Grado SR-80
Jun 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
I'm considering entering the Grado house. Given what I've come across, the SR80 is the best bet for me. I think. I'm buying within Canada (I know, I know), and new, because I'd like it to have a warranty. They give off the vibe of being flimsier than most other phones I've used, which is my main reasoning for buying new. It's the closest match to the USD price-point. It seems to sell for $90-$100 in the US, and it's $120 here (at a B&M), compared to some of the other ridiculous price differences. As well, it comes with the bowls, which are apparently more comfortable than the "comfies".

However, besides reading information here, I know little of the Grado Sound Signature. Can anyone tell me the bass response in the lower end models (I will buy the SR60, or the SR125 if I think they are of better value). The place I'm going to is not a major fan of putting on your own music to audition phones with, as they have a giant, public wall of them, all playing the same one song, and they don't like playing "favourites". They usually (last I checked) ran quieter instrumentals, ambient like music. That will hinder my ability to match it up with songs my ears are already very familiar with.

I own/often listen to the HD 595s and Ultrasone DJ1-Pro (almost identical to the Proline 550), so if anything can be compared with either, that'd be great!

tl;dr: Grado SR-80. Convince me why/why not to buy it, and how is the bass response/depth/impact?

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 28
The SR-80s were pretty good for me. They are extremely forward, which is great for rock music. They have a decent amount of bass, and the mids and highs are very good, and clean.

However, they can border or "harsh" territory, sound-wise, and they leak sound like no other. However, since you already have 595s, you know what kind of sound leak open cans can have.

Higher end Grados, like the 125s or 225s, take some of the harshness out, but keep the same up front sound that Grado is known for.

tl;dr: Grados are great for rock, but the sound of the SR-80s can be a bit taxing to listen to, compared to higher-end Grados.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 28
For what it's worth, I used to own the SR 80, and I'm just about receive a pair of SR 60. When I do get them, I can make comparisons, but they will be highly subjective because I am pulling the SR 80 sound from my mind.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 28
Grado's are definitely not flimsy, they are made of plastic but the build is still solid, its just really utilitarian. The Grado sound signature is upfront and bright. Some say its exciting and some say its fatiguing, for me its hit or miss with certain albums. The Grados I have (SR-60s) have tight, punchy bass but its most noticable with well recorded tracks, other times its really lean including the drums. However, when I put on AC/DC, I couldn't imagine a better can suitied for the band, everything sounds really energetic and lively. Just incase you didn't know Alessandro MS-1s, (they are an off branch of the grado company) are $100 and have free world wide shipping.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 28
Of the three that you mentioned - SR60, SR80, and SR125, the SR80 is definitely the one with more bass - but it needs an amp with good current to really shine. It may, in fact, sound more treble-focused than the SR60 without sufficient amplification. Properly powered, however, it has more and lower bass than the SR60. The SR125 can be hard to take without the right amp and can be shrill, IMHO.

BTW, bowls are not more comfortable, but they do sound better.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 28
I got my SR60 today. The product quality is very good. The plastics look very nice and solid feeling. The plug is very sturdy and solid, the cables are thick and flexible. The only concern that I can see is where the wires are clamped in the middle Y cord. The casing of the cables seem to be squished but it doesn't seem like it'll fall or break off. Overall the headphones don't look cheap nor feel cheap. I just did a burn in for about 3hrs with pink noise. The sound is just amazing on the SR60. You can't go wrong with any Grado product. This is my first Grado btw.

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 28
The SR80s are a great choice. My ears didn't like them (comfort) but I loved the sound.

I have heard from numerous Grado Fans that the SR125 should be avoided. You might as well pay a little more extra and get the SR225.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my SR60 today. The product quality is very good. The plastics look very nice and solid feeling. The plug is very sturdy and solid, the cables are thick and flexible. The only concern that I can see is where the wires are clamped in the middle Y cord. The casing of the cables seem to be squished but it doesn't seem like it'll fall or break off. Overall the headphones don't look cheap nor feel cheap. I just did a burn in for about 3hrs with pink noise. The sound is just amazing on the SR60. You can't go wrong with any Grado product. This is my first Grado btw.

Hey!
Can you plase compare the SR60 sound with your EX90LP? Thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey!
Can you plase compare the SR60 sound with your EX90LP? Thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the SR60 has a fuller range of sounds and there is more soundstage due to the size of the drivers. The SR60 is a bit clearer than the EX90. The EX90 is a bit more dull and is more bassy, the highs are there but not as good as the SR60. The EX90 is excellent for portable use because they are very comfortable for me. I actually prefer the EX90 over my B&O A8. Anyhow, if you are wondering if you should give the SR60 a try, don't think anymore, the SR60 is great. All in all, its hard to compare the EX90 to the SR60 since they are different types of headphones. On my sound scale, the EX90 gets a 7 while the SR60 gets a 9.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, bowls are not more comfortable, but they do sound better.
wink.gif

Oh no, don't tell me that now! Maybe I'll just have to buy a pair of them massive GS-1000 pads and put them on, if they fit. Then again, I'm a hat man, so I might be able to offset some of the comfort (lack thereof) by wearing lots of toques/beanies.

Nice to hear the SR-80 gets fair to good reception. Right now, I'm steering clear of the more expensive models (ie 225 and up) until I get a bit more cash flow going, or once I actually determine if the Grado sound is worth it to my ears. The taxing sound may be a problem, but since I have absolutely no idea of the magnitude (subjective as it is), I'll have to wait to see myself. It's also very good to hear that the bass is present and accounted for. I can't help it if I'm a basshead
redface.gif

I was considering these to be a "rock" phone, since I already have a very good all-rounder, as well as an Electronic/Hip-Hop phone. Maybe I'll pressure the salesperson into letting me put on an AC/DC album
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the quick and impressive responses thus far!

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 28
I'm thinking that the SR-80s might be my next headphone. I'd love to try out some headphones that are more colored than my Q40s and are good for rock. They seem like they would go great with an iBasso D2 Boa, which I plan on buying.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 28
Is the extra $20-30 worth going from 60's to 80's.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the extra $20-30 worth going from 60's to 80's.

From what I've heard, it would appear so. The 80s are supposed to have more bass and just sound better in general.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've heard, it would appear so. The 80s are supposed to have more bass and just sound better in general.

Don't forget the different pads, which cost somewhere in the $20 range separately. I'd say the SR-80s appear to be the better choice against the SR-60. However, everyone's ears are different. I'll be sure to post my findings and opinions when I buy a pair. Which should be this Friday
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 28
Does anyone actually have both? There is a huge thread about how people should purchase the sr60s as entry level and I didn't hear a whole lot about the 80 being significantly different sounding other than the bass (I'm not really a bass head)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back