothing under $100 will beat a Grado for rock.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Portable use with Grados is hard, but achievable if there's not too much (or too little) outside noise. As for sound, nothing under $100 will beat a Grado for rock.

Yeah I've seen that often here, but I'm not sure if its really worth dropping $100 on some new headphones if they don't sound much better than my current ones. Will these sound good without an amp or will having an amp effect them a good ammount?

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 7
The V-Moda LP's are pretty nice. I'd actually recommend a slightly higher end Grados like 225 or 325i. I've had grado 325i for a while and i think they are just a pair of good sounding headphones not just for rock. That way, you get an upgrade in sound that's good for all type of music. You can use the grados at home. and LP's at school and at the library.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Grado's are good for rock but leak a lot. Not a good idea to use them on the school or on the go. 

what about the Shure Srh440? they do fine with alt rock. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Try the Shure SRH-880s, they're a massive improvement over the Crossfade LP, but they definitely need an amp. Crossfades sounds more bassy than the Shures, but the quality is a lot worse. And I could barely hear the vocals on most songs with the Crossfades

Get the Shure if you have a skinnier head, I'm probably going to return mine because they feel like crap for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back