Grado RS1i and RS1e side by side - Pictures!
Oct 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 51
Inner diameter of e series pads is wider? The lip of the driver is fully visible whereas the i series is not.
Are also the pad layers different??

Great pictures and comparo. The RS1s will always be in my heart :)

Does the actual driver also protruded (nearer our ears), is is it only the housing that's protruded?

Coz if it's inly the housing, I'd prefer that actually bec that will ensure the actual driver doesn't get nearer your ear, the effect of which for me is much better. Just have to get the volume up by a notch or two.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 51
All I can say is that the PS1000e's drivers were touching my ears, wich made them very uncomfortable. I do have smallish ears though, so ymmv on that one.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 51
All I can say is that the PS1000e's drivers were touching my ears, wich made them very uncomfortable. I do have smallish ears though, so ymmv on that one.
Any idea why Grado did that? Only benefit I can think of is to make sure the actual driver (not housing) is not too near or touching our ears.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 51
think it maybe to keep a decent soundstage with the larger drive unit,
it really is a matter of mm difference in distance to ear which can kill the soundstage.
thats why i,ve gone for the G cush in on the rs1e to regain it.
not a fan of in your face setup but still love the grado signature.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 51
Kind of disappointed about the driver-ear separation.  I don't think I would like it that close to my ear, and I also don't like the G cushions.  Maybe I could modify my existing cushions to add just a bit more depth.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 51
I have compared the PS1000e with my old PS1000, and I came to the conclusion that the new pads are responsable for the major part of the sound difference between the old and new PS1000.

I also think that the cable size is getting ridiculously large. They started out with 2, then 4, then 8, and now 12 conductors, I mean, when will they stop?.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 51
I have compared the PS1000e with my old PS1000, and I came to the conclusion that the new pads are responsable for the major part of the sound difference between the old and new PS1000.

I also think that the cable size is getting ridiculously large. They started out with 2, then 4, then 8, and now 12 conductors, I mean, when will they stop?.

That's the "secret sauce", stacker45, together with the long crystal copper. The more long crystal copper you put there, the better the resolution and the closer to natural the sound is. That's why Grados sounds different, all the others has similarities distinguishable from a Grado. IMHO of course.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 51
those new pads obviously will change the sound dramatically and more importantly, cause even more driver/ear contact/rub which I do not see anyone wanting save a few masochists.

I see a business opportunity for custom recessed driver cups in the future if these pads will become standard issue.

Also looks like grado ran out of those mystical Brooklyn mahogany trees and are now using the standard mahogany the rest of the world grows. I doubt his has substantial tone aspects compared to if/what they are using as a finish, in particular what is used on the inside. Regarding that, I'd recommend people try what joe does to the inners of his metal cups (goop criss cross ridge patterned adhesive caulk application - helps tame some upper end grado siblance/odd reflections)

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #24 of 51
the protruding driver is an ergonomically bad idea imo. looks like a compromise that grado had to make to accommodate a larger driver in an existing housing rather than undertaking a redesign. honestly, i'd be holding on to an i and giving the e a miss.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #25 of 51
the protruding driver is an ergonomically bad idea imo. looks like a compromise that grado had to make to accommodate a larger driver in an existing housing rather than undertaking a redesign. honestly, i'd be holding on to an i and giving the e a miss.

IMO a larger driver unless it's sensitivity has been increased will need more current to generate sound which is equivalent more or less to a smaller driver with less sensitivity. The fact the driver is closer to ear kinda makes this hypothesis more accurate that sensitivity did not increase hence the driver being closer to ear.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 51
Is the driver (diaphragm) also closer to the ear? Or is it only the metal housing with holes?

Asking this bec if the driver or diaphragm is not closer, and only the metal housing with holes is closer to the ear, all our discussion here is moot. In fact of this is true, it's an ingenious way to ensure that the driver/diaphragm doesn't get too close to our ears, which is ideal.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #27 of 51

Just got those last week, and to my great suprise - came with a Brown leather headband- absolutely STUNNING. 
Still got plenty more burning-in hours ahead , but already sounds amazing paird with the wonderful Chord Hugo.   

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 51

Just got those last week, and to my great suprise - came with a Brown leather headband- absolutely STUNNING. 
Still got plenty more burning-in hours ahead , but already sounds amazing paird with the wonderful Chord Hugo.   
Is that the Chord Hugo? Didn't think it's that huge!

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 51

Is that headband aftermarket or factory?
Curious.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #30 of 51
Is that the Chord Hugo? Didn't think it's that huge!
PLEASE let us know if your impressions on both your RS1e and Hugo. Very interested on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back