Grado SR60 to SR225(i) or Senn 595?
Jun 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 25
Either headphone will leave you impressed. The only thing I would consider would be the comfort level. After using my SR125s and my friend's SR225s for a bit, I can say without a doubt that they do get uncomfortable after a while because they just rest on your ears (super aural?) while the HD595s envelop your ears (circumnal). I use my 595s most of the time now because I can listen to them for longer periods of time and I believe that they sound flatter than the Grados. The Grados are always fun to listen too but are a little too bright for me for extended periods of time. They are a hell of a lot of fun though.
k701smile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #17 of 25
I reckon you've made a good call with the bowls. I've owned my grado SR80's for 5 years now, there only my second pair of headphones ever, and I really like how they sound.

I did fancy change though, and bought some bowls for them a few years back, and they really do make a difference, I prefer the sound now, but it isn't necessarily better, just different. I've been happily swapping between the flats and bowls for ages now. A good cheap way of experiencing a very different sound.

My house mates got a pair of the HD959, and as has been said, they are really different. Un-amped I think the grado's are a lot more lively, but trying them both through an amp, does make a difference. I'd say if you like the sound of your grado's then stick with them and try the bowls before swapping to the Senn's, unless you can give them both a good long listen.

Not sure what to do about the hiss though, sounds pretty off putting
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 25
So is TTVJ the only place that really sells the bowls?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 25
Got mine from my local hi-fi shop here in the UK, maybe worth checking?

Could also try a post in the classifieds? I've only just found this site but it seems that people are always changing bowls and pads ect. someone might have a pair kicking about they could let you have for nothing or next to nothing?

A simple google search yielded these at $15. First few results! You can't have been looking too hard
wink.gif

Grado Headphone Accessories

or these

Grado - Large - Replacement Ear Cushions-Audio Advisor

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is TTVJ the only place that really sells the bowls?

I got my Grados (and extra pads) from the Listening Station (Good Cans):

Headphone Accessories : Listening Station!, Specializing in Quality Headphones

I highly recommend them. They are fairly priced and Bill is really nice guy. Easy to deal with and very helpful.

Check them out.

jk

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine from my local hi-fi shop here in the UK, maybe worth checking?

Could also try a post in the classifieds? I've only just found this site but it seems that people are always changing bowls and pads ect. someone might have a pair kicking about they could let you have for nothing or next to nothing?

A simple google search yielded these at $15. First few results! You can't have been looking too hard
wink.gif

Grado Headphone Accessories

or these

Grado - Large - Replacement Ear Cushions-Audio Advisor

I do admit I was getting a tad lazy
tongue.gif
. Thanks guys for the links and the info. I think I'll try out the bowls first, and then if I'm still hungry for more, I'll get the SR225(i).

One more question: Why'd they change all the names to end in "i"? And what's the difference?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 25
they upgraded the models, most noticeable is the different look to the housing on the lower end models (more in line with the SR325 series) and a thicker cable on most models. Up to (and including) SR125i comes with the comfy pads now.
Haven't seen much sound comparisons but they still list the reviews for the non-i versions so they can't be that different.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 25
Just get the SR225i, especially if you listen to rock. These cans make you feel you're rockin on stage with the band. I've owned both the regular and "i" versions. I didn't notice a significant difference between the models. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I did noticed the "i" didn't roll the highs as much as the regulars, but only slightly. The "i" cables makes the overall weight much heavier and suppose to reduce the cable twist. I personally don't care for the thick cable, but the chamber enhancement is very nice improvement. Go for the "i" as it'll save you time, effort, and money of swapping to the latest model like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back