Grado SR60 or Grado SR80 ??????????
Dec 5, 2004 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

X14Halo

Head-Fier
Grado SR60 or Grado SR80 ?????????? i would be using it for gaming on my laptop, as well as listening to music through it and my iPod. Which one is better????????

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
out of a soundcard or ipod unamped, I would definitely say the SR60's. The SR80's can sound a little muddy without a good amp.

That is a common misconception. The SR80s pretty much reaches quite near its potential unamped, and the ipod definately has more than enough juice to drive a SR80. There is very little improvement on my SR80s when driven with an amp. "Muddy" and "murky" seems to be the buzzwords when people describe SR80s, probably because Headroom uses that word.

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_Killer
That is a common misconception. The SR80s pretty much reaches quite near its potential unamped, and the ipod definately has more than enough juice to drive a SR80. There is very little improvement on my SR80s when driven with an amp. "Muddy" and "murky" seems to be the buzzwords when people describe SR80s, probably because Headroom uses that word.

Amen. I owned both unamped and preferred the SR80.

Dec 5, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_Killer

100% correct. My SR-80's don't sound "murky" without an amp at all. In fact, ampless, their Grato is even worse! The amp improves the detail levels while attenuating the high-end harshess a tad, and fills in the bass while making it cleaner. I would definitely say my SR-80's benefit from an amp, at least using my AV-710 as a source. My MZ-S1 actually drives these very nicely even without an amp, and putting an amp unto the mix doesn't do much. I would recommend an amp for these, though.

Dec 6, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
100% correct. My SR-80's don't sound "murky" without an amp at all. In fact, ampless, their Grato is even worse! The amp improves the detail levels while attenuating the high-end harshess a tad, and fills in the bass while making it cleaner. I would definitely say my SR-80's benefit from an amp, at least using my AV-710 as a source. My MZ-S1 actually drives these very nicely even without an amp, and putting an amp unto the mix doesn't do much. I would recommend an amp for these, though.

Agreed. An amp would be better. Thats the case with every can I guess.

So the question comes down to what type of music do you plan to listen to? For rock and metal, SR80s kick ass as they are junior SR325s. For others maybe the SR60 is better.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 10
I have a pair of gr-60s twenty years old? So they are shot: worn out. Just got gr-80s. Same sound but newer: better dynamics(punchier) and more efficient. It is my understanding the 80s use the same drivers and construction as the 60s but the drivers are qc-ed and matched. Mint gr-80s off eBay or new gr-60s? Toss up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back