Grado RS-1 pads...
Sep 22, 2006 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vberch

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I just got my RS-1's! They are awesome to say the list!!! Now, the bowl pads that they came with are in prestine shape but a bit uncomfortable (what else is new?).

If I decide to replace them, are original pads glued there?

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 13
Give the bowl pads some time. They'll get softer and more comfortable, especcially if you wash them. The pads should pull right off without a lot of effort.

You might also want to try flat pads ($30) if you want a thicker, richer sound.

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 13
the lacquer tends to stick to the foam. If you pull and twist at it gently they should pull off.

Mine still do this, even theough they are old... S/N 1290

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 13
What kramer said...

No glue is used on the foam, so we can only assume that maybe the pads were put on at Grado labs while the lacquer was still tacky.

Another tip to add to help with comfort:

As mentioned, you can wash the bowls. I prefer to just use them regularly until the natural oils of your skin soften them up. Also, don't be afraid to bend that headband (as outlined in the instructions that came with your RS-1s). A properly bent headband will make your RS-1s a LOT more comfortable.

Have fun with your new toy, they are a really nice set of phones!

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks guys! I bent the headband a little bit and increase in comfort is unbeliavable. I am prefectly fine with the bowls now. Thank you VERY much!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
What kramer said...

No glue is used on the foam, so we can only assume that maybe the pads were put on at Grado labs while the lacquer was still tacky.

As mentioned, you can wash the bowls. I prefer to just use them regularly until the natural oils of your skin soften them up. Also, don't be afraid to bend that headband (as outlined in the instructions that came with your RS-1s). A properly bent headband will make your RS-1s a LOT more comfortable.

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 13
If by any chance you find the bowls don't conform quickly enough you can wash them with a mild soft soap or shampoo in lukewarm water. Rinse well with cold water and allow to dry overnight before you put them back. Good luck, IMO the RS-1 is the best dynamic headphone available today.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Thank you VERY much everybody!!! You guys created a monster. I can't take these things off. I think I figured out the secret of Grado success... The bowls in the Grado's, they create suction and stick to your ears, so you can't take them off
580smile.gif
. There, the cat's out of the bag now.

Seriously though, these things are simply amazing. Thank you all for helping me find this little Stradivari of headphones!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
What kramer said...

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
trying out different pads is part of the grado fun

try hd414 pads; they're my favorite

From what I have tried, these are the best comfort, but worst SQ side.
Not sure how you live with them.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Several of us were just talking about the GoodCans Comfort Rings, but as far as we know no one here has tried them.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 13
Just ordered Ear Zonk leatherette pads crafted specifically for Grado 'phones. Will post if substantially better or worse than expected. I expect a slight treble decrease (which will present itself as a bass boost) and less of a touch from my ear to the driver due to the increased depth. I've tried S- L- and Bowl pads, and don't really find any of them comfortable. I like the sound with the Bowl best, as they push the driver a bit away from the ear. Comfort is better around my glasses.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Unfortunately, Ear Zonk leatherettes essentially went too far in my hoped-for direction - cut the treble too much, thus closing in the soundstage; made the bass boomy and muddy. Also, required keeping in the plastic retainer ring which threatened scratches one the RS-1i wood cups. The Ear Zonk foam products had worked fine for me in the past, but not these leatherette versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back