Grado sr-60 for portability?
Jul 22, 2005 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

smittysan89

500+ Head-Fier
I was set on getting the MD33, but now I am not so positive. How much could I find a pair of sr-60 used/new for? The md-33 are 40$ new.

I know that the grado will leak a bit, but I will really be using them for school and on the bus or walking. Do you think they will be ok when exercising or jogging?

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 15
In my experience, Grados leak a lot and don't isolate at all. The amount of noise I hear from the environment is equal to that of what I hear without the headphones on (okay, maybe a very minute level of isolation). They're fairly open cans, and hearing damage could be an issue if you have to turn up the sound to combat noise. But it really differs among people whether they can deal with the openness of Grados portably. In my experience, when I used my Grados portably, the sound quality was diminished because of the ambient noise. Some people manage to do so though.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm about to replace my DT231s for mobile use, which at least have some isolation to speak of, along with some brightness if not quite the level encountered in the SR-60 - sound is just too bright (albeit with a notoriously bright source, but with a lowpass switched on), and I used to be listening at far too high levels to combat noise. Suffice to say, my hearing didn't really appreciate that in the long run, and since I still need it for the rest of my life I reduced listening levels considerably, even at home a good bit. I think I'll be getting K26Ps for mobile use now.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
I was set on getting the MD33, but now I am not so positive. How much could I find a pair of sr-60 used/new for? The md-33 are 40$ new.

I know that the grado will leak a bit, but I will really be using them for school and on the bus or walking. Do you think they will be ok when exercising or jogging?

I have SR80 and I find it perfect for listening to the music during long walks in a park. However:

1) Grados do not provide any isolation so they are pretty much useless when commuting (unles you crank up the volume - but then you would just assault your ears with more noise...)

2) Grados are definitelly not for jogging or exercising - they simply do not stay on your head when you move at faster pace than walk

Recently I've been looking for nice cans for jogging. I've been eyeing Sennheiser PX100 but I'm still undecided...

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 15
I wouldn't use the SR-60's for any outdoor work. Sweat and the comfies don't really mix; and the SR-60's are so open that you wouldn't be able to hear anything while you were mowing the lawn.

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 15
It's not all bad to use an open earphone.
IMO sometimes an open one is better. When using my er4p I feel like being isolated from the world, and couldn't say hi to people meet in street. (You know it's way important to say hi~)

I hope guys understand my poor English. Open cans can't deliver full details of music but keep you stay in the real world - with some music as extra pudding.

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 15
But yes, Grados/Alessandros both leak. And comfies/bowls and sweat/dirt/ice really don't mix well at all....

I'd keep the HD280s you got for shovelling in winter. Makes a nice ear muff!
icon10.gif

But for sports I've always preferred ear buds. My ears don't boil, no buildup on the IEM flanges/foamies, no frequent filter changing...(TMI!) A little bit of privacy but I still know when an SUV is going to run me over!

The PX100s would be good for commuting. I'd still use the crappy OEM earbuds for landscaping as it would be in tough conditions. If you will be using equipment like aerators, trenchers, and compactors, it's best to not complete tune it out so you can make sure that they are functioning properly.
Get a Sumaijin smartwrap to keep the cord out of your way and you are set!

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 15
I see! I deal with contractor-grade equipment, so when you say landscaping, I think contractor-use!

The SR60s will be a fun portable can to have. You ipod will like you lots! And whatever amp you get, the SR60s can only sound better!

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 15
It may be too late, but I strongly recommend against using grados as portable, especially for stuff like mowing the lawn (loud). You'll end up cranking the volume to drown out the outside noise, and could do serious damage to your hearing. I have some tinnitus because of said use. I use rock the grados on the go, and now my ears are sad.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 15
hmm maybe i will use my stock ipod buds to mow the lawn then, but im still wondering if I should just get a pair of MD33 instead...

still leaning towards the sr60 though....o welll i need a pair that i can take places as i will only be using the DT880 at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back