Grado RS1 Grattle/Rattle or Torn Diaphragm
Apr 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 38

So which version of RS1 did you send to Grado Labs for repair?

Quote:
I've owned three pairs of grado rs1 versions: vintage A which to me was warm and mellow; and than rs1i, more increased bass and treble extension and soundstage but somewhat thin in midrange, and now vintage b which is the most aggressive in lower treble attack of all.  Don't know which is best but all very different.  I guess it's all about preference.  So whatever they do to it, i'm sure it will be a variation of the grado rs1 sound.  

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #33 of 38
That's definitely not how I'd define my Vintage B when I had it. Mine sounded the same as any Vintage A or S I'd heard.

Quote:
The Vintage B: The most forward and aggressive one.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #34 of 38
I was shocked too.  Imagine my surprise.  But everything on the outside seem to indicate Vintage B.  Grado's are really hard to figure. 
Well, once they're done with the repairs, it's going to sound different again anyways.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
That's definitely not how I'd define my Vintage B when I had it. Mine sounded the same as any Vintage A or S I'd heard.

The Vintage B is not really aggressive to me either; the RS1 classics have a thinner brighter sound.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 38
What were the determining marks on yours again?

Quote:
I was shocked too.  Imagine my surprise.  But everything on the outside seem to indicate Vintage B.  Grado's are really hard to figure. 
Well, once they're done with the repairs, it's going to sound different again anyways.

Quote:

The Vintage B is not really aggressive to me either; the RS1 classics have a thinner brighter sound.

Indeed, though the RS1 classics (the earlier ones at least) can pad-roll a little with the bowls or the flats. In my experience, the Vintages never sounded very good with any bowls unless they were super compacted. It's always been a little weird to me that John included the bowls starting with Vintage A, but didn't really shift the sound until the Classic series. 

May 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #37 of 38
Well, my Grado RS1 will look vintage but will sound like a RS1i (with the new drivers).  So this whole idea of getting a vintage grado rs1 was good for nothing.
Well at least it will look vintage.  I like the square rods and rounded cable rest anyways.  And my headband does have more padding and is smaller so it fits my head better.
Not to mention the button on the grill.  I guess that's nice too.  So I guess if anyone wanted a vintage looking Grado RS1 with a Grado RS1i, sound, I have it.

Mercuttio
The seller told me it was vintage b.  And all seems so to me too.  Until I got it and listened to it.  And it was too late by than.  And worse the driver broke.  The seller pretty much said sorry but that was all.  It had the green felt in the box with older cardboard box.  The button on grill.  The square rods and rounded cable rest.  Also pads were glued on with no serial number.  To me, that meant vintage but I guess I must have been wrong. 

Anyways, lesson to be learned.  You were right about seeking vintage gear.  Never no when it will break.  But never figured it be that soon.  I only had a week or two before the drivers broke.   Its been four weeks and I'm still waiting. 

My the way, doesn't the ATH-ESW9 sound like closed Grado RS1?

May 13, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #38 of 38
After 5, almost 6 six finally got it from Grado Labs.  They said the voice coil opened up.  They won't tell me no matter how much I push wether it's the driver is simply RS1i or matched to older driver I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back