Grado sr60 too uncomfortable??
Jun 23, 2002 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr_Underhill

New Head-Fier
I have heard a lot about the sr60 lately, most good. Except that almost every review I find says something about them being uncomfortable. Is this factual or are these people just being whiny? I use headphones mainly for playing games on the computer and sometimes attached to a Discman. If buying these phones is foolish please tell me. Also will I need to buy/make a headphone amp to hear these phones the way they are meant to be heard?

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi, Mr_Underhill, Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet.
The Grado's can be uncomfortable for some. To me their comfortable for about an hour or so after that they get uncomfortable. The Grado sr60 do have the comfy pads though which makes them more comforatable then the bowl pads. Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Hi, Mr_Underhill, Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet.
The Grado's can be uncomfortable for some. To me their comfortable for about an hour or so after that they get uncomfortable. The Grado sr60 do have the comfy pads though which makes them more comforatable then the bowl pads. Hope this helps.

Oddly, I find the bowl pads more comfortable. The 'comfy' pads are far itchier - like the cheapo Street Style phone pads. You can twist the bowl into an ellipsoid shape so that your ears sit just within the bowl. The staggeringly simple metal headband can also be carefully tweaked to provide just the right amount of pressure to the ears.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Hey personally i find them more comfortable then the sennheiser 580 (but i think im the only one.) It should be required to bend the headband backwards because it makes it so much more comfortable. i think because of how light weight they are and this trick they are incredibly comfortable. I really can barely feel them on.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Just bend the headband. That *should* fix the problem.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Oddly, I find the bowl pads more comfortable. The 'comfy' pads are far itchier - like the cheapo Street Style phone pads. You can twist the bowl into an ellipsoid shape so that your ears sit just within the bowl. The staggeringly simple metal headband can also be carefully tweaked to provide just the right amount of pressure to the ears.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I had the Grado sr60 for about a month and I have the sr80 now and I didn't find the comfy pads itchy at all.

Jun 23, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 12
w let me just say this is the by far the most helpful board I have ever posted on. Thanks for all the great advice I think the odds are pretty good I will buy these headphones. But if you would, I’m still wondering about the amplifier. Have any of you built your own or should I just buy one? I have a friend that has built his own out of an altiods tin; he says it works great (and in my opinion looks really bitchin}.

Jun 23, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Mr Underhill if your confident with a soldering iron then you could try to build one yourself or even have your friend help you or have him build you one. You could also have JMT or Tangent, who are members on this board, make you an altoid amps. Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I found the grados to be very unconftable and could not listen to them for very long but I dont think that they need a amp. If you want confort do a search on the philips 890s and you will know confort.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 12
No. I doubt head-fiers here are being whiny. The SR60s will really cause you pain due to their on the ear design which place pressure on your ears. I couldn't listen to them for more than 2-3 hours without taking a break. In contrast, with AKGs, I could listen to them for more than 5 hours without complains. There is no need for amping your Grados.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Underhill
I have heard a lot about the sr60 lately, most good. Except that almost every review I find says something about them being uncomfortable. Is this factual or are these people just being whiny? I use headphones mainly for playing games on the computer and sometimes attached to a Discman. If buying these phones is foolish please tell me. Also will I need to buy/make a headphone amp to hear these phones the way they are meant to be heard?

I have one fat, strange, ugly head, sitting attop my body. I am 300 lbs. 6'3". I had no problems with SR60 comfort. DID have problems with Beyer DT770's though, they were too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back