Grado SR125/i/e Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Are the SR125s the most overlooked Grado?  Lots of folks jump from the SR60 or SR80 right to the SR225.  I went SR60 --> SR225 myself but always wondered about the 125s.  With the new 'e' series out, I figured why not!!!

Received them today and love 'em!

Cheers!!!!!

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 28
I bet the 125e with bowls are better than the 225i with bowls. I had a pair of 225is and thought they were so-so and harsh with the 325is being much better. I did hear the 125 with a good tube amp and they were quite a bit better than my 225 out of some standard equipment.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 28
  congrats! can you tell me the differences in sound sig between the SR225i and the SR125e? thanks!

Thanks!

Sure.  I'll be doing some comparisons this weekend.  I have the SR225 (non-i).

I bet the 125e with bowls are better than the 225i with bowls. I had a pair of 225is and thought they were so-so and harsh with the 325is being much better. I did hear the 125 with a good tube amp and they were quite a bit better than my 225 out of some standard equipment.

Have not put bowls on the 125s yet.  A few hours with the s-cush and now I've had the g-cush on for a while.  Will try some bowls as well as HD414 and a few modded comfies.

I'm really not a fan of bowls to listen for a long period of time.  Unless I wear them with KSC75 pads.
gs1000.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 28
I put bowls on my 125e. I find them more comfortable physically. I also don't think they sound harsh. They are my first Grado, so I don't know how they compare to the other models.

I was thinking since I bought bowls to use on my 125, maybe I should have just gone for the 225 instead. I am curious how the 125e, 225e, and 225i compare, all with bowls. The e series wasn't officially released when I bought mine, I got a transitional model, so if I bought the 225 I could have ended up with either version.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 28
Been pad rollin' for a few days now.  My fav on the SR125e were the HD414 pads, but today I spent a good amount of time with the s-cush (quarter mod) and I believe I have a new fav.  Bass is tight and of course there's a bit more air in the overall sound vs. straight comfies.  Great combination.  And very comfy indeed.

Cheers!

Quote:
  I put bowls on my 125e. I find them more comfortable physically. I also don't think they sound harsh. They are my first Grado, so I don't know how they compare to the other models.

I was thinking since I bought bowls to use on my 125, maybe I should have just gone for the 225 instead. I am curious how the 125e, 225e, and 225i compare, all with bowls. The e series wasn't officially released when I bought mine, I got a transitional model, so if I bought the 225 I could have ended up with either version.

Congratz MM!

That is a never ending cycle with the Grado ladder.  The 'what if' factor.  I went SR60 -> SR225 -> RS2 -> RS1i and still own them all.  But I always wondered about the SR125.  Where did it really fit in?  In terms of tonality and overall presentation.  Was it the aggressive / harsh one etc. etc......

Years went by and when the 'e' series came out, I finally said 'it's time for the SR125'.

I have not been disappointed one bit.

now that the e series is out i wonder if the stigma around the 125 will slowly disappeared

Haha.  Let's hope so!!!!!

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 28
  That is a never ending cycle with the Grado ladder.  The 'what if' factor.  I went SR60 -> SR225 -> RS2 -> RS1i and still own them all.  But I always wondered about the SR125.  Where did it really fit in?  In terms of tonality and overall presentation.  Was it the aggressive / harsh one etc. etc......

Years went by and when the 'e' series came out, I finally said 'it's time for the SR125'.

I have not been disappointed one bit.

When are the comparisons coming!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 28

When are the comparisons coming!!!! 
biggrin.gif

I have the next two days off, so they will be all Grado love
biggrin.gif

Been planning it out the last few days (source, amp etc.).  Want to use the same pads for all five Grados across the board for comparisons.  L-cush has more air but bass suffers a lil' bit, g-cush has better soundstage etc......Trying to get a happy medium all around.

beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 28

I have the next two days off, so they will be all Grado love
biggrin.gif

Been planning it out the last few days (source, amp etc.).  Want to use the same pads for all five Grados across the board for comparisons.  L-cush has more air but bass suffers a lil' bit, g-cush has better soundstage etc......Trying to get a happy medium all around.

beerchug.gif

Cool! Really looking forward to some comparative reviews of the Grados 
beerchug.gif

Personaly, I'd vote for an L-cush based review, just 'cos it's the de-facto standard Grado pad

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 28

Cool! Really looking forward to some comparative reviews of the Grados 
beerchug.gif

Personaly, I'd vote for an L-cush based review, just 'cos it's the de-facto standard Grado pad

Haha.  I was leaning towards the bowls to make it even in scaling and refinement all the way around.  I have been enjoying the HD414 and quarter modded s-cush for a while now though.  Loving the bass with these pads.
L3000.gif

Later on this morning all my Grados will be getting some Mapletree love
beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 28
That red & black Mad Ear is "sexy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back