Grado RS-2 without the "i"...
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I was planning on buying the Grado SR325is before, but then I found that I could buy a pair of RS-2's for the same price, only it had been used as a "demo" headphone... So I've ordered them.... But it turned out it was the RS-2 version without an "i".... I was wondering if it's a big difference with the upgrade ??? And if it is, can I somehow upgrade them myself (need to be easy) ?? I've heard about an upgrade to 8-conductor cable, but was that for RS-2 also ??

I hope it's not a too big upgrade......

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 15
For one, the "i" version has a thicker cable. You would have to pry the driver from the wooden cup, desolder the old wires off, and solder the new ones on. You would also have to enlarge the cable hole in the wooden cup. Not so easy, IMO.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 15
I would be interested to know about this too.

Also, is there an "Official Grado RS-2 Owner's Club"? I tried a search, but I didn't come up with anything.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 15
There is very likely very little difference between the two. Many are hard-pressed to tell the difference between "i" versions and their earlier counterparts, and some think that these non-"i" versions are actually better. No problem here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 15
.......and there some of us who simply not fans of RS-2. Owned and sold it. To me the HF-2 has a great driver which REALLY can be even better as a "FrankenGrado" (eg. Vixen HF-2) and continue to have luv for my older RS-1/flats.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Aren't there any sites witch can recable headphones for you ?? As I've read the site "Headphile" doesn't recable RS1/RS2"..... Any other reliable pages ??

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't there any sites witch can recable headphones for you ?? As I've read the site "Headphile" doesn't recable RS1/RS2"..... Any other reliable pages ??

I personally have the older non 'i" RS-2 and think it sounds fine as it is. My HF2 has the thicker "i" cable which I find more bulky and less flexible. Physically, I prefer the thinner older cable.

IMO, if you are going to recable, might as well use a higher quality aftermarket cable. Here is a company that recables wooden Grados...
APureSound V3 - Grado RS-2
I may send mine in someday.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 15
The i version has an 8 conductor cable and no button on the grill. These are slight improvements at best, and you are probably getting a higher quality phone than the ones made today. You'll enjoy them.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 15
I've read what you all have said and it's a VERY good thing that you think it's not a big difference !! And even better that some of you think they're even better
popcorn.gif
I'll not recable them after what you said... Atleast not now. I shouldn't complain, I got the headphones for about 560$ and they cost about 910$ new... (in Sweden..) I only converted the money from Swedish kronor to dollars, everything in Sweden is extremely expensive and right now dollars is VERY low for us, so that's why the high price....
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW when I still looked after a page that offered recabling service I found that Moon audio does that... If any of you want to know
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Sorry for double post.... If I'm not wrong I think the Grado RS-2 (older ver) have different pads than the newer "i" models (bowl pads). Shall I change to bowl pads or stay with the ones on (don't know how they are). I want the best sound, but I also want comfort.....
bigsmile_face.gif

The picture is of the old version (without "i"). This version have a black "cover" over the driver... But the new ones have white, can that be changed ??
smily_headphones1.gif
I really like the white one....

[size=large]Link to image, don't know how to insert image... (Grado RS-2)[/size]

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is very likely very little difference between the two. Many are hard-pressed to tell the difference between "i" versions and their earlier counterparts, and some think that these non-"i" versions are actually better. No problem here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly. Recabling to match the "i" thicker cable (or any aftermarket cable for that matter) is so not worth it. And it costs way more than any difference will return, if any.

I think the "i" versions are pretty much all cosmetic changes anyway, otherwise Grado would have bumped up the price significantly.

A demo RS2 is a great deal, I got one for a bargain when in the US. The 325 isn't comparable on $$ alone, it has a far different sound.

With the money you save, try both pads, they're not that expensive.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The i version has an 8 conductor cable and no button on the grill.

There are also "non-i" versions that don't have the grill button but the older smaller cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back