Grado SR-60 vs Alessandro MS-1
Jul 5, 2005 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

gabbabe

New Head-Fier
The comparison of the two seems to be done to death, but I still cannot decide which one to get.

From what I understand, the SR-60 is richer is sound whilst the MS-1 is clearer? And that the MS-1 is based on the SR-125 (which I suppose is more expensive than the SR-60).

I also will be running without amp. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 29
That's up to you, but they are different headphones at different price points. To compare apples to apples you'd have to compare the MS-1 to the SR125. Personally, I'd stick with the 60s or start comparing the MS-2 with the SR225.

Sweet spots in the Grado line-up, IMHO:

SR60
SR225
RS-1

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
That's up to you, but they are different headphones at different price points. To compare apples to apples you'd have to compare the MS-1 to the SR125. Personally, I'd stick with the 60s or start comparing the MS-2 with the SR225.

I don't think the SR125 and the MS1 is "apples to apples" per se. SR125 is $150, MS1 is $100...maybe the MS1 and SR80 are more along the lines of "apples to apples." Also, the MS2i and SR225 are definitely not apples to apples -- but the MS2i and the SR325i are.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 29
I have the SR80 and heard the MS1 (before burn in).. the MS1 sound so much clearer then SR80..

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 29
sr125?

i thought the ms-1 was based on the sr80. im confused. is there a definitive answer on this?

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 29
Well, looked at exactly the same issue as yourself here.

I finally went with the MS1 over the SR60 just because of the deal and based on their reviews (for us here in Canada, SR60 costs the same price as MS1s as we can buy MS1s directly from the States while SR60, we will have to purchase from Canada - distributor rights). You should never buy headphones the way I did, without first auditioning them. However, I lucked out and ended up with something I quite like. The MS1s are more neutral, less sibilance and a little more distant. I upgraded the comfies to bowl pads and they sound great!

My sister on the other hand, went with SR60. The sound from the SR60 is richer more bassy and definitely more coloured. Contrary to what a lot of people think, coloured to me isn't all bad. To my ears, the SR60 is more pleasing to listen to...however, personal preference. MS1s are more analytical. One thing though, for SR60, don't bother upgrading the comfy pads that comes with it. Bowls on them make them sound too shrill with lots of sibilance..

It is really a personal preference. If you are in the US, I would definitely give SR60 a really high marks at US$69, save up some money and then look at upgrading to say the SR325 or the MS2 in future.

However, if you are in Canada, go with the MS1s if you want to get more bang for the buck..

Hope this helps..

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
sr125?

i thought the ms-1 was based on the sr80. im confused. is there a definitive answer on this?

Unfortunately, I haven't found one. However, based on the specs, I would think it is more economical for Alessandro to make MS1s out of SR125s as SR125s have more critical parts in common with the MS1s as opposed to the SR80 (e.g. the UHPLC voice coils).

Actually, for you Grado folks, what's the MAIN difference between SR80 and SR125 anyway? Is there a TRUE difference in sound? The only thing that is truly different on their specs is the UHPLC voice coils.

Jul 6, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Actually, for you Grado folks, what's the MAIN difference between SR80 and SR125 anyway? Is there a TRUE difference in sound? The only thing that is truly different on their specs is the UHPLC voice coils.

Yes, that's always what I wondered too. I certainly couldn't hear the difference with a quick listen.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 29
Thanks sionghchan and others. Actually, I'm in Australia, ms-1s and sr-60 are similarly priced. Unfortunately I can't test them before buying.

I heard that the ms-1s are uncomfortable to listen to for long periods of time. Do u feel the same sionghchan?

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 29
they both come with comfy pads, which i think are the most comfortable out of all pads available from grado. the only discomfort that they might have is with the headband but you can always bend it to fit your head.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabbabe
Thanks sionghchan and others. Actually, I'm in Australia, ms-1s and sr-60 are similarly priced. Unfortunately I can't test them before buying.

I heard that the ms-1s are uncomfortable to listen to for long periods of time. Do u feel the same sionghchan?

Initially, prior to upgrading, both the MS1s and SR60s come with comfy pads (pads like normal headphone pads with no hole in the middle). They are physically very comfortable. However, if you want a little more soundstaging and clearer sounds, try getting the Bowl Pads for the MS1s as the original comfy pads sounds a little muffled. However, do realise that unless you are a truly critical listener, you will not able to discern a real difference, just a feeling that things are clearer.

With Bowl Pads however, both MS1s and SR60s do get quite uncomfortable. The physical comfort level is mainly caused by the type of pads you put on the cans....and not the cans themselves.

Now, for SR60, a lot of people found that if you were to change the original comfy pads to bowl pads, their sibilance is killing! Very fatiguing...hence you can't listen for a long time. So, for SR60, no point changing their comfy pads.

Both are very good cans...it just depends on your taste. Do you like a very engulfing, upfront, fun sound? If you do, get the SR60. If you like a more neutral sound with less sibilance, get the MS1.

However, if SR60 costs the same as MS1 (as in here in Canada), I would suggest that you get the MS1 for the bang for the buck factor.

One big caveat...DO TRY TO audition those cans first if you can. At least try the SR60 as you can find them easily in Australia..

Hope this helps!
SH

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan

With Bowl Pads however, both MS1s and SR60s do get quite uncomfortable. The physical comfort level is mainly caused by the type of pads you put on the cans....and not the cans themselves.

There's lots of threads already debating the comfort of the various pads. I am one of the people that find the bowl pads quite comfortable, just as comfortable as the comfie pads, so it really depends on who you ask.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 29
Thanks again.
I think I'll opt for the MS-1 as I can't test sr-60 here, (despite the SR-60 appreciation thread potentially giving me the regrets), and do further research on the bowl pads (and then consider the cutting-hole method).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back