Grado SR60-Can't take it- What's the Next Step?
Oct 20, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Amras

New Head-Fier
Hi All-

Bought the SR60 and need some suggestions from the local gurus about my next purchase....

-First of all-- based on all the recommendations here I went with the 60 despite some warnings about the bright nature of Grado line and I probably shouldn't have.There's a lot to love with these cans- it moves and it grooves and it helps you remember why you loved certain songs from so many years ago. But I have come to realize that my ears are just plain overly sensitive to bright signatures. After many years suffering through upgraditus with my home stereo, I moved away from specific models from Marantz, Onkyo and Yamaha to smoother solutions like Rotel and Rega.

- My wish list-
*NOT BRIGHT, not even slightly - The Grado is giving me headaches- I can listen to only 30 minutes before the bleeding starts
*I listen to all kinds- but lean to more acoustic rock, vocals and Jazz
*Grado is like Rega- just plain musical- you cannot stop tapping your feet-Forget the hardware- Dig the tunes- LOVE THAT.
*More open soundstage
*More balanced- a little more neutral, but still musical.
*$200 cap- I stills gotta pay me bills.

Thanks in advance for your help, and for spending all my money.
wink.gif

Russ

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 30
The only higher end headphone I've had besides the MS-1 is my HD580. Highs are definitely toned down compared to the Grados so you won't have a problem brightness. HD580's have a much better soundstage. About the "fun" factor, I think the 580's are great! Closing my eyes and listening to the music is just awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
Another nice thing is they can be had for ~$120. For $200 you can get the HD600's but probably not HD650's.

Edit: My taste in music differs from yours though so take it for what it's worth. Check my last.fm (in sig) to see what music I listen to so you can take what I said in better context
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 30
Sounds like Sennheiser HD595 would fit the bill for you, around $200 from Headroom. Or maybe AKG 240S @ $130, also from Heardroom? Both fun but not as intense as Grado.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 30
So you want something groovy, fun yet smooth and not harsh? Sell the SR60 that'll give you $255 to throw around.

K240s + rockhopper mini^3

If thats still too forward and aggressive, then HD580 + mini^3.

I'd go with the AKG (personal preference).

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katysax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just about anything is going to sound better with an amp. You'd be better off spending $150 for an amp and $80 for some phones than $200 on the headphones.

x2... but then I am a big proponent of amping all my cans and IEMs.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 30
I would go with some sennheiser hd580's they're are right in your price range with a pretty laid-back sound. its nice and balanced and is just plain amazing when its amped

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 30
How does the 580 compare with the 595?

I did a quick search online and the 580 seems like it's in the $140-160 used, $180-200 new, range- Wouldn't the 595 be a better deal at $180 new?

Believe me, you're preaching to the choir when it comes to amping it. I think I'd rather spend around $200 on just the headphones now, and buy a good amp within the next year, than buy lower end versions of phones and amps now and then have to upgrade both later. I may be misguided on this -who knows...

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did a quick search online and the 580 seems like it's in the $140-160 used, $180-200 new, range- Wouldn't the 595 be a better deal at $180 new?

Believe me, you're preaching to the choir when it comes to amping it. I think I'd rather spend around $200 on just the headphones now, and buy a good amp within the next year, than buy lower end versions of phones and amps now and then have to upgrade both later. I may be misguided on this -who knows...

If you are planning on buying an amp in the future go with the 580's. I personally have never cared for the 595's or 555's with an amp it doesn't seem to do much for them in my opinion, not like the 580's using these unamped and then amped is worlds apart. Plus there are alot of people who prefer there 580's straight out of their iPod, while they sound okay that way a decent amp just makes them shine and makes you not regret spending $150 on them. There was no way I could have justified spending $195 on the 595's they don't do enough for me.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

'Tain't nothin' - absolutely nothin' - wrong with your approach. In fact, it's the sensible way to go, investining in high quality components and biding your time until you can afford the next link in your audio chain. Well crafted audio gear will last you many years, so no use forcing matters with cheaper wares if you have the patience to wait for your next upgrade.
cool.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

The 580s are far from lower-grade phones, but do require an amp. Many people prefer their sound to the Senn flagship, HD650s. If you can get a pair of 580s (they've been discontinued), grab 'em, enjoy them now, and know that you can build a system around them later as they scale really well with each improvement. Plus, they're really comfy. You can get a mini^3 for $125 from Rockhopper Audio (MisterX also builds them, but I don't know his price). You may run a bit over budget, but it would be worth it.

I've been listening half the evening with a mini^3 and the HD600s (very similar to the 580s), and I'm NOT a proponent of matching the Senns with portable amps when it can be avoided, simply because they sound so much better with a killer home amp. I gotta say, though, that even I'm a bit surprised, and for the price, I doubt you're not going to find better sound based on your tastes.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 30
Ok- just realized how much already posted comparisons there are between the 595 and 580-Just disregard- SORRY
icon10.gif

I hope it didn't seen like I was low-ending the 580, not at all- just surpised at how pricey these now hard to find, discontinued cans still are even used...

But I will ask this, having been unable to test a Senn at any local store...

Do I have to worry about brightness in any of the Senn line? Compared to Grado that is...

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 30
you should be pretty safe.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 30
I think according to your tastes you would love the hd580's. I just bought a second pair when I noted they are now discontinued. you can still find a few on ebay brand new. I also own grados and yes they are bright and can give you a headache if not worse if your not careful hehehe. but the s2225 is much smoother as well as the allessandro line. I also have a ms1 and a sr225 and think they are great but the hd580 is a good all round can, good for most music and yes you do need a amp to make it really it's best!

grados can sound fine without a amp but the hd580's and above really need a amp. your gonna get half the sound without a amp, they will still be good but you will be shocked how good they are with a amp!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back