Grado SR60
Sep 3, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 26
As pointed out many threads tend to drift completely out of subject fairly quickly nowadays, so let's give theREALsean some advice.
I used to have the SR 60 and they are quite good phones, especially considering their low price in the US. The major complain is usually lack of bass and resolution compared to pricier models. SR 80 is thought to improve on both fronts, so if cash is not a problem you may try these too. I remember, a long time ago SR60 were consdered perhaps the best phones under 100USD. Nowadays, there are others such as Sennheiser HD497 and even according to some KSC 35 that may be better. IMO it is not such a bad idea to audition at least SR60, SR80 and HD497 and make your mind based on the results.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 26
I have two headphones, The Grado SR60, and the Senn HD 600. If you have a portable player and no amp, go with the SR 60. This is an outstanding headphone that is easy to drive. I love mine anyway. If you go with a real hi-end headphone like the HD-600, which you can buy for just under 200, you will need a dedicated headphone amp to drive them. To get a decent amp, you will need to spend another at least another 300 dollars. Good luck. I know you will happy with the Grado. May need a few days to break in though.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 26
Breaking in headphones....I heard it before but what all is involved? Wearing them for extended lengths of time like shoes?

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 26
You just need to let the drivers loosen up a little. I actually had a wooden head with holes drilled in it for the ears... Until that is, I discovered it had woodworm
eek.gif

Now i just use a very thick cardboard box the width of my head, into which I put padding to stop sounds echoing inside the box. I leave a phone as soon as I unpack it - I don't even bother to listen to it - for about 12 hours, playing back a mixture of music slightly louder than I would normally listen to things. Then I listen to it for a bit. Then I leave it for another 24. Only then I start listening to them for real.

Sep 3, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 26
Okay, cool. Thank you for the advice. I still don't know what pair to get first....

1.ÊÊÊ Grado SR60
2.ÊÊÊ Sennheiser MX 500
3.ÊÊÊ Koss KSC-35
4.ÊÊÊ Sennheiser HD497

rolleyes.gif

what one would you WANT first?

Sep 3, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 26
i would get the V6 for $60 or $70. this was when sony made many more good products than they do now (they still make a few good ones tho). i think the V6 sounds much better than all of those, with the 497 and ksc-35 following... if you are going portable, you will probably want something that isolates... the V6 does that, the others dont. and if you want even more isolation, you could get the sennheiser HD280PRO which has better isolation and soundstage than the V6 at $100.

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #23 of 26
I bought a pair of the Senn HD497. Breaking them in right now. I bought them over the Grado because CompUSA didn't have a pair. I'll have to look for the SR60. I can't wait until these [497] are broken in

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #24 of 26
The HD 497s have great sound. I have had to STRETCH mine to make them comfortable, though. I keep them on a basketball much of the time. My view (and I have all 3), based purely on sound and my ignorant opinion:

Well, these are my three main phones!

Accuracy: V6 > HD 497 > SR 60 (hear all the music all the time)

Zingonocity: HD 497 > V6 > SR 60 (punchy bass, presence and what not)

Musicality: HD 497 > SR 60 > V6 (am I singing and boppin)

But they're each at least an 8 of ten for each category. If I had to keep one pair only, it'd be the V6s. All the music's there, all the time. If I could have lived without any of these three, I would've taken them back, I don't take a $60 or $70 purchase lightly.
smily_headphones1.gif
I get a real nice variety with these.

I'm listening on my HD 497s right now.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #26 of 26
Hey there. You can't go wrong with the SR60's but you may want to audition them and the Sony's first. The V6's are closed headphones, meaning they don't leak sound like an SOB. The SR60's are very open so if this is a problem for you this could be the reason to get one over the other.

As for sound, the SR60's could very well blow your mind. I have the 35's, and they are wonderful, they are my primary mobile headphone now. Why? Because they are small and have a short cord which does not annoy me while walking or running. The SR60's have this mammoth cord in comparison and running with them definitely causes some sweat build up. However, if mobility is not the prime directive here...the improvements in sound are substantial to these ears. I paid $50 Canadian for my KSC 35s, and $135 for my SR60's. In all of headphones, I will say the 35's are the best value. They are in my mind, worth $100 for what I can get out of them, and the fact that I can run with them...well that is one of the major advantages with them. I won't call them hi-fi though. I would say the SR60's are the first real step into the hi-fi world.

Go to a shop, bring you 35's, and switch up on a track you are familiar with. Beyond the immediate improvement, listen to all frequencies, listen to the soundstage width, the depth of the stage, extensions. If this does it for you, drop your cash and run
wink.gif
You will not be displeased I assure you. Now do the same for the Sony's as well. If possible, A/B all three of them. Buy the one that floats your boat more.

Good luck, and welcome to Head-fi. Oh yeah...when you hear the Grado SR60's I urge you NOT to listen to higher models...as you will be stricken with "upgradoitis"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back