Grado SR40
Jun 29, 2005 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
So my local Hi-Fi shop (Sound by Singer in NYC) had a pair of Grado SR40s. Apparently they were keeping them around for novelty value, and I snapped them up for $40. I must say, I'm a little dissapointed in the sound. I expected something closer to SR60, but the sound is quite a bit more tinny. It's got the Grado lower end to some degree, but it seems muddier. I don't think I'll be using these as much as I'd intended... but I am going to keep them for "what the heck" value.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
So my local Hi-Fi shop (Sound by Singer in NYC) had a pair of Grado SR40s. Apparently they were keeping them around for novelty value, and I snapped them up for $40. I must say, I'm a little dissapointed in the sound. I expected something closer to SR60, but the sound is quite a bit more tinny. It's got the Grado lower end to some degree, but it seems muddier. I don't think I'll be using these as much as I'd intended... but I am going to keep them for "what the heck" value.

WAH? I go in there all the time! Those traitors!
eek.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 13
They have any more? I'll give ya $60 for a pair!
eek.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Last pair, actually! They were right up by the front desk, just hanging in plain view. I hadn't seen them until now, for some reason! Nah, I don't think I'll mod them. I'd rather keep them in tip-top shape, in their box for the time being.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Yeah mine sound tinny and not so great as well, but i'm keeping them just cause people like Saturnine are willing to pay 60$ for them.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, they're no longer being made. No real big loss... seems like they're more a curiosity than anything else.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Yeah... tinney they are. the acoustics inside those earcups excite resonance around ~1300Hz... and its NASTY. Add to that the SR60 driver is very forward with upfront mids.... YUK!!!

I knocked a bunch of holes in mine to detune that cavity resonance. I also recabled to bring out more of the bass and reduce the mid recession. IMHO that OEM cable is pathetic, not much strain/bend relief at the plug, so I did a star-quad recab. I did the socket-smack mod to the foam pads and that opens them up further.

That being said... its still a fun can, kind of a novelty really.

Garrett

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 13
Hahaha man, I don't know if I'd put that much work into them. Were they able to approach SR60 quality with all those mods?

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 13
They were a curiosity for me as well. And grado threw them in for free fo my troubles....(took them a very long time to get me my RS-2's and my RA-1 about 3 years back) so for free I didnt complain and it made me forget about the extra time it took to ship the rest of my stuff.
joe

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiojoe1
They were a curiosity for me as well. And grado threw them in for free fo my troubles....(took them a very long time to get me my RS-2's and my RA-1 about 3 years back) so for free I didnt complain and it made me forget about the extra time it took to ship the rest of my stuff.
joe

You lucky person(not for the waiting part though)
biggrin.gif

The best I ever got free from Grado was a free set of comfies when my SR60's arrived back from repair last year. I had taken mine off to be cleaned, and stated this in the included repair/problem letter, but they must have missed it. Oh well, I ended up with a pair of modded comfies and a stock pair. Not bad.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey you know what, these SR40s are GREAT for jogging! They will have a usage afterall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back