Grado S60 good enough for Shure E500 user?
Dec 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JMBNaples

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of cans for use in the office.

I have already graduated from Shure e2cs directly to the E500s months ago.

And yes, all my music is in lossless format. An no, no amps.

I have the px100 (purchased for my son actually). THey are compfy and decent. Impressive for the price point.

And importnantly, there appears to be no where near me where i can test out the Grados.

Will someone who usually listens to the E500s be ok with the Grado?

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, the E500 and SR60 have a very different sonic signature if that is what you're asking. Of course, that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy the SR60. To me, the E500 sound is more similar to Sennheiser headphones, the HD650 in particular -- dark, thick mids and lows.

If you buy from TTVJ.com or Headphone.com, both offer 30 day no questions asked return policies.

Are you in Italy (looking at your username)? I know there are several Head-Fi'ers in Italy. Maybe you could meet them for a demo, assuming one of them has the SR60.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Not Italy - Naples, Florida.

How would one describe the signiture of the Grado sound?

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 4
The Grado's have a lively energetic sound that can be a bit brash as well, luckily you can fine tune them with various pad choices. I've only briefly heard the SR60's but I was impressed with what they offered and how well they stood up against the RS-1's I owned at the time.

One thing though, you mention you're looking for phones for the office? Are the E500's for the office of the SR60's? If it's the SR60's be aware that the leak a lot of sound and would be annoying to anyone else trying to work around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back