Grado SR225 Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #586 of 831
The original ps500 would suit you well then, a bit more expensive but less top end emphasis.

Thanks, I considered those for a while but I just bought the Fidelio X2 which turned out to be near perfect for me
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #587 of 831

Suggestion, remove the pads and wash them in warm water with some mild clothes detergent and softener in it, Rinse well and let them air dry. They will be much softer and more comfortable and there should be no rash, unless you are allergic to plastic <g>

This actually took me a while to understand.
I didn't know Grados were over ear. I wore them on ear (back of the pads pressed on my ears) because the soundstage opened up and I could hear sub bass, that's what I assumed they were supposed to originally sound. I DID wear the headphones so that the plastic was on my ears, but the coloration was so weird on the Grados that I thought I was wearing them wrong.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #589 of 831
Hi! just got my first grado headphones, the sr225e, a few days back.  Do these need burning in? I feel like they need to open up a bit more, somehow I'm wanting more of the treble that I thought the grado headphones had.  So far I'm a little underwhelmed.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #590 of 831
  Hi! just got my first grado headphones, the sr225e, a few days back.  Do these need burning in? I feel like they need to open up a bit more, somehow I'm wanting more of the treble that I thought the grado headphones had.  So far I'm a little underwhelmed.

When I got my 225's I remember them being very bright and harsh  out of the box. It took a few days of burn in for them to tame down.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #591 of 831
I wore the SR225's for 4 hours straight now, and still wearing them With the reverse bowl mod.

In the meantime though, wood cups for Grados are expensive! $90 Canadian for a wood slip on is quite the price.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #592 of 831
I just got my SR225e a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it.  The only issue I have is that the cord is a little too short and a little heavy for such light headphones.  I'm going to the Grado mod thread to look and get ideas for changing the cord.  Since these are my first Grado headphones the sound signature was quite a bit different from what I was used to (HIFIMAN, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica) but with certain types of music this is a very addicting sound, I liked it so much that I ordered a RS2e, just love the looks of the wood (like my HE-560 and LCD-2).  Really like these since they sound great using my Fiio X3 and even better with my Bifrost/Lyr2 (low gain).
I really want to say thanks to all the members who post with their comments, this helps take out some of the guess work when buying audio equipment which is very subjective and personal.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #594 of 831

I've owned two 325is, two 225i and currently have a 225e. There's very little to choose between the sound of the 325i & 225i - they are both bright headphones. The difference in build quality (and price!) far outweighs the difference in sound. I personally prefer the 225i as it's much lighter on the head, although the leather headband on the 325i is much better than the plastic one on the 225i (this can be upgraded though.)

The 225e has more bass and is a little less bright than the 225i. I've not heard a 325e, but I'd be shocked if it sounded very different from the 225e.

Ouch! I was looking longingly at the 325e, and I own the 225i with e-drivers. I was thinking the aluminium might pull accuracy a step closer.

There is a wider frequency response on the 325e. While that makes no odds to what I will hear in range, I wondered why. It suggests the 325e could have a different driver. Unless it's the 325's improved acoustic chamber that allows it to operate with increased frequency range.

What worries me about the 225 range is the original 225 only ever gained a 4/5 star award. (Anywhere that I saw, that is.) The original SR225 received 4/5 from What Hi-Fi. The 225i gets 4/5 stars and a recommended from Hi-Fi Choice, (it's on the box of mine).

It makes me question the construct. The upgrades the 225 has over the 125 are driver and grill, (ignoring the pads). What I mean is this. I sometimes wonder if the 225 doesn't quite have the acoustic properties in its body to contain and fully harness the upgrades. Leaving it a little un-refined. Please don't jump on me to defend your 225e over this, and let me elaborate on my 225e impressions. I love the sr225i with e-drivers!

The thing is that our impressions change over time. When we buy new phones or any audio upgrade we are firstly struck by how much better they are. Then when accustomed we love them for what they are and are still hearing things new in the mix. Then finally we begin to see limitations in them.

E.g. I used to listen to my PC on ear-buds. I put SR225i/e on my PC and instantly I was blown away. I was not only impressed by the astronomical difference between only low quality buds and the Grado. I was astonished that the motherboard was pumping out such quality audio. Others are experiencing this too recently. Check out this thread for more on that. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754695/asrock-z97-e-itx-ac-outperforms-my-bifrost-and-crack-hd-600

However I could hear where the on-board audio was letting go. Anyway, because of this I decided time to get a DAC, and bought the Meridian Explorer. Now I have had that for a while I am seeing where the ME and the 225i are falling short. I know I will never get the best from my phones without a dedicated headphone amp. However I am sure I can get more from the DAC with better phones. The ME is good DAC with its own headphone amp so 325e or RS2e should make is shine even more. 

I just can't get past the fact that the 225 range never gained higher than 4/5 stars in pro-reviews. I have a sneaky suspicion the 225e might though, or it would be close.

RE the headband though. I think I prefer the 225 headband, over the 325 headband. I like the 225 headband on mine. Plus it will never have the leather scent; not that I object to leather in any way. I find the leather headband unnecessarily opulent.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #595 of 831
Well looks like iv got a set of  SR 225i  on the way, I know these are a old headphone now, been out a bit, and all that, but reckon I got a good deal New. Already got  the SR 60, and the SR325i bronze, both about 10 years ago, and both still mint....And still sound good, along with my mint condition Senn HD 580, also.....So hopefully the 225i will arrive in a few days, And ill give them a try with my Schiity Magni 2  amp...
Then get back to you......ooh, I just love Headfi......lol

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #596 of 831
My SR 225i  Came today, right out of the box which is a light pale green colour, the cables much thicker than my grado sr 325i bronze, and a little shorter....But looking inside I can see the RED drivers...does this mean they maybe the newer E type ???....there is no number on box, etc...only the sellers number on the back, serial number, etc....What do you think ?...
Also right out of the box into my schiit magni 2 they sound  very good....and this can only get better.....was a bit light when first turned d on.....But then I squeezed the jack into my grado extension lead a bit and  wow much better......had me fooled for a bit..hopefully all ok from now on.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #597 of 831
Quote:
  My SR 225i  Came today, right out of the box which is a light pale green colour, the cables much thicker than my grado sr 325i bronze, and a little shorter....But looking inside I can see the RED drivers...does this mean they maybe the newer E type ???....there is no number on box, etc...only the sellers number on the back, serial number, etc....What do you think ?...
Also right out of the box into my schiit magni 2 they sound  very good....and this can only get better.....was a bit light when first turned d on.....But then I squeezed the jack into my grado extension lead a bit and  wow much better......had me fooled for a bit..hopefully all ok from now on.

I asked the same question about the SR225i, that I bought. This thread is the question and it was conclusive 'red drivers are e-drivers'.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/754371/grado-sri-red-drivers-are-they-sre-drivers/15#post_11448327

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #598 of 831
Green Bow......that's good then, as I got them from a ebay seller from Scotland at a good price....I have seen your thread, which ill have a read later of the links you posted up, could be interesting.
I have the sr 325i already.......so later when these have been used a bit , ill do a check between the pair.. at the minute id say they are different, but both good to me....I do like the grado sound though....my other phones are the sr 60.   and the senn HD 580......both still mint and 10 years old.....cheers for reply mate....martyn

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #599 of 831
  Well looks like iv got a set of  SR 225i  on the way, I know these are a old headphone now, been out a bit, and all that, but reckon I got a good deal New. Already got  the SR 60, and the SR325i bronze, both about 10 years ago, and both still mint....And still sound good, along with my mint condition Senn HD 580, also.....So hopefully the 225i will arrive in a few days, And ill give them a try with my Schiity Magni 2  amp...
Then get back to you......ooh, I just love Headfi......lol

Tried my SR-225e with my modi/magni stack and the sound was really bright.  It actually sounded better with my X3 (no EQ), and really good with UD-301 DAC and Project Ember (bugle boy tube).  I know they made some changes to the Magni2, what are your impressions?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #600 of 831
To early to tell at the minute, but iv not heard the magni  1st edition, I have the magni 2, and I used them today after they arrived, they sounded good to me, then again my 325i also sound good.
But ill try and use them both and see what I think later....I know the 225i can be used without amp, but I will use them with the magni 2 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back