Grado SR325i Amp and Dac suggestions? Little Dot 1+?
Nov 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am just reading up on amps and dacs that pair well with Grado line of headphones. It seems universal that the Little Dot I+ is the amp to get, however I am not sure if a dac is something I should also buy. 

My set up would be Macbook Pro -> amp/dac -> headphones. 

I'm not sure I want to spend $300 right now for an amp and dac, but I am definitely willing to spend $150 for one of them. Can someone coach me through this?

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 25
My SAD-25 paired well with my old Grados, but given the opportunity I think I may enjoy tube rolling more. Seems like a fun easy way to tinker. You could also try an SMSL DAC with the little dot amplifier if the budget allows.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 25
How much better is the little dot i+ and a dac over the hifiman ef2a which comes with a dac for much less than the little dot + dac combo

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 25
  How much better is the little dot i+ and a dac over the hifiman ef2a which comes with a dac for much less than the little dot + dac combo

I am listening to my MBP/LD1+/Modi (DAC) and SR325is's, and let me tell you IMO the sound is fantastic!!! The Modi is $99.00U.S., and i'd guess you already know the price for the LD1+. 
You can't go wrong, pull the trigger!!! BTW, I did change my tubes and the OPAMP in the LD, I think the total was about $15.00U.S.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 25

I am listening to my MBP/LD1+/Modi (DAC) and SR325is's, and let me tell you IMO the sound is fantastic!!! The Modi is $99.00U.S., and i'd guess you already know the price for the LD1+. 
You can't go wrong, pull the trigger!!! BTW, I did change my tubes and the OPAMP in the LD, I think the total was about $15.00U.S.

One question regatding LD1+. How do you integrate the LD with your setup if AFAIR it does not have IN and OUT pass-through connection? Using a splitter or what?

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 25

I've never heard the Hifiman EF2A, so I can't comment,but I'm sure someone else can.

One question regatding LD1+. How do you integrate the LD with your setup if AFAIR it does not have IN and OUT pass-through connection? Using a splitter or what?

MBP's USB output, to the Modi, then the Modi's L/R output, to the LD1+ L/R input, headphone output from the LD1+.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 25

I've never heard the Hifiman EF2A, so I can't comment,but I'm sure someone else can.

MBP's USB output, to the Modi, then the Modi's L/R output, to the LD1+ L/R input, headphone output from the LD1+.

So you don't have any amp in-between? I do, so wondering how I would connect LD on mu case?

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 25
So you don't have any amp in-between? I do, so wondering how I would connect LD on mu case?

Yes, I have the Little Dot 1+ amplifier, which my headphones are plugged into.
My sources are:
MBP
Schiit Modi (DAC)
LD1+ Amplifier
Headphones
I don't understand what you mean by- I don't have an amp in-between.
Do you follow what I'm saying now?

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 25
Here is a link to the ef2a amp + dac combo

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-EF2A-HIFIMAN-EF-2A-HEADPHONE/dp/B004357WL8

Does anyone know anything about it?

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 25

Yes, I have the Little Dot 1+ amplifier, which my headphones are plugged into.
My sources are:
MBP
Schiit Modi (DAC)
LD1+ Amplifier
Headphones
I don't understand what you mean by- I don't have an amp in-between.
Do you follow what I'm saying now?

LD1+ does have only one pair of analogue audio in and no outputs, so my dac has also one audio output so if I need to be able to connect DAC to the amp I need either go to the amp and from the amp out to the LD1 or use a splittet to be able to connect DAC to both LD and amp at one time, right?

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 25
LD1+ does have only one pair of analogue audio in and no outputs, so my dac has also one audio output so if I need to be able to connect DAC to the amp I need either go to the amp and from the amp out to the LD1 or use a splittet to be able to connect DAC to both LD and amp at one time, right?

The LD1+ is the amplifier, and yes it has 1 L/R (RCA) input only.
[size=x-small]​The Modi is the Digital to Analog Converter[/size][size=x-small], which has 1 L/R (RCA) output and (1) A male to B male input.[/size]
[size=x-small]The MBP has 2 USB connections.[/size]
[size=x-small]Using a USB A male to B male cable, coming out of the MBP going into the Modi, then using the L/R output from the Modi, going into the L/R input to the LD1+, then plugging your headphones into the headphone output on the LD1+. If I understand you correctly, you are not realizing that the LD1+ is the amplifier…Am I correct?[/size] You do not need any splitter at all for these 3 components (MBP/Modi/LD1+) to work with each other, all you need is (1) L/R RCA cable, and (1) USB A male to B male cable.

You can also use the headphone output from the MBP and go directly into the L/R LD1+ by using a 1/8 mini to L/R RCA which comes  with the LD1+ when you purchase it, but at this point there will be no DAC in this configuration. If this is not clear to you, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to explain this to you again.

I don't know why the fonts are smaller then larger, I did not do this.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 25
How is the DAC on the2013 macbook? If I bought the little dot, would a DAC be necessary? What is more important, a DAC or Amp?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 25
How is the DAC on the2013 macbook? If I bought the little dot, would a DAC be necessary? What is more important, a DAC or Amp?

Amp since I have DAC as separate device.

I have Marantz PM6004 integrated amp and a DAC connected to the amp over the analogue outs. The DAC does not have any additional analogue outs. Source is MPPro connected to that DAC over the spdif.

So where I should to put the headphone amp? I am gonna use Ld1+ which also does not have any analogue outs. Should I use RCA splitter on my DAC outs or connect headphone amp to the tape out on Marantz to get the best sound?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 25

The dac on the MBP is supposed to be pretty good, but probably not as good as an external dac.
Pop a Cd into the superdrive on the MBP and plug your headphones into the headphone output on the MBP and listen to see if you like the sound. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 25
The dac on the MBP is supposed to be pretty good, but probably not as good as an external dac.
Pop a Cd into the superdrive on the MBP and plug your headphones into the headphone output on the MBP and listen to see if you like the sound. 

Definitevely not as good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back