Grado SR60i "leakage"
Jul 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

amarc

New Head-Fier
Hello

I hope this is right expression in title : ). Well I was looking to buy these, read some great reviews here and they have nice price..

But.. I listen to music 95% in bus traveling to work (about 2 hours a day - iPod classic latest gen.) and on work (laptop). So you can guess there is people around me in both places. I know these grados are 'open' and just want to check with you guys and girls are these phones gonna make people look and point fingers at me? Its not like I am gonna do 100% of volume at all but just want to check if there is any isolation on these?Maybe recommend me something similar but 'closed'?
My main genres are trip-hop,chillout, jazz and all other jazzy stuff.. (and there is always one album of Rammstein around :d )

So.. give me your toughts

ty.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 12
As far as what other people hear, you might as well be wearing them inside-out.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
As far as what other people hear, you might as well be wearing them inside-out.

Pretty much true.  You get no isolation either.  If you're on a bus, you'll be cranking it to cut though the noise, annoying your fellow passengers for sure, and possibly damaging your hearing.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Grado = Sound Stage - Isolation
Etymotic = Isolation - Soundstage

Take your pick, or go with a sealed can from the numberless suggestions which will likely come in due time.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks guys..

Is there anything "in betwen" that you could recommend? ie. I want on ear headphones (not in ear ones) but would like also to have some istolation? Portability and carying case is plus : )

ty.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 12

Hello

I hope this is right expression in title : ). Well I was looking to buy these, read some great reviews here and they have nice price..

But.. I listen to music 95% in bus traveling to work (about 2 hours a day - iPod classic latest gen.) and on work (laptop). So you can guess there is people around me in both places. I know these grados are 'open' and just want to check with you guys and girls are these phones gonna make people look and point fingers at me? Its not like I am gonna do 100% of volume at all but just want to check if there is any isolation on these?Maybe recommend me something similar but 'closed'?
My main genres are trip-hop,chillout, jazz and all other jazzy stuff.. (and there is always one album of Rammstein around :d )

So.. give me your toughts

ty.

The sound leakage isn't really that big of an issue, especially with the smaller Grados.  The close ear/driver distance of everything below the GS1000 makes it pretty easy to listen to your music without disturbing others.  I can listen to my cans in the living room while everyone is watching TV and nobody says anything.  If I wear them to bed, on the other hand, my wife speaks up because she's a light sleeper and anything will startle her awake.

The sound leakage will especially not be an issue on the bus.  Compared to the ambient sound of the motor, gears, wheels and traffic, you'd be surprised at how heavy the sound floor is.  Your headphones would hardly be an offender there.  You will, however, lose bass as the low rumble cancels out what your drivers are producing.  I had this happen to me on a family trip.  I could hear the HF just fine, but the bass cut out badly.  I found it so annoying, once I realized what was going on, that I invested in IEMs.

Any IEM with a good fit will give you full bass, as long as you have a good deal.  You will, however, have to get used to having something jammed into your ear canals.  It took me a little while to get used to it but once I did, I found the isolation of even the cheapest IEMs to be amazing.  Soundwize, you get better sound form multi-drivered earphones (which you can read about at greater length in the portable earphones area).  Some people love the single-drivered Etymotics ER4P.  I, personally, hated the ergonomics of the Etymotics, with its popcicle sticks that could never get much bass and either popped out or had to be jammed in pretty far.  They're the only IEMs I've owned that had serious issues with microphonics.

One of the fab favorites among IEMs is the SE530 (lush mids), but I found it too uninvolving and weirdly steely for my tastes.  I preferred the Triple Fi 10 Pro (TF10) and the UM3X.  For modestly-priced IEMs, I was very much impressed with the single-driver Phonak Audeo PFE, which comes with two filters, one for an Etymotics-style sparking presentation and a darker one for better bass (I preferred the darker one; I'm not a basshead, but a little bass is not a bad thing).

For an office environment, you can easily get away with a smaller Grado (anything below the GS1000).  You'd have to have an extremely quiet office environment for anyone to really hear anything.  I wear Grados to the gym.  I wear them on walks.  I wear them at doctors' offices.  The only "looks" I get are from people who are used to seeing people sport earphones, not full-sized headphones.  The smaller Grados have a pretty low profile, but in a world where the headphone has been commonly replaced by something that goes in the ear, not on it, you'll get some "looks."

Whether that's a big deal will depend on how much you care.  I don't.  I'd rather have the good sound.  But that's me.  I would, however, draw the line at the K701 and the HD800s I keep at home.  Those two headphones seem more like helmets.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm in 100% agreement with Bilavideo.  I use my Grado S80i's in the office and it doesn't bother anybody.  I have 5 people in my office and I'm sharing a desk with somebody - so it's pretty cramped quarters!

Sometimes when the socializing in the room gets out of hand I'll have to turn up the volume a little, but aside from that, I can block out the noise in the room.  I perfer this to using IEMs in the office which provide too much noise isolation.  With the Grados, I can hear if somebody is trying to get my attention.

Something else to consider is what type of music you are listening to.  If you are listening to something with wide dynamics (orchestra) or pretty ambient (old Tangerine Dream), Grados in a noisy environment will be tough. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Thanks guys..

Is there anything "in betwen" that you could recommend? ie. I want on ear headphones (not in ear ones) but would like also to have some istolation? Portability and carying case is plus : )

ty.

Sennheiser HD25

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Another vote for one of the HD25 varieties.

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 12
A word of caution: Using open headphones like Grados in a noisy environment like a train, bus, or just outside in a city is a horrible idea. The noise floor is so high, you'll be turning the volume way up and just damaging the heck out of your ears in a very short time. Take Bilavideo's advice and get some IEM's, or do like others have suggested and try the Sennheiser HD-25 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back