Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,456 of 2,110
N*E*R*D - Truth or Dare is the best I've ever heard with the RS1i. Just awesome 
dt880smile.png

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,457 of 2,110
  I've always wore my Grados loosely on my ears with no pressure from the headband..at all.

Do you find having to increase the volume to compensate for loss of sound due to poor seal?
I ask as I have found there seems to be a sweet spot where you get a balance between the tops and bottoms when getting the tension right.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,458 of 2,110

Do you find having to increase the volume to compensate for loss of sound due to poor seal?
I ask as I have found there seems to be a sweet spot where you get a balance between the tops and bottoms when getting the tension right.

Grado's don't seal... even when they have the death clamp on your head...

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,459 of 2,110

No, I don't feel the need to increase the volume with them worn loosely on my head.
I think the sweet spot has to do more with the positioning on the ears, and the correct volume control.

Grado's don't seal... even when they have the death clamp on your head...

Exactly! Grados do not create a seal, nor were they deigned to.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,460 of 2,110
Interesting.
I find I do get a great seal now with the sennheisers reverse quarter mod producing like a chamber sound .
Previously with the loose tension the right pad was leaking sound and was considerably weaker compared to the left which was sealed.

As I said YMMV, but the tension makes a big difference with these pads.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #1,461 of 2,110
No, I don't feel the need to increase the volume with them worn loosely on my head.
I think the sweet spot has to do more with the positioning on the ears, and the correct volume control.

I find that after wearing Grado's for some time now that I really find just about every other hp out there either too heavy or too tight on my head.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,462 of 2,110

I find that after wearing Grado's for some time now that I really find just about every other hp out there either too heavy or too tight on my head.

+1

The RS1i  really spoiled me as far as the weight of headphones.

The weight of the can factors in much more for me, than most people, I think.

Alot of my sessions last for hours....so wearing something on my head that you really do not know is there, is priceless.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,463 of 2,110

Out of all the headphones I've tried/owned with the exception of the Bose AE-2 I find Grados to be extremely comfortable...even my 325's/PS1K's! 

+1

The RS1i  really spoiled me as far as the weight of headphones.

The weight of the can factors in much more for me, than most people, I think.

Alot of my sessions last for hours....so wearing something on my head that you really do not know is there, is priceless.

The RS1's are like a feather!!!

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,464 of 2,110
  Out of all the headphones I've tried/owned with the exception of the Bose AE-2 I find Grados to be extremely comfortable...even my 325's/PS1K's! 

The RS1's are like a feather!!!

The RS1i's are super awesome for sound, but their weight (just like the GS1000) make them a perfect pair for extended listening. I found the PS1000's to be super heavy on my head, but the PS500 and MS2i are ok :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,465 of 2,110

The RS1i's are super awesome for sound, but their weight (just like the GS1000) make them a perfect pair for extended listening. I found the PS1000's to be super heavy on my head, but the PS500 and MS2i are ok :)

Yeah, its strange that a lot of people find the PS1K's heavy…where as I have no issue with them at all, they are very comfortable too me. Maybe my head is numb???

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,466 of 2,110
Yeah, its strange that a lot of people find the PS1K's heavy…where as I have no issue with them at all, they are very comfortable too me. Maybe my head is numb???
It's because you've got that 80's rock star mop of hair.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,469 of 2,110
Planning to buy the rs1i I hope they are better than the 325i's I had

I am sure they will be but don't expect huge changes more so subtle.
I have my Grado SR80's and there are differences between the two which are audible.

I highly recommend burn-in at least 100hrs. I have gone through manic-confusion-depression listening to them under this 100hr and I can assure you buyers remorse did cross my mind at times thinking what did I just do LOL.

However, once pass the burn in stage they should sound open and warm, consistent and detailed with that inherent mid bass Grado thump.
Good luck

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,470 of 2,110
Planning to buy the rs1i I hope they are better than the 325i's I had

I find my RS1i's quite different to my MS2i's, the RS1i has some more detail in the mids and highs. I use my MS2i's with G-Cush though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back