Grado SR-325s and Creek OBH-11SE
Apr 11, 2002 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dariusf

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got the Grado SR-325s and Creek OBH-11SE amp to replace my Grado SR-225s. After a few days burn in all I can say is WOW! I can definitely tell the difference. Still haven't had the time to take if for more extended spin and when I do I will try to write up a review. I really like the way the 325s look. Definitely great improvement over the 225s. They look allot more solid, better made. The leather headband is definitely a plus. I just hate how the 225s plastic one looks, very chip. The aluminum chamber is allot deeper. I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra $ and got it right away. As for the Creek amp, well first impression was 'this is so small!' It looks very nice, solid made. The power supply is huge, twice as big as the amp and quite heavy all in a good way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 7
That's a nice set-up, I also like the 325 slightly more vs 225 although the 225 may be just slightly more detailed treble, but the 325 has more/deeper bass and greater perceived 3D soundstage.

The Creek OBH 11se offers great bang for the buck, used to own one.

Where do you live in Chicago? I lived at Wrightwood & Clark in Lincoln Park from 1980-92, except for winter great place and lots to do for single professionals.

Apr 11, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm farley new to the headphone world and I'm still learning on what and how to listen to. Form the limited time I had listening to it the bass is definitely deeper and better soundstage. I still want to test it with and without the Creek to see which one adds what in the setup. I was trying to decide whether I should go with the Creek or Grado RA1 but got a good deal on the Creek SE.

I used to live on the southwest side of the city (Harlem and Archer). Now I live in Willow Springs, its southwest suburbs by Hinsdale or Burridge. Definitely a great place to live and work especially if you live in the burbs and work downtown like I do
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Don't know much about suburbs of Chicago, since the 12 yrs I lived there I never owned a car and took cabs or public transportation everywhere since I worked downtown a couple miles away from home.

I think you'll find the Creek OBH-11se sounds better than the headphone jack on a NAD integrated or JVC CDP. Keep us posted.

Apr 11, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually the two NAD's I have are CD players and they don't have headphone jacks. I'm still trying to learn what to listen to and how to tell the deference where its not so obvious.

One thing I found is that the current setup is quite reviling and allot of the CDs are just bad recorded / mastered. For example one of my favorite groups is Savatage. Most if not all of their albums have a really noticeable hissing sound in the background while albums like Pink Floyd's are just unbelievable!

I'm sure my Senn 580s are going to be very happy with the added amplification
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 7
congrats on your new purchase...of all the cans I have listened to(not many so far) these are my favourite...
these cans are awesome...great details and the punchy bass
also I feel they have a amazing sense of timing and handle transients very well...
now Im trying to build a Corda amp for them...wonder how good they will sound with an amp
rolleyes.gif

cheers
RawHit

Apr 12, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, I was looking in to the Corda amp as well but I don't have much electronics building experience and while I'm sure it would be fun to build it I don't have the time right now. Hack, I don't even have the time to enjoy the new setup. What I need is a nice leather reclining chair for my computer room where I could disappear for an hour of listening pleasure from time to time. Could use the time out
cool.gif
The only bad thing I found about the Grado cans is the inability to use them at work do the sound leakage. We always keep the doors open in our offices and I don't want to be rood by closing my or disturbing others with the sound. Thats where my Senn 580s come in but my notebooks headphone jack is not of the best quality or power. I guess another less expansive amp is on the horizon. Will this fun ever end? I guess the hardest part is getting this past my wife, I can just see the look on her face
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back