Grado SR-80 vs. Alessandro MS1
Mar 31, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

revolink24

Headphoneus Supremus
So, In my headphone search I've come down to two cans, the Grado SR80 and Alessandro MS1. For those with experience with these, I would like your opinions. From what I hear, the Alessandro is more comfortable (a fairly big thing for me) but less "thumpy" and vibrant, whereas the Grados are very engaging and "thumpy." I am not a recording artist, so neutrality is not essential but it is not something I would mind either. Are the MS1's as suitable for rock, metal, jazz, and action movies as the Grado's? As these are my primary listening uses, It would be nice to have the best for that. I also wear headphones all day, which is why comfort is a concern, and I hear that Grado's can become painful. I will not have a chance to try these before I buy them: I would have to sell them If I dislike them. I am not a true "basshead" but I also do not want a lack thereof. Any opinions?

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 15
well i currently have a pair of sr80's and i can say you'll have to get used to them as for comfortability issues. For me, it took awhile to get used to the feel of wearing them and now it's bearable.. just not for long listening periods (over an hour)

Though I would think that the MS-1's have the same build as the sr80's and have the same bowls as the sr80's if i'm not mistaken.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm gonna guess that you are right about the bowls.... some reported that they came with the comfies, not bowls.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 15
There is a thread going right now about Grado comfort. It seems that a lot more people find them comfortable cans. I wear my MS1's all day at work with no problems whatsoever. I am using the comfy pads. I will admit that the bowl pads can get a little uncomfortable after 3 or 4 hours.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna guess that you are right about the bowls.... some reported that they came with the comfies, not bowls.

They come with comfy pads, not bowls.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 15
So that just leaves the question, are the MS1s really better sounding for rock/metal/classical?

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Already seen that xD more interested in a direct opinion on which would be better for me, thanks though.

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 15
MS-1s are great for all genres, especially the ones you listed (rock, metal, jazz, and action movies). I haven't heard the SR-80.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 15
It came down to the ms-1 vs. sr80 for me also. I chose the MS-1 because people said it sounds more balanced, has more detail, and is more layed back, which is the sound I prefer. If you prefer a colored sound, get the sr80. Id say its like comparing 200 watt studio monitors (ms-1) to a 1000 watt DJ PA system(sr80). One is for critical listening, the other is for rocking out.

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm still trying to decide between

SR60
SR80
MS-1

I have never heard a Grado, right now I have the Senn PX100. For about a month now I've been trying to decide which of the above three to get

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 15
There's plenty of info on the internets about these phones. I find bowls comfy enough for an hour tops but comfy pads and HD-414 pads I can wear for several hours - they are comfortable enough, especially if you aren't afraid to bend the headband to fit your noggin. The MS-1s do not have bowls but the sr80s do. Neither of these phones are 'basshead' certified but they definitely have a good bass presence. The differences between the SR80 and MS1 are exaggerated on head-fi to emphasize how they compare. Yes, they sound different from each other but they are much closer than say the SR80 vs an AKG K241. In the end I seem to always recommend the MS1 to everyone unless they definitely want the full grado experience (in which case I recommend the 225s
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back