Grado SR-80
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 28
Generally buy used I say, even grados. If they break in a year, it will be something you can fix (Mine basically fell apart). Sadly A4 doesn't sell anything under the SR125, but SR80 is $150 last I heard from Bay Bloor? Anyone? For that price you might as well chuck in 50 and buy the 225s from A4.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 28
For those outside the US and looking at the SR60-125, take a look at the MS1.

$99 worldwide shipping.

BTW, the SR80 is better than the SR60 IMHO. The MS1 is a better all rounder than both IMHO as well.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally buy used I say, even grados. If they break in a year, it will be something you can fix (Mine basically fell apart). Sadly A4 doesn't sell anything under the SR125, but SR80 is $150 last I heard from Bay Bloor? Anyone? For that price you might as well chuck in 50 and buy the 225s from A4.

$120 at BBR.

Is A4 an authorized retailer, or will I be without a warranty if I purchase from them? Not to mention shipping costs won't easily offset the price difference, nor will the (slight) exchange rate and Duty/Customs Fees.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 28
I just found out the answer to my own question heh. Seems like both the 80 and MS1 need amps which would answer why the 60s are so well received and highly attractive to those who do not have an amp.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 28
well lets see, i used the sr-80 for about 3 years, no amp.

comfort wise the headband bends easily to fit your head perfectly, the ear pads aren't the most comfortable ever made but are fine for a few hours of listening. mine didn't fall apart, they're well built, just made of very lightweight plastics.

sound wise, it reproduces stringed instruments very well. it gives a sense of being on stage right with the guitars in a rock band. they're definately a great choice for rock music, probably the best for the price. i found the bass suitable for most types of music except electronic or hip-hop, it's just not made for that.

also they're powered very easily, 32 ohms (same as sr60), although it might sound a little better, i don't think an amp is required.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out the answer to my own question heh. Seems like both the 80 and MS1 need amps which would answer why the 60s are so well received and highly attractive to those who do not have an amp.

Amps make them sound better but def not required.

if the 32 ohm MS1s "need" need an amp, then the 600 ohm Beyers may require a V-8.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 28
I love my SR80's. Unfortunately, they need to go. But, I look forward to moving up the Grado line in the future. Indeed, they are very fun. Rock sounds great. The only real cons are: cramped soundstage, relatively uncomfortable (I didn't think they were THAT bad), and highs are sometimes very piercing. Overall, fantastic quality for the price.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #25 of 28
I own the SR-80s and SR-125s and have owned the SR-60s and MS-1s, but sold them both. Of the four, the SR-80s are my favorite. The SR-125s and MS-1s were too bright for me and lacked bass. The SR-60s were very good, but I didn't like the sound of the comfies they came with. With bowl pads, though, they're almost identical to the SR-80s. The SR-80s have a just a little extra kick to them. All do fine without an amp.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 28
I'll probably stick with the sr60 because I don't have an amp and I'm not exactly rolling in cash atm. Don't feel any need to pay extra money for some extra bass.

*Sorry just realized i semi-hijacked this thread*

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A4 is a Canadian retailer... I'd suggest the MS1s too actually.

Ah, The part where I read "All prices in USD" threw me off. My mistake.

In any case, I'd rather not shell out too much just yet. I'll see how the SR-80 sounds, and if I like the Grado sound, specifically within this model, I'll pick it up and be content until upgrade-itis kicks in. I'd consider the MS-1, but it would be a blind choice, and I'd hate to regret it. Besides reading that it has more neutrality, but retains a similar "Grado" sound, I wouldn't be sure exactly what I'd be walking in to. Either way it goes, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. If the Grados make my ears bleed, then maybe I'll have to consider finding a way to audition a pair of MS-1s. Or just opting to choose a different sound sig.

Don't worry about slightly hijacking the thread. My questions, concerns and comments were answered, or at the very least discussed, as were yours (hopefully). So everyone came out ahead.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #28 of 28
Had my SR-80 s for ten years now. Wouldn't swap them - great sound with any music. Use them through a QED headphone amplifier that a mate gave me. Only thing I'm changing is the foam pads. Might upgrade my amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back