Grado SR225 Thread
May 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #811 of 831
  You can get a balanced cable for grado sr 225e?

Yes, four ways to do it

1. open up the cups and install new balanced cable

2. cut and re-terminate the 1/8 end with balanced plug

3. cut the cables by the cups and install plugs so you can switch cables between SE and balanced

4. install jacks in the ear cups so you can change cables easily between SE and balanced

FWIW, heard a GS-1000e on a balanced setup and didn't make a difference from SE

May 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #812 of 831
  Yes, four ways to do it

1. open up the cups and install new balanced cable

2. cut and re-terminate the 1/8 end with balanced plug

3. cut the cables by the cups and install plugs so you can switch cables between SE and balanced

4. install jacks in the ear cups so you can change cables easily between SE and balanced

FWIW, heard a GS-1000e on a balanced setup and didn't make a difference from SE

thank you, but if there are no major differences I remain unbalanced.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #816 of 831
  Hello, you who like me you have the 225, with which you dap occoppia fine for not having a sharp sound and tiring?
The 225 is wound a little tiring as the sound I tried with iBasso dx 80 a disaster, very sharp sound, you who dap advise me who have a warm and detailed example fiio x7, x5, Onkyo dp x1?

Did you find the DX-80 sharp and tiring even in Low Gain mode, In high gain mode or both?

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #818 of 831

Did you find the DX-80 sharp and tiring even in Low Gain mode, In high gain mode or both?

the DX80 was tiring listening with akjr too smooth and not detailed, with dp x1 sound had no body and at times it was hard, I took ....... x5ii and are happy !!!! robust and full-bodied sound, detailed and non-fatiguing.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #819 of 831
Just had a fellow Head-Fi person over who brough his Hugo and Ether C, the Hugo was a great match with SR-225e, or any bright headphone like the HD-800 and HD-700 that we tried.  Only thing was the HD-800 didn't do vocals too well due to the wide sound stage but for classical and jazz it was great.  The SR-225e sounded about as good as I've ever heard it, nice low end that was tight and the overall sound was very balanced with no sibilance or harshness in the highs.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #820 of 831
  the DX80 was tiring listening with akjr too smooth and not detailed, with dp x1 sound had no body and at times it was hard, I took ....... x5ii and are happy !!!! robust and full-bodied sound, detailed and non-fatiguing.

Ok.. I asked because The DX-80 is far better in lo-gain on the 225e. It was the device I was ordering and your comments made me think twice about buying it.
Anyway. Happy to say that listing to my DX-80 in lo gain, EQ=off, sharp roll off. It sounds pretty good through the SR225e. None of the issues you spoke of. So I guess your tastes and or hearing is a bit different than mine.. Only tired I am getting is listing so long that the cups start irritate my ear lobes..

For the money spent DX-80 Sr225e combo is pretty solid choice...

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #821 of 831

Ok.. I asked because The DX-80 is far better in lo-gain on the 225e. It was the device I was ordering and your comments made me think twice about buying it.
Anyway. Happy to say that listing to my DX-80 in lo gain, EQ=off, sharp roll off. It sounds pretty good through the SR225e. None of the issues you spoke of. So I guess your tastes and or hearing is a bit different than mine.. Only tired I am getting is listing so long that the cups start irritate my ear lobes..

For the money spent DX-80 Sr225e combo is pretty solid choice...

I listen thrasch metal and the right was too sharp with this music

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #822 of 831
Sorry to revive an old thread but this seemed liked the best place to ask this question.

I picked up a pair of sr225e's, I wanted something that really brought metal and rock to life (I use a q701 for classical and a hd6xx with tubes for general purpose). I'm running them off a schiit modi 3/Schiit heresy combo. I considered grados as my first headphone was an sr80 that I modified extensively that I remember sounding pretty amazing, but that was a long time ago.
I'm wondering what were the best mods you've all done to improve this headphone? I find the highs screechy and not very refined

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #823 of 831
Sorry to revive an old thread but this seemed liked the best place to ask this question.

I picked up a pair of sr225e's, I wanted something that really brought metal and rock to life (I use a q701 for classical and a hd6xx with tubes for general purpose). I'm running them off a schiit modi 3/Schiit heresy combo. I considered grados as my first headphone was an sr80 that I modified extensively that I remember sounding pretty amazing, but that was a long time ago.
I'm wondering what were the best mods you've all done to improve this headphone? I find the highs screechy and not very refined
If the 225e is brand new I'd let them burn-in for a time (50-100hrs) before passing judgement. If they already have a few hundred hours on them I'd open them up and put some dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver magnet (don't cover any vent holes on the magnet housing) or even better a patch of sorbothane on the driver magent (50duro, most common available on amazon). Next I'd try different ear pads, the OEM L-pads are just way too uncomfortable for me so I mostly use generic G-pads ($5-6 on fbay).

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #824 of 831
If the 225e is brand new I'd let them burn-in for a time (50-100hrs) before passing judgement. If they already have a few hundred hours on them I'd open them up and put some dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver magnet (don't cover any vent holes on the magnet housing) or even better a patch of sorbothane on the driver magent (50duro, most common available on amazon). Next I'd try different ear pads, the OEM L-pads are just way too uncomfortable for me so I mostly use generic G-pads ($5-6 on fbay).
Awesome! Thank you for these tips!

Have you done the hole punch mod?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #825 of 831
Awesome! Thank you for these tips!

Have you done the hole punch mod?
Haven't punched any holes on my SR225e since with the added dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet and the use of generic G-pads it has more than enough bass for me. The only Grado that I punched holes is a old SR60, made 3 holes and used dynamat around each hole to keep the bass tight. I think there might be some pictures in my Gallery showing the SR60 with all the mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back