grado sr225s driver question?
Apr 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

catsoup

Head-Fier
okay, so i have a pair of sr225s and they work almost perfectly. almost. ive taken one driver out because it stopped working. it works, but its very quiet, and doesnt sound full, i noticed that a very very small amount of pressure, if applied to the center of the clear film part makes it sound perfect again. light as in barely touching it. what can i do to solve this? any ideas as to the cause?

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 10
I was hoping that by now some of the real experts would be here to lend some of their wisdom. But since it's just me instead.......I'm stumped!!

But since the driver is only plastic, a hairdryer with heat activated may uh, melt something?? But if you're using it without heat after re-installing it in the housing to simply re-seat it or get rid of "Grattle"(which you didn't say that you had anyway)it probably wouldn't hurt if if the pressure differential isn't too severe. If you do it with the driver still ouside of the housing though; who knows!!?

My concern would be that no matter what was done, if the driver wasen't exactly the same as before, that the .1db matching would go right out the window. The ideal of course would be to return them to the factory for a repair or matching new driver.

....what fun is that
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 10
If you could post some pictures of whats going on inside maybe it would give people a better idea of whats going on... not that i know much about the inside of headphones... ive never opened up my sr-225s... but then again they are pretty new
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
My concern would be that no matter what was done, if the driver wasen't exactly the same as before, that the .1db matching would go right out the window.

I agree completely; you might be able to devise an ad hoc solution, but I'd be surprised if it ended up giving you the 99.99% you deserve from those cans. Is this a new problem or did the 225's arrive like this? Have they been exposed to heat, dropped a lot, are your ears freakishly hairy? A little more info might help.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 10
i purchased these used, and broken. the person i purchased them from tried to fix them and damaged them. so. I dont know what to do.

will grado fix them for a fee if they are old?

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catsoup
i purchased these used, and broken. the person i purchased them from tried to fix them and damaged them. so. I dont know what to do.

will grado fix them for a fee if they are old?

Grado WILL fix them for a very reasonable fee; right now the standard fee for a pair of SR60s is $25 regardless of what is broken. I sent in a very tired pair, and rather than fix them, they just sent me a new pair, no problem. I've now dealt with other headphone company customer support people, and for this Grado wins hands down. If you email them, they'll quote you a fee for SR225 service.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
Grado WILL fix them for a very reasonable fee; right now the standard fee for a pair of SR60s is $25 regardless of what is broken. I sent in a very tired pair, and rather than fix them, they just sent me a new pair, no problem. I've now dealt with other headphone company customer support people, and for this Grado wins hands down. If you email them, they'll quote you a fee for SR225 service.

I knew that Grado did repairs, but had no idea it was that reasonable!

Can'y hardly beat that!!

Now I feel even better about my Grado purchasses!!

-----------------------

(........nice car, by the way, HV......almost got an HK but bought a big Healey instead. The HK had parts availability problems.)
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catsoup
even if someone attempted to repair them?

I took it to mean that Grado would repair them at that cost, even off warranty.
smily_headphones1.gif

....I think.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back