Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again)
Aug 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thomaschacon75

New Head-Fier
I've sent them to Grado twice to have the cables replaced, paying $45 + shipping each time.

When I get them back, they're in pristine condition, but the cables fail shortly thereafter (less than a year). I use them daily, but it's not like I'm a sound engineer, using them 10 hours a day.

Faced with a third cable repair, I'm looking for another solution to Grado's repair service, someone who might be able to put a better set of cables than factory Grado.

Any pointers? Someone trustworthy? I'm in Denver, so if you know someone local, that would be sweet. If not, I can ship them out for repair.

Thanks,
Thomas

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 15
You can always recable them yourself or ship them to someone that will. Grado is pretty decent about that stuff. I know they will at least warranty re-cabling by approved third parties. What part of the cable is failing exactly?

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 15
All three times it's been the piece where the two (left and right cable) become the one cable that I plug into my amp. The "Y connector" I guess is what it's called.

That's the problem again, but I think it's worse this time. I think the soldering of the cable to the the L phone has come detached as well. I tried to open the L phone to inspect it, but can't figure out how to get into it without breaking it. That said, I should probably just send it to Grado again.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
All three times it's been the piece where the two (left and right cable) become the one cable that I plug into my amp. The "Y connector" I guess is what it's called.

That's the problem again, but I think it's worse this time. I think the soldering of the cable to the the L phone has come detached as well. I tried to open the L phone to inspect it, but can't figure out how to get into it without breaking it. That said, I should probably just send it to Grado again.

I'm guessing you aren't doing something dumb, such as allowing the cables to twist together very tightly and stuff like that. I have a pair of used SR125s that did that for weeks because of the previous owner.. it took a while to get that memory out of the cable. 

If you're using the headphones normally and this is your third replacement, I'd personally ask Grado to replace the entire set with a new one, because that's just ridiculous. There's no reason for something like that to happen. 

Also, I'm pretty sure the Y piece simply merges the wires within insulation. I don't believe there is actually any sort of modified connection in there. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm not doing anything strange with them, but the cable they use always winds itself into a knot. There's little I can do to stop it. And apparently its a known design flaw with the earlier models. Mine's from 2006, #5683.

I asked them last time to use a different set of cables, but they didn't comply.

Maybe I should push it and ask for a new pair, but I don't fancy the thought of re-burn-in.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I'm not doing anything strange with them, but the cable they use always winds itself into a knot. There's little I can do to stop it.

I asked them last time to use a different set of cables, but they didn't comply.

Maybe I should push it and ask for a new pair, but I don't fancy the thought of re-burn-in.

Turn one of the cups repeatedly to unwind the knot. You can also detatch them completely from the headband by simply (and gently) pulling the driver cup swivels out of the holes in the driver cup housing. Though it might be different for the 325s. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 15
I do, but it just winds itself up again.

Maybe someone here will no a repair source other than Grado that can put a different set of cables on them, cables that don't wind up. I know if I send it to Grado they'll just put the same crappy cables on it and, next year, I'll have to send it in again.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 15
These may help you :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK188&P=FR

These are well known in the DIY community to stop your gimbals from sliding up and down when you don't want them to. If you put one above and one below the rodblock, squeeze them against the rodblock and tighten... it will also prevent the gimbals from rotating around freely.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

I have installed a pair of chris_himself cables on mine and they seem wonderful if you were up for a new cable. I would be happy to help you out too if you bought a new cable, but I am in Canada.

Darren

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 15
You could always opt for a detachable cable mod. The headphone cups spinning wouldn't twist the wires anymore since the wiring would be independent of the headphone. And if anything ever happened to the cable... it could be easily replaced without needing to be sent in for repair.

I know Moon-Audio does the mod, but it's pricier than having your headphones sent into Grado for repair... but it might be better for long term durability.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 15
You could honestly even ask around here to see if someone here will do it for you cheaply. I know many Head-Fi'ers, myself included, build all of our own cables. If I had more time right now, I'd do it for you for only the cost of materials, but if you're looking for a budget recable, BTG Audio is well regarded. I think his stuff is pricier than it used to be, but it'll be around as much as Grado doing it, and while it won't be as thick and "sturdy" as the Grado cable, it'll be more than strong enough, and more importantly, flexible. The Grado stock cable is one of the worst I've ever used for the very reasons you mentioned.

EDIT: Sorry for bumping a totally dead thread... not even sure how this came up in my search.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Bumping a thread from 2011!

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Grado Factory cable replacement, I sent mine back to get the new 8 conductor cable installed, I'm pretty sure they never cracked open the cases, just cut off the old cable about 4 inches from the cups and soldered the new cable on there. My cables have a very stiff section now at that place, and the plastic sleeve over the cable is not fixed at the earcup but is a bit loose, you can push it up inside the ear cup at least a good inch or so. I distinctly remember noticing the looseness when I 1st got them back, but didn't over think it at the time. The soldered section is about 3 inches long, and stiff as a nail. My cans have never sounded better, and I'm only guessing that's how they do most re-cables, unless the wire was in such bad condition they needed to open them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back