1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Grado SR60 replacement/aftermarket drivers?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by audiophile03, Aug 30, 2012.
  1. Audiophile03
    Tonight, I started getting some rattle in my left side and sounds like a partially blown driver or one on it's way out the door. I have the HEADPHONELOUNGE Vibro Mahogony cups and aftermarket wire. The soldiering is in great shape and there is no loose pieces in the wood cups so I have narrowed it down to the driver. I have googled and found very little info on aftermarket or factory replacement drivers for these headphones. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a pair of these drivers? Thanks for any help!

2. SONIC BOOM
    here are some aftermarket drivers :

http://www.symphones.ca/magnum.htm

3. Audiophile03
    Quote:
    $399 for replacement drivers!!! Wow. That is ridiculously expensive! Thanks for the link though [​IMG]

4. Brooko Contributor
    That was for the full mod - the drivers are $120 I think.

5. Audiophile03
    Oh, ok....$120 is still a good amount of dough but much more reasonable than $399 LOL [​IMG]

6. SONIC BOOM
    Quote:

Where can you buy just the drivers?

7. Brooko Contributor
  8. Audiophile03
    Can anyone who has these symphone drivers give their opinion or insight on if this upgrade is worth investing $140 into upgraded drivers for these headphones. I am seriously contemplating this but would really like to know if its worth it.

9. Brooko Contributor
  10. obobskivich
    Given that we're talking SR-60s - you could just buy another pair and rip the drivers out. Alternately you might contact Grado directly; it's not like they're a megacorp that won't deal with customers. :xf_eek:

Regarding replacements, I've read (but not confirmed) that the Koss DJ100/DJ200/TBSE1 (it's all basically the same headphone) has identical sized, but not identically spec'd, drivers. The DJ100 are usually around $50-$60, but I would not suggest just swapping one side and going with that - it'll sound very different. But again, quite honestly, since we're only talking SR60s, if Grado cannot help you out, I'd just buy another complete pair and rip them apart. Probably the cheapest option.