Grado RS-1 vs PS-1 vs GS1000
Aug 21, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Agree with everything you said - except I preferred the timbre on the wooden Grados more. Sorry I thought you meant performancewise between the L3000 and PS-1. I know what you mean about no other headphone being able to do what the PS-1 does, but that's the case with most phones. I think we agree that pure sound refinement and weight, while sacrificing soundstage give the PS-1 it's place which was why I was interested since the GS-1000 can sound thin like the RS-1. That's why I kept my Senn 600 for a meaty midrange.

That's interesting as I always found the wooden Grados quite colored (not a bad thing, I love my colored L3000). Different ears, different impressions.

It is true that "Doing what no other headphone is able to do" applies to several phones (I wouldn't say "most", though) but none of them is as "limited" as the PS-1 is (L3000G doesn't really count) so competition is likely to be fiercer.

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Agreed, if I had your setup, and listened to mostly rock, I would pick the PS-1also. There was definately a difference in refinement. And frankly I'd be happy. I don't know if getting a high priced DAC would be worth it, and I really think you have a nice system, so don't feel that I wasn't impressed
cool.gif

Actually, I was surprised you enjoyed it as much as you did. Since I haven't been to any meets, I had no idea how good or bad a computer based setup sounds in comparison to dedicated systems. I just know it sounds the best it's every sounded with the PS-1.

So if I wanted to try something different, a tubed amp would be the way to go. The good thing is it wouldn't be too much money if I sold the HR-2 and got a decent tube amp.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
That's interesting as I always found the wooden Grados quite colored (not a bad thing, I love my colored L3000). Different ears, different impressions.

It is true that "Doing what no other headphone is able to do" applies to several phones (I wouldn't say "most", though) but none of them is as "limited" as the PS-1 is (L3000G doesn't really count) so competition is likely to be fiercer.

You don't find the PS-1 colored
confused.gif
Have you heard the GS-1000?

I found the PS-1 and RS-1 more colored than the GS-1000. Anyway, different ears. I definately liked the wooden ones for timbre, except for voices and electric guitar.

Yes. The PS-1 is limited which might be why it gets that extra intrigue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
So if I wanted to try something different, a tubed amp would be the way to go. The good thing is it wouldn't be too much money if I sold the HR-2 and got a decent tube amp.

uh oh upgrade? But you're right!

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #34 of 63
I found the gs1k's to be more coloured in the highs and mids. Ps-1 mids are clear with a touch of bloom, while the gs1k has more of a warm wooden tone (not as syrupy as rs-1 because of the big bowls). The tone of the highs on the gs1k are tipped up like rs-1's so the cymbals sound too warm in my opinion. Since ps-1 bass is more out of balance the edge goes to gs1k for the bass.

Biggie.

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #35 of 63
but it sounds like i should.

thx for the commentary on three great headphones!

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #36 of 63
Thanks for the awesome thread!

It makes my RS-1's feel much safer now...
biggrin.gif

Except for those comments about the K1000's beating all three Grados....

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Thanks for the awesome thread!

It makes my RS-1's feel much safer now...
biggrin.gif

Except for those comments about the K1000's beating all three Grados....

From my discussion with robm321, it sounds like K1000 are perfectly suited for classical and jazz but if you want that toe tapping sound, the RS-1 or PS-1 is where to look. The GS1000 seemed to be competing for the same genres and it sounds like the K1000 is the winner except in comfort and easy of use. You can't lay down with the K1000.

As far as the HR-2, I'm back to the opa627. After spending more time with the opa637, it was missing the great texture of the opa627. I'm still curious about tubes. I do remember trying one once with my ety ER-4s and thought everything sounded more rounded with less detail. I didn't like it at the time. I have no idea what amp it was though.

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

From my discussion with robm321, it sounds like K1000 are perfectly suited for classical and jazz but if you want that toe tapping sound, the RS-1 or PS-1 is where to look. The GS1000 seemed to be competing for the same genres and it sounds like the K1000 is the winner except in comfort and easy of use. You can't lay down with the K1000.

As far as the HR-2, I'm back to the opa627. After spending more time with the opa637, it was missing the great texture of the opa627. I'm still curious about tubes. I do remember trying one once with my ety ER-4s and thought everything sounded more rounded with less detail. I didn't like it at the time. I have no idea what amp it was though.

Actually, it's not the speed that is the issue - the K-1000s are very fast and incredibly dynamic (using a 30 watt amp). They work great for rock music (toe tapping and all). The issue is more about rock related recordings having a glaring top end and digital processed sound. The recordings that are well done sound fantastic.

The K-1000s are very honest in delivering what's on the recording. They don't soften the blow like the PS-1's do with higher frequency nastiness. They actually have a smooth "in the studio sound" that's closer to the PS-1 than the "romantic" sounding GS-1000, but a soundstage that goes beyond the head.

I had thoughts of owning the K-1000 for soundstage and overall reference and the PS-1 for a thicker, more forgiving, easier to just put on and not worry about placement and toe out. A kind of counterbalance, but no one wants to sell them to me
blink.gif

Since having those thoughts. The GS-1000 has been working on me - the rich warm timbre just draws me into the emotions of mainly large scale classical music. Ideally I would like the end up with the K-1000 (reference), the GS-1000, and PS-1. The RS-1 and GS-1000 sound too similar to justify having both for the long run. I don't plan on selling them for the time being. I just have to have 1 wooden Grado for that warm, nice timbre, and romantic sound.

Which chip was that? The one I liked?

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Which chip was that? The one I liked?

Thanks for clearing up the facts about the K1000.

I believe you liked the ad797 in the HR-2. I switched it back to the opa627 when I said something was missing in the guitar. I tried the ad797 again yesterday and it doesn't do anything for me with the PS-1. They seem less detailed, smaller soundstage, and muddier. With the opa627, everything opens up, has texture, and more detail. The PS-1 even has better rhythm with this chip. GS1000 needs the ad797 this chip to help with rock music.

I guess if I ever do try tubes, you at least have the option to tube roll to find the exact sound you are looking for. I'm still on the fence about this. I think I'll have to hear them first before I make a blind purchase again. There are a couple of used X-CAN v2 available real cheap but I don't know if that would be highend enough to show me how a great tube amp can sound.

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Thanks for clearing up the facts about the K1000.

I believe you liked the ad797 in the HR-2. I switched it back to the opa627 when I said something was missing in the guitar. I tried the ad797 again yesterday and it doesn't do anything for me with the PS-1. They seem less detailed, smaller soundstage, and muddier. With the opa627, everything opens up, has texture, and more detail. The PS-1 even has better rhythm with this chip. GS1000 needs the ad797 this chip to help with rock music.

I guess if I ever do try tubes, you at least have the option to tube roll to find the exact sound you are looking for. I'm still on the fence about this. I think I'll have to hear them first before I make a blind purchase again. There are a couple of used X-CAN v2 available real cheap but I don't know if that would be highend enough to show me how a great tube amp can sound.

From what I've heard the Mapletree amp would probably be the best, reasoneably priced fully tubed amp which everyone seems to think matches the RS-1 perfectly. And Grados general synergy with the same amps in my experience. But the X-cans is a great value that will give some tube qualities while not getting overly lush. I've only heard the V.3, so I don't know about the earlier models. A relatively cheap upgrade (pink floyd) will be my next step and from what I've read makes a big difference.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

The K-1000s are very honest in delivering what's on the recording. They don't soften the blow like the PS-1's do with higher frequency nastiness.

I think its rather that the brighter highs of the k1000 are accentuating the sibilance.

Biggie.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I think its rather that the brighter highs of the k1000 are accentuating the sibilance.

Biggie.

I disagree. When I listen to well recorded female vocals, or anything else for that matter, I don't hear any harshness at all. And that's not on my TT but on my CD player. Aside from bass roll off, the frequency response is ruler flat all the way through the highs, so I don't know how that would be possible.

It's more likely that the PS-1 highs have an artificial softening to it. That's why good and bad recordings all sound a like even though strident recordings should sound harsh but don't.

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

I disagree. When I listen to well recorded female vocals, or anything else for that matter, I don't hear any harshness at all. And that's not on my TT but on my CD player. Aside from bass roll off, the frequency response is ruler flat all the way through the highs, so I don't know how that would be possible.

It's more likely that the PS-1 highs have an artificial softening to it. That's why good and bad recordings all sound a like even though strident recordings should sound harsh but don't.

Those albums you are talking about are processed to sound that way. Kind of like the last 3 tool albums. Not a trace of sibilance anywhere.

Tell me why any recording should sound strident, when if that singer was standing beside you it wouldn't sound strident. You'll hear sibilance in their voice, but its natural, without an extra bite to it. Which is why the ps-1 is comes out ahead for me.

I know a few of people that loved the k1000, but ended up selling the can because they found they were only listening to their 'best recordings'. What they really meant was they were listening to their least sibilant recordings. I prefer to be able to enjoy all my recordings that weren't recorded hot.

Biggie.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #44 of 63
OT.

I found scott nixon's USBTD is a great,most forgiving DAC i've heard yet,if you like to listen to poorly recorded materials(just like me) on k1000,you really should give it a try,it's great way to hide the flaws on the bad record.

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Hey I want in - San Ramon
cool.gif

are you ditching us berkeley'ers?

i'll have an mpx3 slam se in a week that I won't share with yoU!

When're you geting the BD done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back