Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Feb 16, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #241 of 290
my friend soooooo wants a pair of grados....he has a love-on for the RS1e.

i used to have a pair of 325s many yrs ago...were a bit grating.
unsure of which model: gs1000s, rs1e or the ps1000e

...i have a chord mojo and also mapletree earplus HD tube amp.
(and dragonfly red, and ifi micro idsd)
just seeking a versatile set of cans that are very balanced, detailed but also punchy
(love great but not overdone bass slam)...

i currently have the senn 650s.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #243 of 290
Got my new RS1e yesterday. I will let them burn in some time (while I still enjoy my relatively new HD600).

First impression was that they sound close to the old RS1e with protruding drivers but the problems with rolled highs seems to be solved. Don't have my old RS1e anymore but will compare them with my GH1 (before they also will find a new home).

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #244 of 290
Hi guys,

What does RS1i/e "Frankenstein" mean ? thanks

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #245 of 290
Generally means a RSI with the red drivers typical of the RS1e. Just before Grado Labs released the RS1e labeled as such, they put its red drivers into the RS1i they were selling.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #246 of 290
  Hi guys,

What does RS1i/e "Frankenstein" mean ? thanks

The first few posts of this thread are worth reading on this subject.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #247 of 290
But still not clear the “Frankenstein” term - is this a special RS1e version, or RS1e in general has that nickname ?

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #248 of 290
  But still not clear the “Frankenstein” term - is this a special RS1e version, or RS1e in general has that nickname ?

O.K. Just before the RS1e appeared, that is to say, at the end of the RS1i 'run', people like me who ordered the RS1i found that they received a slightly different headphone which was halfway between the RS1i and the RS1e to be. To be specific, it had the new red-coloured drivers (50mm) rather than the former (44mm) drivers but still had the 1/4" plug rather than the 1/8" plug to come. More controversially, the drivers protruded rather far from out of the cups (see the first posts in this thread for photos). I believe that it was supplied with a thicker cable than before.The sound signature was initially very disappointing, although it improves mightily with long burn-in. The pizza box describes this transitional model as an RS1i (correction - I had remembered that it was marked, simply, RS1).

After this batch the RS1e became almost the creature it is today - the 1/4" plug became a 1/8" plug and the drivers were made more flush with the cups. A final refinement was that the headband is now supplied brown rather than black. That certainly looks good in the photos.

Someone suggested that 'Frankenstein' was a good shorthand for the 'transitional' headphone described above. It's certainly easier to write than RS1i/e.

Sound-wise, most users allege a treble roll-off on the RS1i/e. I found them shrill, very bright and forward, two-dimensional and prone to congestion in loud tuttis. I have 64-year-old ears however. They were golden once, but have had too many summers for me to pontificate about sound high on the stave. They (EDIT - the headphones, not my ears) have improved a great deal and are wonderful at bringing life to dull recordings (historical recordings, for example), however, I would certainly try to obtain a real RS1i or RSIe and avoid the Frankenstein (which I have now described as well as I can). I hope that helps.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #250 of 290
  O.K. Just before the RS1e appeared, that is to say, at the end of the RS1i 'run', people like me who ordered the RS1i found that they received a slightly different headphone which was halfway between the RS1i and the RS1e to be. To be specific, it had the new red-coloured drivers (50mm) rather than the former (44mm) drivers but still had the 1/4" plug rather than the 1/8" plug to come. More controversially, the drivers protruded rather far from out of the cups (see the first posts in this thread for photos). I believe that it was supplied with a thicker cable than before.The sound signature was initially very disappointing, although it improves mightily with long burn-in. The pizza box describes this transitional model as an RS1 (without qualifying 'i' or 'e').

After this batch the RS1e became almost the creature it is today - the 1/4" plug became a 1/8" plug and the drivers were made more flush with the cups. A final refinement was that the headband is now supplied brown rather than black. That certainly looks good in the photos.

Someone suggested that 'Frankenstein' was a good shorthand for the 'transitional' headphone described above. It's certainly easier to write than RS1i/e.

Sound-wise, most users allege a treble roll-off on the RS1i/e. I found them shrill, very bright and forward, two-dimensional and prone to congestion in loud tuttis. I have 64-year-old ears however. They were golden once, but have had too many summers for me to pontificate about sound high on the stave. They (EDIT - the headphones, not my ears) have improved a great deal and are wonderful at bringing life to dull recordings (historical recordings, for example), however, I would certainly try to obtain a real RS1i or RSIe and avoid the Frankenstein (which I have now described as well as I can). I hope that helps.

Thank you very much - now it is clear :).

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #251 of 290
  As my GH1 are now up for sale, I will order a new pair of RS1e. Will report back.

Although I let my headphones run a few days unattented, I'm still no believer in burn-in. At least not in a change from bad to great. However, small changes can have a great impact. I listened once to two new Beyerdynamics and one had less of that Beyer peak and was miles better than the other.

This time I will give the RS1e all the chance they deserve.

How much for the GH1's and where are you located?

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #252 of 290
Hi guys! I've been on the Grado band wagon for years, and then got rid of the hifi itch. It's back, and I have it bad! Anyway, Three Points:

1) Back in the day I bought the Grado HF-2 limited edition. Metal/Wood hybrid. Love those cans..... Are they what are now called the PS500?

2) After almost pulling the trigger on the RS1 headphones, I finally did. Bought them from Moon Audio with the detachable Black Dragon Cable. Use the Schiit Jotunheim from a Mac with Apple Lossless files. WOW. Great sound stage, beautiful treble, and yes, the Bass is very good also, punchy even. I only have 10-12 hours on them, but the harsh treble that I heard initially are now smoothed out. I can hardly wait until these have 100's of hours on them.

3) Which brings be to point 3. People in this thread are saying that Grado has suggested that we should burn in the "e" series cans with constant music for 100's of hours at a time. I can't find where they said it, or what their reasoning was. Can anyone provide more info?

Thanks

Leo

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #253 of 290
I think it says on the instructions with the e-series Grados, that you let them burn in naturally. Hiowever if you're like some folk, and listen to music for hours a day. Then why not leave them hooked up to music while not listening. I think it's up to you.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #254 of 290
I demoed a pair of RS1e new (according to the audio shop guys) in SG out of my AK70 Mk.II. Amazingly easy to drive from a DAP and I really love the sound signature. It is incredibly detailed compared to my W1000Z and gives this feeling of wild energy being well-controlled.

I don't really understand why the Reddit folks at /r/headphones hate on these so much.

I intend to buy a brand new pair soon (or maybe compare with RS2e first), not now because I just purchased UE18+ recently.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #255 of 290
I demoed a pair of RS1e new (according to the audio shop guys) in SG out of my AK70 Mk.II. Amazingly easy to drive from a DAP and I really love the sound signature. It is incredibly detailed compared to my W1000Z and gives this feeling of wild energy being well-controlled.

I don't really understand why the Reddit folks at /r/headphones hate on these so much.

I intend to buy a brand new pair soon (or maybe compare with RS2e first), not now because I just purchased UE18+ recently.

We are still waiting for a detailed review of where the RS1e is now. As detailed in this thread, I own one of the transitional ones which have an arresting sound after long burn-in but which have significant flaws. People swiftly abandoned this model for the RS2e which is widely appreciated. However, Grado continued to work on the RS1e and it would be good to know where this headphone is now in the pecking order. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back