Grado SR-60 on Airplanes?
Jul 11, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 38
There really is no argument here. Airplanes are really loud and Grados don't isolate at all. Why on earth would you use them on a plane?! I have Grados and I wouldn't think of using them on a plane, subway, or bus. They are totally useless on a plane. Useless....totally.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
it's an early 80s Guild X-500. It's my main jazz guitar. Not very good acoustically, but it's got a heavy top so it is very feedback resistant (my band peaked at 110dB at our last gig, according to my SPL meter.
wink.gif
)

nice, it is sick as all get out..take care of that...saw your profile/noticed you played, so figured I would ask!!
WOW!
sorry to go OT...but that guitar is real nasty (nasty is good)

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
There really is no argument here. Airplanes are really loud and Grados don't isolate at all. Why on earth would you use them on a plane?! I have Grados and I wouldn't think of using them on a plane, subway, or bus. They are totally useless on a plane. Useless....totally.

I am not here to argue with you or anyone else
smily_headphones1.gif

just can tell you from experience, that I like listening to my Grados on business trips, and refrained (hundreds of times in the past) from taking them because of their open nature -and instead would bring some UM's or Sony V6's, but then was bummed by the sound the whole time

Well I started taking the Grados on my trips to listen at the hotel, and at night so forth, but then noticed too, that they work well on airplanes -and at the same volume or lower than I normally listen to as well!!
Just trying to help, to each his/her own..
blink.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 38
I just realized that I forgot to take into consideration the type of music one listens to while travelling. I listen to classical which absolutely requires isolation on airplanes. However, with music that is consistently and loud and constant, I guess I could see how the grados might work. Sorry for the quick judgement. To each his own, indeed.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I just realized that I forgot to take into consideration the type of music one listens to while travelling. I listen to classical which absolutely requires isolation on airplanes. However, with music that is consistently and loud and constant, I guess I could see how the grados might work. Sorry for the quick judgement. To each his own, indeed.

MatsudaMan is correct - depends on what you are listening to. I listen to rock mostly and have used SR60s on airplanes - definitely doesn't work for a critical listening session and you also need to resist the temptation to turn the music up to drown out the airplane. The advantage is being able to hear the airplane attendants or your neighbor. And if you keep your volume at a healthy level, your neighbor shouldn't be able to hear it over the plane noise. IEM's are designed for situations like airplanes, though, so there is no competition there.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #21 of 38
I am in a band with a couple of my friends and sadly have already developed some Tinnitus. Now I have to be much more careful with my listening volumes or it will flare up for about a minute and then go away.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #22 of 38
I wouldn't recommend it, as the SR60s have poor isolation. You would have to crank up the volume to hear your music. Not good.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #23 of 38
Audiofiler, I find it interesting--and surprising--that you've had such success with the Grados on planes. I never would have considered it. Have you never received any looks or complaints about noise leakage from other passengers? Just curious.

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 38
So my flight to SD was last night, and just got into Phoenix about an hour ago..

But yesterday, before going to the airport, I set the volume on my Discman to a predetermined setting and verified the level on my SPL meter..(64db on the SPL meter)

and that is where I listened in pure bliss, on the flight..AHHHH!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait it gets better.. I actually asked the airline attendant where the worst seat for sound was due to noise, she pointed to just in front of the wing by the engine, I said cool and gave her a thumbs up and sat there (she looked at me like I was stupid
plainface.gif
, or did not understand her response, was funny actually)

At 64db...no more..Than I even turned it down 4 notches from 64db, and noticed too that I could STILL appreciate the Grado house flavor, up high in the sky... when I went home and measured where this setting was on the Discman, it was 49db, which is where I listened at on the plane the whole time except the first song on both he MS-1 and SR-60...(had to turn it down even, as the sound at 64db was plently loud)

not trying to stir up a hornets nest, just saying I either have hawk ears or these cans perform better than most give them credit for on an airplane...
and oh yeah, I did not miss peanut or Heinekin time either
wink.gif

I always allow for the sounds of the airplane when I travel too, that is why after the first 45 minutes of monitoring, or after the first CD is over, I listen waaaay lower after that, to give my ears a break, like volume level 6 on your tv...it is nice and helps train the ears in tuning out transients, and focusing on the music...pretty neat stuff.

My airborne impressions on both portable Grado headphones are as follows:

Transport - D-NF420
Material used - Bob Marley - Exodus, Flaming Lips - Satellites..
Headphones - Grado SR-60 and Aless MS-1

From a glance:
SR-60 I was jamming out on these cans, and was like I was listening to a different phone altogether. That amazing fun sound that the 60 is known for is better on the airplane than most anything I have tried in a traditional headphone (closed/open incl)...since it has the forward yet full flavor sound signature and sweet midrange...you do not miss the lack of highs at all or lack there of, and actuallys sounds like you are listening to the RS-2's amped when on the plane, as the instances in the lower register that are compensated by the Grado Hump in the MR really helps make the music sound more interesting and fuller...and the flaws in the headstage (which is obviously crowded, it is the SR-60) are masked by the transients and background info...leaving more of the music in the presentation, instead of the effects or interaction between your source, gear, or interconnects..

MS-1 These performed well and although a better headphone, they did not perform as good as the SR-60s did. Well with its clearer, more technical presentation of the entir FR, the MS-1 sounds not as awesome on the plane VS the SR-60, and with the lack of weight in MR, which the SR-60 has in spades, the mid range and lower reg were not as noticable to hear on the plane, leaving the more neutral sounding MR and near upper register sounding flat, uninteresting, and no flavor to it...the texture is thrown off too much when on the plane

Conclusion:[/B] Grados can be used on planes with quite satisfying results, watch that volume, but do not hesitate to bring your Grado House Sound in the air...and without the earwax or uncomfortable plugs in your ears
basshead.gif

This is hopefully my last post on this thread, but thought I may add some "controlled" impressions using these headphones and gear on the plane.

I find that the SR-60s and MS-1s both worked superbly, and well enough to use often- period

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
We agree on that. I do have an SPL meter and I use it frequently.

Yes, it's an early 80s Guild X-500. It's my main jazz guitar. Not very good acoustically, but it's got a heavy top so it is very feedback resistant (my band peaked at 110dB at our last gig, according to my SPL meter.
wink.gif
)

Man I love the look of Guilds. I still kick myself for selling my Guild Starfire V to fund the Taylor 810...which I just ended up trading for a Guild JF30Blk anyhow
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Man I love the look of Guilds. I still kick myself for selling my Guild Starfire V to fund the Taylor 810...which I just ended up trading for a Guild JF30Blk anyhow
frown.gif

Here I go posting again, when I said I would not..

me too Jahn, they friggin' rock..my buddy just passed up a sweet deal on a Guild and ended up opting for a Taylor 710c, different beast altogether, but still sweet sounding..I was salty he did not go with a Guilds, and OH'p wouldn't you know, he is looking for a Guild to trade for now too, small world..Great guitars
sorry OT to the OP...do not mean to thread-jack here
blink.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 38
Audiofiler-
I think most would agree that for the average Joe, airplane noise would necessitate turning the volume up a bit to hear the music, and with Grados being so open, that would end up bothering other passengers. On top of that, cranking Grados, which have such a clear, upfront sound, would definitely put one at risk for tinnitus or hearing damage if this was done long term.

I think it's great that you and your girlfriend can keep the volume low and still enjoy and hear the music at a comfortable level for you-- particularly on a plane. You two must have bat ears, or a great degree of concentration to be able to focus in on the music amidst a din of background noise & other distracting sounds (again, particularly on a plane). It's like you've accepted the background noise and embraced it rather than try to cover it upwith excess volume or block it out w/ a closed headphone design.

Perhaps with Grados, since they are so upfront sounding, the frequencies that are their strong points aren't being masked by the airplane hum, thus allowing you to still enjoy their sound without having to crank things up.

Kudos to you either way!

J.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #29 of 38
I wore my SR60s out in public all the time at one point. I can be caught using these when I was studying in college in my favorite cafe.

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 38
I can't even walk down the street and enjoy my grados that much, just the little bit of wind or car noises drown out the music, I couldn't imagine trying them on an airplane. I can't even fully enjoy them them in bed because my air conditioner is too loud.

I'm going to guess you managed to sit in the quietest part of the plane. Otherwise I don't know what to say, except maybe not to encourage anyone else wearing open headphones in a plane, for everyone's sake(listeners and pasengers).
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back