Grado RA-1 + HD580 = Distortion Box!
Jul 1, 2002 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

arnett

Consigliere
Well, I either have a bum unit or the RA-1 *can’t* drive the HD580s after all.
wink.gif

Just got my new RA-1, plugged it into my CDP via my outlaw IC’s and . . . whoa! . . . it’s distorted as hell.

The sound is okay until about the 9 o’clock position. Then only the left side becomes distorted.
I thought it was my Plainview 9 volts, but a battery switch didn’t do the trick.

The amp kind of reminds me of this distortion pedal I once had called ‘classic fuzz.’
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I’ll call Grado tomorrow and send it to them for repairs.

With the HD580s, this distortion is not normal
confused.gif
. . . right?

Reminds me of all those mg head reviews: “the amp has really bad hum on the left channel . . . but God, I love the sound!”

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Are you sure both of your batteries are good? Mine starts to distort when batteries are low. Thought I'd ask - just in case.

Jul 1, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Never Mind!

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 8
I am using my HD600 and RS1 with the Grado RA1. They both sound great with this amplifier even at the levels you mentioned. I've used it with a home CDP and a portable one. Though the sound is much cleaner, smoother and tighter using the home CDP, the portable with the RA1 (at the levels you mentioned) still managed to put out a very respectable sound. I am certain it's your RA-1 which can be repaired most likely free of charge at Grado Labs.

Here's my setup -
Sony DVP-NS700P/Philips CDR765/Pioneer DVL-700 - Tributaries Silver Series SC300 - Grado RA1 - Senn HD600 or Grado RS1
Sony 828K - Straight Wire portable cable - Grado RA1 - Senn HD600 or Grado RS1

Jul 2, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by ChenaynayC
Are you sure both of your batteries are good? Mine starts to distort when batteries are low. Thought I'd ask - just in case.

yes. brand new energizer alkalines.
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by ninoe99
HD600 and RS1 . . . sound great with this amplifier even at the levels you mentioned.

at 9 o'clock i get distortion. that's not even a decent listening level for me (and i listen at low levels).

i also tried deoxit. but, alas, no avail.

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Sounds like a bad volume pot. The pot in the Grado amps is an, um, low-cost unit, that can go out of wack if a small piece of something (sawdust? silver paint?) falls in it.

See the guts, including the pot, here.

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back