Grado SR325i's
Dec 25, 2007 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
So now that I have some cash from x-mas, think i'm going to take a dive into my first real headphones. From reading this board it seems the SR325i's are pretty solid. Just one question though, are they a good pair for just about every type of music. I mainly listen to Rock, Alternative, Instrumental, but it can venture into just about everything, say from Led Zeppelin all the way to someone like the Beastie Boys. Just wondering if the 325i's were pretty solid for just about everything. thanks for any input

Dec 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 50
Yes, they are, but I would suggest tubes with them
cool.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 50
Grados have a very 'coloured' sound which means that they have a great variance in response over audio frequancies. This can be considered quite pleasing but I would recomend trying some first to see if you like the grado sound.

Dec 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 50
SR225 would perhaps be better choice as first Grado, as the highs on SR325i are quite offensive in treble and is an acquired taste more so than overall taste for Grado sound. If you ever find the highs not bright enough, then swap them for SR325i.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR225 would perhaps be better choice as first Grado, as the highs on SR325i are quite offensive in treble and is an acquired taste more so than overall taste for Grado sound. If you ever find the highs not bright enough, then swap them for SR325i.

sounds like a plan. thanks

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 50
I love my SR-325i. They sound great and I listen to a lot of rock and hip-hop. I.E. Zep and Beastie Boys, as well as showtunes, jazz, and my personal favorite music genre ska. They are very heavy though. When I switch over to my HF-1 it feels like I am wearing nothing.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 50
No need to spend lots of money. Get SR60s for $70 or if you don't like extra spicy, pick up Alessandro MS1s for $99. I like to call these teaser phones because they seduce with you with their voluptuous sound and then make you wonder (and hopefully, spend more money too) if these sound so good what must the way more expensive ones sound like? In any case do a search and you'll discover numerous threads that question the need to spend too much money for what many believe are just subtle improvements in the Grado sound. As for the need for tube amps one of the things I liked to do when I had SR325is was to ask someone to listen while the SR325is belted out some incredible piece of percussive music. Imagine their surprise when they saw my postage stamp sized G2 Shuffle dangling on the end of the cord. Moral of this story: Grados don't need extra special power to sound exceedingly good so don't bother.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to spend lots of money. Get SR60s for $70 or if you don't like extra spicy, pick up Alessandro MS1s for $99. I like to call these teaser phones because they seduce with you with their voluptuous sound and then make you wonder (and hopefully, spend more money too) if these sound so good what must the way more expensive ones sound like? In any case do a search and you'll discover numerous threads that question the need to spend too much money for what many believe are just subtle improvements in the Grado sound. As for the need for tube amps one of the things I liked to do when I had SR325is was to ask someone to listen while the SR325is belted out some incredible piece of percussive music. Imagine their surprise when they saw my postage stamp sized G2 Shuffle dangling on the end of the cord. Moral of this story: Grados don't need extra special power to sound exceedingly good so don't bother.

that sounds intriguing, the Alessandro MS1's might not be a bad idea. I am literally going for the first pair of real good headphones. I've been using some Sony noise canceling phones I bought at best buy years ago. Would it be best to just buy the 225's now and save the trouble of having to possibly upgrading?...then again i'm sure the alessandro's would last me a good while before I had to indulge in an upgrade.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 50
I do think your thoughts are in the right direction, SR225 I mean. But your question was about SR325i, so thats why I am not willing to say, buy SR225 because it will not make any difference, it will, SR325i are better phones. Better detail, better bass, better musicality. Well, they just better in every way, imo. And when you buy them used, the price tag isnt that far away from SR225 anyway.

As for the tube amp. You have to try to hear the difference, imo. They will sound way better when used with nice tube amp.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that sounds intriguing, the Alessandro MS1's might not be a bad idea. I am literally going for the first pair of real good headphones. I've been using some Sony noise canceling phones I bought at best buy years ago. Would it be best to just buy the 225's now and save the trouble of having to possibly upgrading?...then again i'm sure the alessandro's would last me a good while before I had to indulge in an upgrade.

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I wrote my initial post I was listening to AT AD700s but I soon found myself intrigued merely by writing about MS1s so I hooked them up and rediscovered why they're an excellent replacement for SR325is that cost $200 less. I returned the SR325is after deciding they weren't better than my HD600s or K701s because they lacked a broad soundstage and 3D instrument placement which is essential for the kind of modern classical music I like to listen to. However, the SR325is are phones that put a smile on my face and have lots of PRAT which is an acronym for finger snapping excitement. So you decide to forgo the cheapies and move up to SR225s or SR325is because they must be better or they won't cost more. But what about the RS1s ($500), RS2s ($700) and the GS1000s ($1K)? My God, how good can they get when the cheapies are so damn good? For me this is the Great Grado Curse that's really a mitzvah: If you're willing to trust your ears, you'll realize $69/$99 gives you most of the best of the rest without unnecessarily draining your wallet which is the other Curse few mortals who pass through these portals are ever able to avoid.

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 50
wae5 is right I own an RS-1 and a Alessandro MS1 and there' s not so much difference between those two cans, the sound of the RS-1 is kinda fuller and maybe is less fatiguing in a long term, but the difference in prize is way too much. As everything in this hobby it depends on how much you like to spend for minor improvements.. for some people even a small improvement justify thousand of dollars ...so it's up to you!

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 50
Usually, people are very price conscious early on and are not very willing to spend $200+ on their first set of real headphones. So they purchase the SR-60/SR-80/MS-1. After a few minutes of listening to them, they are amazed/blown away and are already planning their next purchase. If you're willing to spend a decent amount of money upfront, then go for the 325is. At home, I switch back and forth between these and my RS-1s. IMO, they are on the same level...they just have a different signature. The 325is are considered one of the most detailed cans on the market and have a bit more detail than the RS-1s. Now, if you're looking for better bass extension, then perhaps you can take a look at the RS-2. Or, if you're unwilling to spend that much money, the SR-80s or 225s are a good bet. If you decide you don't like them, you can resell them for 80-90% of their value here. But, if you go straight for the 325is, then you can skip that first step altogether.

The absolute best advice, obviously, is to find a shop around you that will let you demo these cans or go to a head-fi meet. Then you can make an informed decision and decide for yourself where your money is best spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back