Grado RA1 Fastners
Jun 18, 2002 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Anyone know what type of fastner Grado uses to attach bottom plate of RA1 amp? Where can I get tool to remove these? Looks
like it requires a "hollow" hex key type tool, does Radio Shack carry these?

One of the wires broke to 9 volt battery connector and I need to replace it.

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Does the thing look like a star with a pin in the middle? That is a screw that is designed not the be unscrewed unless you have the scpecial tool for it. Companies use it to keep their products from being opened (I think it is called a no-tamper torx or something)

Your best bet would be to pick the RA-1 up and take it to Lowes or Home Depot, and say "I need something that will fit this" and point to the screw. If they don't have anything you could either take a hex wrench and drill out the center or break off the pin in the screw.

Or you could send it back to Grado and see if they will fix it.

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Anyone know what type of fastner Grado uses to attach bottom plate of RA1 amp? Where can I get tool to remove these? Looks
like it requires a "hollow" hex key type tool, does Radio Shack carry these?

One of the wires broke to 9 volt battery connector and I need to replace it.

That's strange. The bottom plate on mine is a silver metal plate with 8 Philips head screws. I've removed it a few times to resolder connections etc.

What colour is the plate on yours DarkAngel?

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 12
My RA1 is 1yr old and as Bubba indicated looks like it takes a hex key but there is a raised pin in the center, so must be hollow hex key tool. Color of botom plate is painted bronze type finish.

I checked radio shack and lowes, no one has tool to remove these
(Grado attempt to foil DIY?) and I dont want to drillout fasteners
since resale value will go to hell.

So off to Grado it goes for repair, no charge but 2-3 week of no RA1 to use
frown.gif

BTW if I had access to drill press I could drillout center of hex key
to fit fastener so I could have my own "secret" Grado wrench
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 12
DA, I'm thinking dremel with the bench press attachment.

Once you have a dremel you wonder how you ever lived without it.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 12
It sounds like the screw is a "tamper-proof"-Torx, so a drilled-out hex-key will not fit. Several places where I live sell a so called "security" bit-set, that contains these special bits. Try looking/asking in different hardware- and electronics stores if they can help you.

/U.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Grado attempt to foil DIY?

That is exactly the idea. Maybe they got mad when someone opened the thing up and looked at the circuitry.

Quote:

BTW if I had access to drill press I could drillout center of hex key to fit fastener so I could have my own "secret" Grado wrench
evil_smiley.gif

That's what I ment when I said you could drill out the center of a hex key. But I've never done anything like that
wink.gif
. (btw, a pair of vice grips and a drill press set on high speed works best, just be sure to go very slow.)

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 12
the next time you see a Snap-On or Matco tool truck follow him until he stops at a local shop(usually every few blocks) and buy a 1/8" tamper proof "Hex" bit.Not Torx!!they cost $2.20 from Matco and $3.10 from Snap-On.

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Hmmm, perhaps I am confused at to which type it is.

A torx screw looks like a star, with little valleys radiating away from the center, while a normal hex screw simply has the pentago shaped hole, correct? I have never seem a tamper-proof hex, only torx. Maybe I need to get out more....

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 12
I've got those bits, poicked them up at a computer show a while ago. All sizes Torx, tri-wing bits, the hex with hole in middle, etc........Came in a red rubber case with a small extension, and cost me $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back