Grado SR225 or Sennheiser HD595
Oct 15, 2007 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

altcon

New Head-Fier
I was looking at 100$ price and then I decided to go a bit higher.
These 2 hit the 200$ mark, and I think that's where I'll stop this round.
I listen to everything (rock, Jazz, trance, classical..), mostly I like rock and instrumentals (Vai, Satriani, Andy Timmons...etc.). These phones will be driven off a PC (no amp), and will stay at home at all times...
Which one to get and why?

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 30
If you listen to everything I think the hD595s are more versatile. Grado's don't really work that well with Jazz and classical.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 30
I've never heard the SR225 but I own the 595 and I find it to be very versatile and sounds pretty good straight out of my laptop headphone out.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 30
I currently own the sr225's and at one time had hd595's. the hd595's are by far a better all around can, but they can't compare to the grados for rock. If you're looking for your first pair of cans I can't recommend the hd595's enough. they were my first pair of cans so I'm a little biased, but still they're great and you can probably find a nice used pair for about $125 on the forums if you're patient

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 30
I already have a pair of SR60s, which I'm very happy with (despite finding out I have to re-rip 90% of my MP3 collection).
So generally speaking the SR225 are less versatile? which means they don't cover the whole range as well as the 595s?

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 30
I disagree - I think the HD595s are better for rock than the SR225s, unless of course you are listening to really bass-guitar heavy rock. I consider Radiohead, Blur, The Cure as rock bands, and those three bands would be massacred by the SR225s. On the other hand, Tool and A Perfect Circle would be much better on the 225s.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree - I think the HD595s are better for rock than the SR225s, unless of course you are listening to really bass-guitar heavy rock. I consider Radiohead, Blur, The Cure as rock bands, and those three bands would be massacred by the SR225s. On the other hand, Tool and A Perfect Circle would be much better on the 225s.

x2, although if you're happy with the grados you have the 225s will be great, just IMO the 595s are that much better, especially unamped.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 30
I'm trying to get some real world examples -
So let's say Primus Sailing the Seas of Cheese would be better on....
And Breaking Benjamins Saturate would be better on...
How about Alain Caron's PLAY?
or Chris Cornells Euphoria morning?
Zero Seven's Simple things?
Debussy's La Mer ?
That covers pretty much the sound range of what I listen to.
What do you think fits the bill?

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 30
if you already have a set of SR60s, I'd say get the HD595s. Try other brands, other flavors. Who knows, you may like the HD595s more than the SR60s.

Gotta say though, I absolutely LOVE my SR225s
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you already have a set of SR60s, I'd say get the HD595s. Try other brands, other flavors. Who knows, you may like the HD595s more than the SR60s.

Gotta say though, I absolutely LOVE my SR225s
biggrin.gif

Ahem...CONFUSE is not an adequate word to describe what you just did to me with that post
blink.gif

I have a friend bringing his HD595s so I can check em out this weekend, maybe I'll be wiser after that.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 30
Go with the sr225,s I love mine and I have never regretted buying them at all.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? I tried a bunch of stuff. I won't lie, I liked things like King Crimson, Radiohead, Tool, Porcupine Tree on Grados better than HD595 in the end - the only issue being that Grado is fatiguing.
HD595 has far greater versatility for everything else, including metal though. Metal just gets butchered by Grados due to lack of low end chug.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 30
Ok, I heard the HD595 and they sounded nice.
I was a bit surprised they didn't make my SR60's sound like they're lame. The sound sounded less "warm", and I really couldn't tell if I could justify spending 200$ on them. They had better "spatial" attributes, in games and movies I could tell from which direction each sound was coming, but in general I didn't find them to really put the Grado's to shame.
On top if that I find the Grado's a bit more comfortable after I've tampered with the metal band a bit, I don't know they're there.
Hmmm... this just made things more complex.
EDIT: I forgot to add, in Jazz and classical the Sennheisers sounded better, more separation per instrument (I tested on Debussy's Le Mer). Same thing goes for Jazz.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 30
H580's may be what you might like. I have sr225 and HD555 which is like the HD595 lower version. I love SR225 with rock and HD580 is simply a good all round headphone, when your tired of switching headphones it's just a good headphone. I listen to lot's of rock and perhaps a grado may make rock a bit more interesting at points but the senns are just smooth and tend to soften the harsh highs sometimes found older rock albums.

I kind of think the 580 is a bit better then the 595 though plenty of people will argue that point hehehe I guess they are just different but in my way of hearing I think they are a better headphone. which is why I got it instead of upgrading my hd555/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back