Grado SR325i with Beyerdynamic earpad
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus

Much as I adore my 325, I can't stand the S-Cush, L-Cush or G-Cush. I like the size of the G-Cush but it's itchy and easily slips off the back of my head. I put the S-Cush on the 325 and attach onto it a Beyerdynamic velour earpad. It's now the same size as a G-Cush but comfortable and stays on the head. The S-Cush pushes onto the Beyerdynamic earpad via a 2mm plastic disc, like a CD but custom made with an outer diameter of 99 mm and an inner diameter of 65 mm. The S-Cush also has the quarter mod done. Bliss

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Very nice! I have done something similar with S-Cush glued on pleather ear pads from my Fostex T50rp. I make them very comfortable but the impact on the signature is too much. Maybe the trick is using velour pads like you. It allows for breathing more like the foam used by Grado.

I'm now using the L-Cush with my SR325 (all black) and like the result very much. I personally don't have slippery problem. They stay in place ans are comfortable even brand new. I thought I was going to need to wash them but no.

Enjoy ;-p

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 10
Living here in the tropics I could never substitute any velour or felt pads with pleather but the other way around.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 10
is that the earpad from the dt770?

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 10
How does it sound vs the g cush?

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Quote:

Hi,

I won't be able to express exactly the difference in sound but suffice to say, I like it. Let me put it another way. The G-Cush puts the drivers a bit further away from the ears compared to the original L-Cush and I found I actually prefer the sound with the S-Cush as the drivers are closer. I would suspect the Beyer pads material are less acoustically transparent than the foam-like G-Cush so it's kind of like the S-Cush sound but with Beyer comfort. I hope that makes sense.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 10
No makes perfect sense, I started running a g-cush just weeks ago on my sr225i's and hated it... then I opened up my cups and did some venting and Im pretty close to where I want to be sound wise... Maybe the Beyerdynamic pads will go on a future build...

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Much as I adore my 325, I can't stand the S-Cush, L-Cush or G-Cush. I like the size of the G-Cush but it's itchy and easily slips off the back of my head. I put the S-Cush on the 325 and attach onto it a Beyerdynamic velour earpad. It's now the same size as a G-Cush but comfortable and stays on the head. The S-Cush pushes onto the Beyerdynamic earpad via a 2mm plastic disc, like a CD but custom made with an outer diameter of 99 mm and an inner diameter of 65 mm. The S-Cush also has the quarter mod done. Bliss

Will this mod also work with PS500?

I have the G-cush on these and agree on the artefacts you mentioned.

Quote:
No makes perfect sense, I started running a g-cush just weeks ago on my sr225i's and hated it... then I opened up my cups and did some venting and Im pretty close to where I want to be sound wise... Maybe the Beyerdynamic pads will go on a future build...

Exactly what venting did you do..? A photo of this would be helpful. I'm thinking of *maybe* try cutting off some of the foam.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 10
It should work with the PS500 but you'd have to get the S Cush. In fact when the glue on my custom plastic ring got unstuck I didn't even bother sticking it back on. Firstly I have the option of just using the S Cush when lying in bed. Secondly I find the S Cush pushing on the custom ring actually keeps the ring and this the Beyer pads in place just because of the tension in the headbands. Just don't dance some head banging tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back