Grado RS2i vs Wood Magnum V4?
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 10

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
1,143
Likes
27
My woody magnums are between housings right now (building a second set of cups) so i can't do an A/B right now, but the first housings, using some mystery purple wood, compared favourably to my RS1s (vintage A and B).  Hopefull i'll have the new set finished to a listenable state in a few days so can post some more focussed impressions if it helps you.
 
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 10

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
Posts
473
Likes
17
Location
Tampa, FL
Quote:
My woody magnums are between housings right now (building a second set of cups) so i can't do an A/B right now, but the first housings, using some mystery purple wood, compared favourably to my RS1s (vintage A and B).  Hopefull i'll have the new set finished to a listenable state in a few days so can post some more focussed impressions if it helps you.

Please do! Thanks!
 
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 10

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
Posts
473
Likes
17
Location
Tampa, FL
Has anyone compared these headphones? I'm trying to decide whether to go with the RS2i or take the plunge and get a custom wood-housed Magnum V4. The reason I'm so curious about comparisons is that I can't exactly return the Magnums if I don't like them.

I like the RS1i. I don't like the PS500 (mid-bass sounds unnaturally elevated to me). Which headphone sounds more similar to the Magnum V4's in wood? I'd love an RS1i/2i sound, but simply better in all aspects, which is what I'm hoping the wood-housed Magnum V4's are like.
 
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 10

silversurfer616

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
1,075
Likes
648
Location
Aotearoa
Had the V4s for a while(one week exactly)and while shopping for new pads I could compare them briefly to the RS1i....and that is why I sold them after a week!
The RS1i have more authority and punch whereas the V4s were to0 delicate/timid in comparison,with better tonality,though.
But depending on the wood,they can be really beautiful.
 
 
Oct 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 10

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
Posts
473
Likes
17
Location
Tampa, FL
Quote:
Had the V4s for a while(one week exactly)and while shopping for new pads I could compare them briefly to the RS1i....and that is why I sold them after a week!
The RS1i have more authority and punch whereas the V4s were to0 delicate/timid in comparison,with better tonality,though.
But depending on the wood,they can be really beautiful.
 

What type of housing did you set your V4's in?

Interesting to hear you favored the RS1i. A lot of what I've read is people preferring the Magnums over any Grado, but I'm just really curious why that is. I'm surprised to hear you found the Magnums too delicate/timid in comparison! I've heard the Magnums offer a visceral bass impact, so that impression did surprise me.
 
Oct 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 10

silversurfer616

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
1,075
Likes
648
Location
Aotearoa
Had the V4s built by jinteddy7 with silver cable,Cabilles Sapele wood cups and the Onyx Manta headband.
He claims they were better than the PS500!
They were too light in sound for my liking...but I am coming from an HD650 and LCD2Rev1 background,so I Iike dark headphones.
Right now I have the HE500 and find them "bright' with the silver stock cable.
 
Oct 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 10

marts30

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 15, 2011
Posts
705
Likes
82
Quote:
What type of housing did you set your V4's in?

Interesting to hear you favored the RS1i. A lot of what I've read is people preferring the Magnums over any Grado, but I'm just really curious why that is. I'm surprised to hear you found the Magnums too delicate/timid in comparison! I've heard the Magnums offer a visceral bass impact, so that impression did surprise me.

 
Yes I prefer the magnum V4 to the RS1i which I sold, and any Grado/Alessandro I've heard (up to RS1i/MS Pro)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top