Grado sr225
Nov 8, 2008 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
I have 2 questions about the sr225
1) Would using a good amp with it improve the sound quality enough to justify buying one?
2) If so, what portable amp would you recommend?
I will be listening to music through my 80 GB ipod classic at home or on long car trips so i need the amp to be portable.
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks!

edit: one more question do i need to use a mini-adapter to plug into an amp or does it accept 1/4" plug

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi

The simple answer is yes, the 225 sounds better when driven with an amp. There are plenty of amps under and around $100. I use the Headroom Total Airhead with great results. It's worth the investment. It uses a mini to mini plug.

Ross

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2 questions about the sr225
1) Would using a good amp with it improve the sound quality enough to justify buying one?

yes. Difference won't be night and day, but SR-225 does benefit from amping

Quote:

I will be listening to music through my 80 GB ipod classic at home or on long car trips so i need the amp to be portable.
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks!

depends on your price range. I personally liked Corda Move for around 200$ range, and if you can fork our for one, Pico with DAC or without were quite good with grados.

Quote:

edit: one more question do i need to use a mini-adapter to plug into an amp or does it accept 1/4" plug

you need a mini-adapter such as this one :Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

cheers!

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 13
thanks for the help guys
any other suggestions, my price range is about $100-$200.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 13
buy the corda headsix
the size and power will amazing you

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 13
I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but if you can I'd highly recommend it. I find with my amp, the highs are tame without losing clarity, the vocals are oh so smooth and the bass has a little more oomph.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 13
I guess I'm going to just reinforce everyone: my SR325s work great with my Corda Move and iPod. The difference for me is mainly in how "real" the music sounds, and though without the amp the combo is fine, I prefer to use the amp when I can.

That's my preferred around-the-house setup when I don't want to be tethered.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm going to just reinforce everyone: my SR325s work great with my Corda Move and iPod. The difference for me is mainly in how "real" the music sounds, and though without the amp the combo is fine, I prefer to use the amp when I can.

325is are good pair of cans; unfortunately, they're extremely fatigue-inducing and in my opinion, they do need a tubey amp to tame those highs.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Yes, but only if you also upgrade your source. The SR-225 sounds terrific when plugged directly into an iPod, though.
Quote:

None. I don't think the SR-225 benefits from an amp unless the amp is geared towards Grados and delivers the current necessary to drive them properly (Gilmore Lite, Dynalo, some tube amps). Unless you get the gear right and invest in it with the specific intention of making the SR-225 sound its best, your money will be wasted.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 13
A Total Bithead (amp and DAC) for $150 is pretty good deal. If you will be listening off your laptop, the DAC is nice. The Total Bithead also has a good crossfeed circuit (which I really like). I've been using mine with my laptop for the last few years. My phones? Usually Grado 325i.

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 13
What about at home amps? I keep hearing people say you should get a tube amp with the 225s.

I was thinking of getting the Little Dot +I Hybrid with the EF92 tubes to start. Anyone have an experience with 225 and tube amps/ what tubes work well with 225s? looking to spend 150~ or less.

Edit: Also, I listen to a lot of hip hop and old funk and soul.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontgetpwned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about at home amps? I keep hearing people say you should get a tube amp with the 225s.

I was thinking of getting the Little Dot +I Hybrid with the EF92 tubes to start. Anyone have an experience with 225 and tube amps/ what tubes work well with 225s? looking to spend 150~ or less.

Edit: Also, I listen to a lot of hip hop and old funk and soul.

Spend an extra $50 and get the Little Dot MKIII - you won't be sorry.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontgetpwned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
---- I was thinking of getting the Little Dot +I Hybrid with the EF92 tubes to start. Anyone have an experience with 225 and tube amps/ what tubes work well with 225s? ----

I started a thread about the Little Dot I+ with stock tubes here ---> Initial impressions - Little Dot I+ hybrid tube/transistor headphone amplifier

So far it has not looked all that promising to mate Grado SR-225 to the Little Dot I+ with the stock tubes, but I shall soon find out for certain.

I am at about the 90-hour mark for burn in. I shall be completing a full follow up review soon after I pass the 100-hour mark.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back