Grado Rs2, 325's, or Ath-w100???
Oct 10, 2002 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

botchki

Head-Fier
Looking for input from any of you who have heard these three phones as I've narrowed my choices down to these. I listen to a lot of female vocalists, jazz, some alternative, light rock, and a little classical and am wondering the trade offs, benefits of these. I've heard the 325's, and RS 2's as well as the RS1's (out of my price range), and have read a lot of good things about the w100. I liked both the Grados I'm considering with a preference for the Rs2, but it sounds like the w100 might be a good headphone for me. So, I guess what I'm asking is for opinions from those who have compared them. I'm on a budget so from a price/sound perspective, which headphone whould be best for my tastes considering that the best price I've been able to find for them range from $200(325's) to $350 (Rs-2), with the w100's falling just about halfway inbetween. Amp they will be driven with is a Gilmore dynamic. Thanks for any opinions.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response Spad. I haven't heard the Cd 3000's but from what I've read they don't pair well with a SS amp, becoming too high, bright. And while I do like the sound of the Grados quite a bit, I think the w100's sound like they might fit me better, but who knows.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by botchki
Thanks for the response Spad. I haven't heard the Cd 3000's but from what I've read they don't pair well with a SS amp, becoming too high, bright. And while I do like the sound of the Grados quite a bit, I think the w100's sound like they might fit me better, but who knows.

It's too bad you can't hear them with a good SS amp yourself, Botchki. I use nothing but SS amps and they sound great to me. In fact, they're just about an even match with my W2002s IMO.

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 5
botchki ,
Don't forget to give the Audio-Technica ATH-A100Ti a try. According to Hirsh and Dusty Chalk, they prefer this phone to the w100. It is a limitted model. The built quality is excellent. The blue titanium earcups are way cool. The sound is crystal clear and the bass is not boommy at all. Soundstage is great. I really like this phone and prefer it to my HD-580. The comfort factor is hard to beat. I really like my pair (from hirsh). Anyway, just give it a thought. It is very efficient, and sounds great out of my Sony D-E905 Discman. The price including the shipping cost should be around 300 dollars from audiocubes.com

Act quick, b/c they only make 2000 of this for their 40 years aniversary. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back