Grado RS2i to complement Sennheiser HD650
Oct 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dan.gheorghe

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I have decided i want a new hole in my wallet. I remember the first time i wrote here. All i wanted was a headphone and an amp, both under 400 euros. After many maany threads read, i bought gear of aproximately 900 euros :p

I currently own a Corda Cantate 2 from Dr. Meier, a hd 650 with zu mobius cable, and a Xonar Essensce ST audio card.

I regret selling the hd 595 headphones, because i do not have any headphones to listen to at my working place, so i decided i want a brand new one.

After reading maany comparisons, i decided between Grado sr325is, Sennheiser hd25 c2beyerdynamic dt770, dt880, denon ah-d2000, and grado rs2i to go with grado rs2i.

At first i will not have any external amp-dac at work (but, in time,  i`m considering buying the Asus Xonar One after reading the excelent review made by Darku ), so i will be needing a headphone with low impedance, easier to drive, even though i will listen to it from the corda cantate (and essence st, used as dac, at home.

From what Darku said, i have understood that grado sound is a totally different thing from sennheisers sound, the soundstage being very small compared to the senns, the sound more forward and the midrage very detailed, puting you in the center of the instruments, not in the xth row like the senns.

I am not looking for the same sound of sennheisers, considering the fact i allready own a pair. I was thinking about something different.

I listen to classical music, rock, classical rock, house, pop (especially michael jackson) basically a lot of genres, these being the principal ones.

Will these headphones make a good complement to my hd650 ?

Have any of you listened to the RS2i, what can you say about it? 

I also heard that the highs on rs2 may be to harsh. I also read that some say they do not consider the highs to harsh. May it be the difference between the rs2i and rs2? I heard that rs2i are a little more relaxed than the rs2.

I know that are a lot of threads of rs2i and hd650, but nothing about the hd650 with zu mobius compared to rs2i.

All i ask is your opinions.

Thank you,

Dan

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello,

I have received the rs2i 4 days ago. I liked the sound very much. 
In comparisson hd650 has a deeper bass, and a fuller sound. You can feal the instruments in your bones with hd650 (with zu mobius).
I now see why people say that hd650 has a veil over them compared to grados.
After i listened to grados and switch to senn, the details were far back. The grados are more detailed. But i don`t think that saying hd650 has a veil is correct.
It`s just another type of sound. On the box grado advises the users not to listen to higher volumes, because the sound is made for you to hear details at normal volumes, in other words it brings the details forward.

The headphones do complement each other very well. I love listening to rock, and jazz to rs2i, house, classical music, rapp on hd650.

The bad part is that after 3 days of use the left driver failed.
Now the newly bought RS2is are in service. I`m kind of dissapointed at grados with this. It`s a 500$ dollars headphone for crying out loud (almost did cry :)) )
I hope that in the future, after i get them back i will not have any other problems .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back