Grado SR225 or Yuin PK1? DECISION MADE
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FlavioWolff

500+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.
Posted this here because it involves Full-Sized and Portable phones, so I thought it made more sense to post here than on the portable section.
After lurking around for some months, I've almost made my decision on new 'phones. I will buy the SR225 or the Yuin PK1.
Which would be better? For rock music mainly, but I will also listen to other genres like blues or vocal. PK1 is known for a gradoish sound, but will it surpass the SR225? PK1 has the portability advantage, but if the sound is superior on the SR225, I will give that away.
Also, I'd love some advice on amp. I have the budget to purchase either SR225 or PK1, and a portable amp around $180 maximum, that includes MiniBox-E+ (great for PK1, from what I read), XM4, and probably more stuff.
After giving your advice, please recommend me an amp for the 'phone, if possible.

Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I will run it from a X-Fi or from a 5.5g iPod with LOD.

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 21
Can you give some detail on why you prefer the grado? Thank you.
I don't mind the looks (actually like it).
Getting amp is not a problem, I have the budget and it makes no difference if I spend it or not (it's like i have to spend the budget). Please don't state grado above pk1 only because it runs fine unamped.
Thank you!

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give some detail on why you prefer the grado? Thank you.
I don't mind the looks (actually like it).
Getting amp is not a problem, I have the budget and it makes no difference if I spend it or not (it's like i have to spend the budget). Please don't state grado above pk1 only because it runs fine unamped.
Thank you!

I have the 225's and PK2's, would get the 225's for sure, I also got the iBasso D2 boa, it was $175 and it really improved my listening pleasure. The pk2's I use when I walk and go mobile but when it's time to Rock & Roll I reach for my 225's. Hope this helped.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 21
It sure does, good luck.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 21
The sound of the 225 is much better in basically every way imo then the pk-1.

and amps do matter for grados, especially if you feel like the bass is missing/not good.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 21
thanks guys, you are helping a lot.
since this is a "pulling the thrigger" thread, any opinion is VERY valuable. unfortunately, living where I live, I have to make my choice based only on statements. my sound preference is what I read about grados and the PK1, that is why I narrowed down to these two.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys, you are helping a lot.
since this is a "pulling the thrigger" thread, any opinion is VERY valuable. unfortunately, living where I live, I have to make my choice based only on statements. my sound preference is what I read about grados and the PK1, that is why I narrowed down to these two.

You could even get an used pair of 225's and new PK2's, and wait on the amp for awhile. They do sound better with the boa, but did sound great unamped also. The PK1's do need an amp tho.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 21
There's too much detailed info on the relative merits of various Grado phones here at HeadFi to go into much detail so lets say the PK1 is a "I can't believe they can do that!" phone so while I like it very much and think it's as good as my MS1, I listen to the MS1 alot more. To cut to the chase, I'd recommend the Grado SR60 or Alessandro MS1 ($99 shipped WW) because there are only subtle sonic differences between the plastic SR series phones. Since Grados don't need an amp to sound good, pick up Gary's PA2V2 because it's one of the smallest amps, has a history of working well with Grados and for $60 comes with a wallwort that lets you charge the battery while listening to the amp.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 21
Yuin Pk2 and Pk1 are totally different beasts. One doesn't require an amp and the other is 150 ohms (and sounds like crap imo unamped).

It's a tough choice for me to choose either. While they sound very similar they have very distinct differences. PK1 is much more warmer and the SR225 has better instrument separation. Bass is also deeper on the Yuin (I have flats) but SR225 have accurate, punchy bass. Overall Yuin PK1 sounds more natural and the SR225 has the unique "Grado" sound.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 21
Both are great headphones. The SR225's are a little better, but the PK-1's are very versatile and amazing for their size. I do prefer the PK-1's bass, which I find very tight and impactful.

It's hard to believe, as a few years ago anyone trying to decide between mid level grados and a set of ear buds would have been called nuts...but the PK-1's are pretty good.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 21
I would go for the PK1. I have to disagree with a couple of previous posts and say that the PK1's bass has a better mix of impact and definition (and depth), while the 225 is, overall, more open/airy sounding. To my ears, the PK1 has a much better soundstage. Also, the PK1 has instrument seperation (in terms of aural, not spatial, distinction) that competes with the GS1k, so the 225 does not have much to say in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back