1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Grado SR-225 vs SR-325i

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by danielhill, Jan 26, 2006.
Next

Last
  1. DanielHill
    I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of grados for rock. I have heard great reviews about both sets of cans. I just want to get an opinion about which is prefered by most people.

2. AndyKatz
    Hi Daniel,

I'm a huge Grado fan. I've had an SR 60, have a 225, an HF1 and an RS1. I also had a 325. Briefly. It was the only Grado I didn't like. Perhaps it was a poor headphone+source matchup. I didn't keep it because I never intended to.

Anyway, my point is that you really have to try them. The 325 is very popular among Grado aficianados. TAS, I believe, ranked it above the RS1 and other Grados in their equipment roundup. Those who don't like the 325, however, really don't like it.

Your best bet may be to try and find a 225 at a bargain (I got mine via ebay for $100). Almost everyone who likes Grado likes the 225. Try it out. Establish a baseline. Then, when you get a chance to try the 325, even if it's only for a few minutes or an hour, the differences will be readily apparent.

You'll definitely like the 225. You *might* love the 325. Or you might hate it.

Good luck

Andy

3. AndyKatz
    Oh, and adding to my own comments, if you get either one used at a decent price, you'll be able to resell it for the same or even more. There's small financial risk in trying out used Grados [​IMG]

Andy

4. NotJeffBuckley
    SR-225 hands down in my opinion; the SR-325i has mildly-but-noticably better bass extension, that much is true, but the tradeoff is rather shrill highs. I've spent the better part of the evening with my SR-225 on and I am continually amazed by my desire to keep them on rather than take them off and do something productive; they've got that "just one more song!" quality. They seem to be more of a sonic precursor to the RS-1 than the SR-325i.

Both have their supporters, of course, but I've given my opinion.

5. acs236 Contributor
    Between the 225 and 325i, I vastly preferred the 225. The 325i is too edgy and bright for my tastes. The MS-2 would be a good choice also. I liked it a lot better than the 325i or 225.

6. en480c4
    I sat down with both and did some back-to-back comparisons. The 225's were a friends, the 325i's were mine. He was trying to decide if an upgrade to his Grados was worthwhile, and wanted my opinion. So we sat down with my Millett Hybrid and the Grados and here's what I came up with.

IMO there was nothing the 225 did better than the 325i. Again, nothing. I found nothing harsh in the 325i, and by comparison, the 225 sounded a little muddled and uninvolving. Bass impact, extension and detail were all better in the 325i by a fair margin. The 225 hung in there with the mids the best, but even there, while they had a little more body, there was no sense of cohesion. And the treble of the 325i was well above the 225. The detail was pretty impressive and it had a smoothness versus a bit of graininess in the highs of the 225. I actually found the 225 to feel brighter to my ears because it didn't have the overall balance the 325i had.

Are the 225's a great pair of headphones? Yeah, definitely. But I found the 325i to be more refined while mainaining that level of fun the 225 offers. And with a used 325i going for $225, I feel it's more than worthwhile to upgrade. Needless to say, I'm the minority in this respect, but as always, trust your own ears and pick the one you prefer. I did the same comparison 6 months later and dumped the 325i for the HF-1, again because other than a little treble detail, I didn't feel the 325i did anything as well as the HF-1.

7. jpr703
    I've owned both. The 325i is crisper and has better bass. However, it is ruthlessly revealing and can sound bright. If you're listening only to top notch recordings on a relatively smooth system, it would be the way to go. However, in most setups, and especially for Rock music (most of which is not flawlessly recorded) I'd pick the 225.

8. Arnoldhasmail
    After all the hype I was shocked to find the 225's and HF1's muddled...very poor at detail and seperation of instruments...a pair of Koss ksc75's with upgraded cable BLEW THEM AWAY...

I'm sure the 325i's are the way to go...if your a grado fan

9. midlife
    325i with flats and MAD Earplus HD tube amp is heavenly.

10. cheechoz
    What Andy said is true, you would need a very good amp to really enjoy the 325i's. Now the 225 is a bit warmer in the highs, and also just about as good as the 325i in handling the bass duties!

I am driving my Grado SR225 with a tube amp, and I must say, that it does a wonderful job at taming the highs, sometimes to much! I beleive, for my taste, and equipment, the 325i might be a better bet.

If I were you, I would get a SR225, as you will have the benefit of a great rock can, plus sound that is still nicely detailed, but less edgy than the lower end Grados! Enjoy! [​IMG]

11. Mercuttio
    I've never heard the 225, but I've got the MS2i now. Anybody heard both of those? How do they compare?

12. humanflyz
    @cheechoz:

Are you using bowls or flats on your SR225? I have plans right now to get a SR225 in the future, and I have a similar amp to yours, so your comments about the PPX taming too much of the highs is interesting.

13. cmanc
    AndyKatz you're talking about the gold ones and not the silver ones right?

Well I didn't like them very much with the bowls that I assume most people in this thread are judging them by; if you have a pair make sure you try them with other earpads specifcally HD414 and comfies with a hole cut out of them, they really do deepen the sound considerably and the "shrill highs" sound right on the money to me afterwards. I've tried the MS-2i (which sound best with bowls to me) and the SR325i (with modded comfies) and I sold the MS-2is. The MS-2is sounded artificial/synthetic to me (a bit metallic or cold sounding in the highs I think) even though it seemed more balanced, it also didn't sound very invloving or energetic at all - I eventually got bored listening to them. [​IMG]

14. Mercuttio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
    AndyKatz you're talking about the gold ones and not the silver ones right?

Well I didn't like them very much with the bowls that I assume most people in this thread are judging them by; if you have a pair make sure you try them with other earpads specifcally HD414 and comfies with a hole cut out of them, they really do deepen the sound considerably and the "shrill highs" sound right on the money to me afterwards. I've tried the MS-2i (which sound best with bowls to me) and the SR325i (with modded comfies) and I sold the MS-2is. The MS-2is sounded artificial/synthetic to me (a bit metallic or cold sounding in the highs I think) even though it seemed more balanced, it also didn't sound very invloving or energetic at all - I eventually got bored listening to them. [​IMG]

Huh! You're the first person I've heard say that they prefer the 325i to the MS2i! Interesting. Anyone else feel the same?

15. 9kRPM
    I listed to the 225's and 325i's back to back for a while and at the end I definantly thought the 325i's were better. I think you'll be happy with either of them, but to my ears the 325i's just did everything a little better than the 225's.

Next

Last