Grado SR60 vs Senn PXC100
Apr 1, 2006 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

baxtermadux

New Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of each of these, and i am trying to compare them to see which i want to keep. only thing i want someone to help me understand is the difference in sound between them. i have been listening to both and the Senn's obviously have the better bass. but i have yet to be blown away by the grado's like i was expecting. i had used a pair of SR80's and thought they were great, so what am i missing? is it because im listening on an ipod, and the grados need more power? im just not sure they are worth the extra bucks i spent. someone give me a song to listen to where i can compare the two. i cant really see the big difference. thanks

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Burn in perhaps? Let the SR60s play for 50 hours and then listen again.

Also I don't know what they sound like on an ipod. I hear that the ipod doesn't have a lot of bass and maybe the senns match better with the ipod. The difference between the soundquality of your two headphones isn't that big either so it could be that the Senns sound better out of the ipod. But I don't know for sure since I've never actually listened to an ipod. (I presume you're talking about either the PX100 or PMX100. PXC100 doesn't exist AFAIK)

About the SR60 vs SR80. They should be close. The SR80 uses different pads and the pads used with Grados make a lot of difference in sound. Personally I don't like the stock pads of the SR60 at all. They muddle the sound and make the headphones sound somewhat shrill.
Do a search for Grado pads if you want to know more about this. There is a lot of discussion about this subject here.

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 16
it's said the SR60 is a bit muffled unless you cut a quarter hole in the pad: i've never listened to the SR60 without the whole so i wouldn't know but it may be worht a try...if you dn't want to hurt the pads, then take them off and put them on your head and see how the SR60 sounds then.
also: if you want to be thrilled: play a song that uses the electric guitar and maybe a good drum solo or two; the difference between the PX100 and the grado will be quite clear from that comparison.

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
also: if you want to be thrilled: play a song that uses the electric guitar and maybe a good drum solo or two; the difference between the PX100 and the grado will be quite clear from that comparison.

Can you recommend a song?

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by baxtermadux
i will try with the pads off, and then perhaps look at getting some bowl pads which i hear sound better.

That depends on who you talk to. A lot of people (myself included) prefer the flats or HD414 pads to the bowls.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

i heard the bowls offer more soundstage and are more comfortable. do you like the flats more because they have better bass?

From what I have been reading on the site I understand that bowls are most uncomforatble, but it is preference. Thats why im nervous about HF-1

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 16
You want a song?

No Quarter - Led Zeppelin

Thick, fat tone from the Les Paul and Grado are a match made in heaven.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoebus06
From what I have been reading on the site I understand that bowls are most uncomforatble, but it is preference. Thats why im nervous about HF-1

flats cost 7 dollars, you could just replace them if your worried about the bowls on the HF-1.

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 16
For which headphones? The HF-1? If so I'd try with the bowls first and IMO reversed senn pads are good too. I don't have flat pads but senns modded 'normally' don't sound too good with HF-1s. I would recommend the for the SR60s though.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 16
grados need more power than the ipod provides, and the ipod also has bass rolloff with low impedance phones that doesnt mesh well with the relatively tight grado bass... try them out of a receiver or a pcdp, and see what you think.

the px100s on the other hand synergize with the ipod quite nicely because their excessive bass is toned down and the ipods clean and detailed sound helps them out in that department.

ultimately the sr60s are snappier and more detailed, but personally I prefer the convenience and more natural/less piercing tone of the px100s.

jesse

ps I wouldnt go to the trouble of messing with the pads on the grados, its a huge hassle and doesnt make much difference. the problem is your ipod/grado combination, or that you just dont like the sound.

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
flats cost 7 dollars, you could just replace them if your worried about the bowls on the HF-1.

confused.gif

I think you're talking about the Senn HD414 pads. Flats are $30 and are only available through Todd.

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

i heard the bowls offer more soundstage and are more comfortable. do you like the flats more because they have better bass?

Well, something odd has happened. I have a new (to me, anyway) amp. I just tried my SR80's w/ the bowl pads for the first time with this amp. They sound so much better than with my Cmoy that I can't believe their the same headphones. The flats do offer more bass but it kinda throws the overall sound out of balance. With the flats the sound is more full and more...well, "hi-fi". Also, I don't know if my ears shrank or what, but suddenly the bowls fit circumaurally over my ears and are actually more comfortable than the flats. So, I must revise my previous statement and say that my preference in pads is completely dependent on my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back