Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #151 of 1,221
As far as I know Grado still the only manufacture that made a custom headphone dedicated to Head-fi members and allow it to be sold across the world. Something they don't do for their own product line. Good luck getting a custom build from Sennheiser or Audio Technica to name a few.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #152 of 1,221
i'm not sure grado needs to attend meets, etc., but the thing is, i met john grado once and he's a very nice guy.  i changed my mind about the company after meeting him...

too bad more folks don't have the chance to meet or talk to him...

I've spoken to John several times. Yes he seems nice. Yes the company has made 2 different limited edition headphones for the Head-Fi community. Grado profited well by doing it. They profited so well the rereleased the HF2 again and again. Yes Grado handled it poorly by allowing the release of a flawed product.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #154 of 1,221
That's kinda like saying a K701 can be driven out of an ipod, but it will not reach it's maximum potential.

Quote:
I sent an e-mail to Grado about the HF-2 and the PS-500, and I have just received this reply:

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #155 of 1,221
That's kinda like saying a K701 can be driven out of an ipod, but it will not reach it's maximum potential.

Not really.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #156 of 1,221

Quote:
I sent an e-mail to Grado about the HF-2 and the PS-500, and I have just received this reply:

so it's more or less the same... just like the sr80i-325is' (what a pity, now it's time for the fanboys to accept that it sounds more or less the same as any current grado out there 

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #157 of 1,221
I really hope these turn out to be a great sounding Grado. Seems like they are in a crowded neigborhood with the RS2i and RS1i. I've owned SR 60, SR 125, RS 2 and RS 1s. Really enjoyed the RS 1s out of. Melos. Some of tye best Grados i every heard were SR 200s. Yes they are the same but different.:cool:

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #159 of 1,221

Quote:
Has this been confirmed by Grado? Because I think I read somewhere that the production model would be matte.

Just the review units because they were doing the chrome by a local chromer, and they had problems probably getting a fair price and a good quality job. So matte is the way

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #160 of 1,221
First, this thread is deteriorating. Get the conversation back on track or we'll probably have to close it.

Exactly - the haters will laud ridicule on the GS1000 and PS1000 at $1400 and $2300AUD respectively and yet remain
silent on the Ultrasone Edition 10 which is $2600 out here. I heard it yesterday and spent 20-30 mins with it - it's not worth
that sort of money sonically speaking. But it looks nice.

I haven't liked any of the "Edition X" Ultrasones that I've heard. I'd say many seem to agree since they don't get much discussion here. Likewise the GS-1000 and PS-1000. The PS-1000 has a loyal handful of followers, but compared to the LCD2, HD-800 and T1, it barely is talked about. And I can't remember the last time there was a thread about wanting to buy or listening to a GS-1000. Conversation about it died around 2007.

It's probably a good thing that there isn't an eruption over every bogus product. There's a lot of shady stuff out there. More than you think. Audio is a carnival sideshow.

But I love carnival sideshows. Did you know they were carefully scripted to appeal to two audiences?

The first audience appealed to was the credulous, the rubes who will believe anything as long as the pitch was delivered by someone who seemed sincere and friendly.

The second audience was for those who came for the amusement of rubes gulping down nonsense. If you paid close attention to the sideshow workers, there were winks and nods to these people to rub in the fact that some were taking it seriously.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #161 of 1,221

Quote:
First, this thread is deteriorating. Get the conversation back on track or we'll probably have to close it.

I haven't liked any of the "Edition X" Ultrasones that I've heard. I'd say many seem to agree since they don't get much discussion here. Likewise the GS-1000 and PS-1000. The PS-1000 has a loyal handful of followers, but compared to the LCD2, HD-800 and T1, it barely is talked about. And I can't remember the last time there was a thread about wanting to buy or listening to a GS-1000. Conversation about it died around 2007.

It's probably a good thing that there isn't an eruption over every bogus product. There's a lot of shady stuff out there. More than you think. Audio is a carnival sideshow.

But I love carnival sideshows. Did you know they were carefully scripted to appeal to two audiences?

The first audience appealed to was the credulous, the rubes who will believe anything as long as the pitch was delivered by someone who seemed sincere and friendly.

The second audience was for those who came for the amusement of rubes gulping down nonsense. If you paid close attention to the sideshow workers, there were winks and nods to these people to rub in the fact that some were taking it seriously.

I guess the only way to see through the 'smoke' in regards to the PS500 is to sample the fare before putting up the hard pennies.

Easier said than done for a lot of folk in this thread who may not have access to a retailer. I'm more than content to spend an
afternoon making the trip to see Nick at Audiophile (Grado Melbourne) to see what all the fuss is about.

The GS1000 is the most perplexing enigma in the headphone world. Rarely discussed, occasionally dissed when
it does get raised and yet 8 out of 10 so called 'pro' reviewers claim it is a genuine contender as a finals
list for the 'world's best dynamic'. Some will suggest that John Grado has his fingers in a few pies but I'm skeptical of
such conspiracy theory - a few of these reviews were from Grado detractors who during the review maintained
their disgust for the SR range but concluded that the colored goodness of the GS1000 did have its charms
coupled with a great source.

Listening to the Ultrasone Ed 10 did teach me one thing though - I would never chance to buy any $500+ headphone without
a proper audition. A good change of tact considering that I'm up until now all my headphones were bought blind - 3 out of
4 ain't bad - only the M50 has worn thin in personal value over time.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #162 of 1,221

Quote:

I remember wanting a pair back in 2009, and thinking it was the creme dela creme. And getting them at $750 was even a better deal, but this isnt about the GS-1000's, but the PS500's, so lets get it back on
redface.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #163 of 1,221

Quote:

the PS500 shares a number of design considerations with the HF-2, but they are different 

Woohoo!! That's good enough for me.

P.S Thanks for emailing Grado btw, I was just gonna do that myself.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #164 of 1,221
haha die hard Grado fan.
beyersmile.png

Quote:

Quote:

the PS500 shares a number of design considerations with the HF-2, but they are different 

Woohoo!! That's good enough for me.

P.S Thanks for emailing Grado btw, I was just gonna do that myself.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #165 of 1,221
Quote:

How elaborate!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back