Grado sr225i - Sitting outside in 30F temp, should I let them sit inside for a few hours before first use?
Dec 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maxsmell

New Head-Fier
The thread title is my main question.  I get my 225's delivered today (excited as hell!) and won't be able to take them inside until I get home from work.  They will be sitting in 30F weather for a few hours.  Should I unpack them and let them sit at room temp for a few hours?

This might sound like a silly or overprotective thing to do, but the cost of these headphones makes me cautious.  I figure if I start using them out of the box there might be additional strain on the diaphram, etc.

Thoughts?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 6
I would let them sit at room temperature for a little while. Don't take chances.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
You're pretty much safe from breaking them before letting them warm up.  Basically it's a magnet, magnet wire, and a mylar diaphragm.  The only thing I can think of that could break if it was cold enough would be the glue holding the mylar in place over the magnet and magnet wire or the glue holding the magnet wire onto the underside of the mylar.  If one of those comes loose, you've got a busted driver right there. 

However, I received a pair of Beyers that were quite cold when I put them on to take a listen and there was a definite difference after I let them warm up to room temperature.  Definite. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I would let them sit at room temperature for a little while. Don't take chances.

Quote:
I received a pair of Beyers that were quite cold when I put them on to take a listen and there was a definite difference after I let them warm up to room temperature.  Definite. 

Thanks for the input.  I think I'll resist the urge to try them out of the box lol

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm actually finding the headband to be comfortable so far.  Maybe with time it'll start digging into my skull.  Thanks for the recommendation, I looked up the padding and it seems affordable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back