Grado SR-60i good PX100 replacement for street/gym use with ipod?
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dearbart

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been using a Senn PX100 for street/gym with my ipod. I'm happy with the sound but I've already destroyed two of them. I need something a bit sturdier.

the Koss PortaPro looks a bit cumbersome but not necessarily more sturdy. buds, IEMs and neckphones are not workable options for me.

The sr60 is more promising (and a step up aurally too). But is it going to be too big to wear out of the house? Or too heavy/uncomfy to wear while walking (I don't run, bad back). How long is the cord?

(any knows of a store in Torrance/South Bay, CA area that carries Grado I can check out in person?)

thanks

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 14
I used a pair of the original SR60s as my portables for about a year. The sound was wonderful, but there were some drawbacks. They are large and bulky compared to the Senns you've been using. They also provide very little isolation; this means that you may be tempted to turn them up to unsafe levels when listening in noisy environments. Conversely, you may annoy those around you when you listen in quiet environments.

My SR60s lasted about a year as my primary portables; I really beat the crap out of my portable equipment, so more reasonable treatment would probably result in longer life.

That was my experience. The SR60i's are great phones, but I'm not sure they are best used as portables.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 14
hmm, you'd think looking at them that the SR60 would have better isolation and less leakage than the PX100 (or at least no worse), but reading the comments and reviews apparently that isn't the case?

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dearbart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, you'd think looking at them that the SR60 would have better isolation and less leakage than the PX100 (or at least no worse), but reading the comments and reviews apparently that isn't the case?

No, they leak pretty well (or badly, depending on how you look at it
tongue_smile.gif
). Maybe try ATH ES7, those might be perfect for what you need.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 14
My experience is from an SR225, but the basic construction is nearly the same. I wouldn't use them as a gym headphone for sure. While the sound is great, I don't think they would hold up to that kind of use. Those pads will act like a sponge for sweat, too! Also, there is NO isolation at all. If you're wearing them and there is no music playing, you can continue a conversation at normal speaking volume.

Grados are wonderful, but I don't think they're suited for this application.

My $.02
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 14
what the px100 lacked in isolation, the sr60 will more so. a lot, which makes it less useful in my opinion. i have seen people with sr60s in the train and around, but i can't imagine wearing my grados anywhere but around the house.

i don't know what otheroptions to suggest, but you may want to look into jvc if you want sturdy folding headphones. they just released a new line...

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 14
This is almost completely off topic, but I had my HD485's taken apart yesterday, and the drivers say "PX100" on the back of them.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Audio-technica ATH-ES7 is good replacement.
Sennheiser HD25-1 II has a similar sound, but the portable amplifier is necessary for them

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is almost completely off topic, but I had my HD485's taken apart yesterday, and the drivers say "PX100" on the back of them.

It's all a conspiracy

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stridervvv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-technica ATH-ES7 is good replacement.
Sennheiser HD25-1 II has a similar sound, but the portable amplifier is necessary for them

No?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back