Grado SR60i Path
Dec 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ynes

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys. Got myself a Grado SR60i.

I'm just wondering what path to take first to further enhance this set of cans. Here's my options as of now:

Option 1: Buy Portable Amp(Arrow or JDS Labs cmoyBB/c421, etc..)

Option 2: Buy Woodies from Marty(+Liberated)

What do you think guys is the best in terms of price performance ratio?

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 19
First thing. Get the L-Cush pads ($20) nothing else improves SR60/SR80 as much off the bat. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 19
To counter the L-Cush recommendations, I'd suggest modded HD414 pads. Similar sound, actually comfortable. :wink:

But, yeah, wood and a recable are probably your best bang for the buck, as it were.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 19
I've been doing A TON of research over the past few years, and the modded comfies, which are just a black version of HD414's aren't that terribly comfy. In fact, the only way you could call them that comfortable is by keeping them unmodded.

But yes. Get some woodies. I'd suggest a PA2v2 amp, and blammo. You'll be having an amazing time. But first really give your 60's a listen, become adjusted to their sound. That way you can feel the details in the upgrades you later do.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 19
I just got some of the 414 pads in today, they aren't the same at all.  The 414's are smaller, so the fits a bit tighter.
I also find the original pads more comfortable.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 19
HD414 is made of a thinner foam and it has a less sandpaperish feel to it than the stock comfies. 
Bowls and HD414 pads do not even sound close. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 19
Magnums require....1) soldering ability 2) double the amount of the sr60i's and 3) aren't as drastic as everyone says. That being said, I myself plan on upgrading to magnums ASAP, but will be getting someone else to construct them for me

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 19
I have upgraded my Allesandro MS-1 to quarter modded 414, and I was not at all a believer in the pad being able to impact the sound but the difference is there for you, perhaps because suddenly speaker is playing straight into your ear without any veil. The biggest impact though to my suprise was on the bass side. It got tighter especially with my jazz vinyl. Getz Gilberto mono edition is just pulls me in now when I put on this otherwise aggressive cans. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm soon getting the L-Cushions, and will let OP know if the reverse or modded comfies are worse/better sounding and better/worse comfortability

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I'm soon getting the L-Cushions, and will let OP know if the reverse or modded comfies are worse/better sounding and better/worse comfortability

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back