Grado sr225i vs Denon 1100 vs Beyer 770 vs Sennheiser PC 360
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

obli

New Head-Fier
Hey HeadFi community,

I spent the last 10 hours or so browsing and reading about headphones.
My birthday is coming up so I decided to treat myself to a present :)

I need headphones for home use.
I have a laptop, but I'm going to buy the Asus Xonar U1 external sound card, which has 5.1 and Dolby Headphone.
My music is in flac, and 60% of the time I listen to metal (Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head etc), the other 40% are grunge or post-grunge and Hardstyle/Hardcore. I enjoy good bass, but not overwhelming and I dont like piercing treble. 

I also plan to watch movies in HD and play some games (but not precision shooters, CounterStrike days are over). 
A mic is not an issue, as I have one in a laptop.

I dont have an amp and I dont want to buy one.

I'm stuck on the following choices:
Grado sr225i
Denon AH-D1100
Beyerdynamics 770 Pro
Sennheiser PC 360

They all have cons and pros, but I still havent found a single review which includes my likes in music.

Maybe you can help me to decide? :)

Thanks in advance!

PS: If I go for sr225i, I will use the Grado 3.5" converter jack.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 6
The Asus Xonar U1 comes with a built in headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Have you checked out the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card?
The Sennheiser PC360 appears to be a HD-558 with a mic built in and the HD-558 is way cheaper in price.
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm is great for someone looking for great sound with lots of quality bass.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
The Asus Xonar U1 comes with a built in headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms.
Have you checked out the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card?
The Sennheiser PC360 appears to be a HD-558 with a mic built in and the HD-558 is way cheaper in price.
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm is great for someone looking for great sound with lots of quality bass.

Hey,  thanks for the reply.
They dont sell Xonar U3 in my country :frowning2: Is it much better?

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Hey,  thanks for the reply.
They dont sell Xonar U3 in my country :frowning2: Is it much better?

The U3 is newer, otherwise do not know.
Maybe you can find the U3 mail order.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 6
I'll probably buy the U3 on ebay, it looks like it has a better design, so there wont be any problems with connecting the headphones.

Can't anyone comment on the choices? I really need some help with deciding which to buy :frowning2:

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I'll probably buy the U3 on ebay, it looks like it has a better design, so there wont be any problems with connecting the headphones.
Can't anyone comment on the choices? I really need some help with deciding which to buy :frowning2:

The Xonar U3 has a headphone amplifier, rated up to about 150-Ohm.
Plugs into a USB port.
Will do Dolby Headphone 5.1.
It's small (smaller then the Xonar U1).
Cheaper then the Xonar U1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back