Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Sep 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #136 of 1,221

Quote:
Wow. 
Headphones almost nobody has heard being bashed because they are made by a company you have decided to hate.
A company that created two special editions of headphones just for the head-fi community being bashed for not supporting the community. 

I love this forum for the invaluable information, the chance to get information on just about anything headphone related, and for some of the people who provide support to the community.

This forum frustrates me because of the petty, narrow-minded, and juvenile negativity. Not everybody is going to like a specific company, model, or genre of music. Not everybody hears things the same way, not everybody has the budget to buy the latest and greatest. 

I've seen people here insulted for their taste in music, their taste in headphone, their lack of budget and it makes it really hard to want to be a part of this community. 

I would never insultingly refer to somebody's gear as mid-fi, I don't give a s&*t if someone likes a headphone I don't (personally I can't stand the HD800 but have great conversations about music with a friend who swears by them), and I don't see the need to constantly bash something just because I don't like it or I've had a bad experience with a certain company. 

Over and over I see people who seem to comment on posts just to be negative. If you don't like _________ (company x) why on earth would you waste your time posting on the thead? just move on and enjoy what you enjoy.

I totally agree with this, there is a surprising amount of people on Head-fi that can go ranting about a particular brand of headphones based on ONE model they have heard or entirely based on something they read elsewhere. Head-fi is becoming more and more elitist by the day. It's somewhat disappointing really, the entire mood of the forum has changed so much since 2006 when i first came here and so many regulars have already left. Let's bring back the meaningful chatter people!

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #137 of 1,221

Quote:
When I woodied my 225's, and was getting ready to partially liberate the 225 drivers from their plastic housing, I discovered the same thing about my 225's. I wasnt aware this was something Grado did with their 225's, so it kind of surprised me.

Absolutely.

Makes sense to me.

thanks for the pic of the drivers, for those who haven't seen the innards of a crap-poh, the second plastic segment covers the entire aluminum enclosure rendering it, bling blong without style or substance. IMO, for the sr225 to have pastic is alright since the whole cup is...er plastic, but the sr325... where the promotional material reads "
. The way the SR325is’ driver, cable and metal housing move air and react to sound vibrations are now less affected by transient distortions " i felt like i had been scammed. This is pure bull-schitt which makes me wonder whether or not the HF2's/ps500 (yup, they're the same thing to me) also has the plastic ringlet rendering the aluminum cups nothing but a bad celebrity makeover of the lower range grados. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #138 of 1,221

Quote:
Well...good riddance!!!
As for me, Grado fanboy signing in.

you got a ******* problem? screw being slightly biased, time to go all out hater

CENSORED! insomnia is getting to me again, it's tough being unable to sleep till 2:00, waking up at 4:00, going back to sleep for a hour and waking up again . anywho, time to crap on this little fairy tale of a thread gone wrong. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #140 of 1,221
Quote:
Completely agree with your and Uncle Erik's comments.  I'd love for these to be something different but am not holding my breath.

While I think that most Grado lovers would want something different from a new Grado headphone, they still expect it to have the same old school Grado house sound that they are used to.
What maybe be a bit of a let down about the PS500, since nobody has properly listened to it yet, is the straight resemblance to a HF2 headphone, apart from the engraving everything is identical, shape, materials, grilles, headband, the lot. There are some amazing designs in the "SR60 Mod" thread if only Grado would tap into that resource maybe we would not be discussing our disappointments here.

Criticism aside, Grado HF2 headphones are still in great demand in the Headphone For Sale threads, It almost always sells for a larger amount than it's original released price. I think Grado should be commended for bringing back the HF2 into the market in the form of PS500, and if the PS500 turns out to be a sonically better headphone than it will be a win win situation.

When I first got my very first "Grado" headphone and I opened the box with a new Alessandro MS1 inside, I though to myself "Gee what a poorly built headphone" but then when I listened to it I forgot how bad it looked because the sound was just amazing, since then I've upgraded to my current RS1 and RS2, these two cans IMHO are the sweet spot of the Grado line up, though I still haven't heard the HF2 headphones (have been waiting for a months for it to arrive from the US) I just hope they are as good as other people have said here at head-fi.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #141 of 1,221

Quote:
you got a ******* problem? screw being slightly biased, time to go all out hater

CENSORED! insomnia is getting to me again, it's tough being unable to sleep till 2:00, waking up at 4:00, going back to sleep for a hour and waking up again . anywho, time to crap on this little fairy tale of a thread gone wrong. 

You and the other haters can crap this thread all you like....it's not gonna change the inevitable which is:  firstly, everyone who is interested in the PS500 will buy one, and secondly Grado is gonna sell truckloads of this model. I'm so happy just thinking about when my PS500 gets here.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #143 of 1,221
I want to apologize for my part in getting dragged into this nonsense. I'm gonna go home after this night shift and happily listen to my Grados. If for some reason that bothers anyone I could care less.

It's supposed to be about the music afterall.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #144 of 1,221
Quote:
Completely agree with your and Uncle Erik's comments.  I'd love for these to be something different but am not holding my breath.

While I think that most Grado lovers would want something different from a new Grado headphone, they still expect it to have the same old school Grado house sound that they are used to.
What maybe be a bit of a let down about the PS500, since nobody has properly listened to it yet, is the straight resemblance to a HF2 headphone, apart from the engraving everything is identical, shape, materials, grilles, headband, the lot. There are some amazing designs in the "SR60 Mod" thread if only Grado would tap into that resource maybe we would not be discussing our disappointments here.

Criticism aside, Grado HF2 headphones are still in great demand in the Headphone For Sale threads, It almost always sells for a larger amount than it's original released price. I think Grado should be commended for bringing back the HF2 into the market in the form of PS500, and if the PS500 turns out to be a sonically better headphone than it will be a win win situation.

When I first got my very first "Grado" headphone and I opened the box with a new Alessandro MS1 inside, I though to myself "Gee what a poorly built headphone" but then when I listened to it I forgot how bad it looked because the sound was just amazing, since then I've upgraded to my current RS1 and RS2, these two cans IMHO are the sweet spot of the Grado line up, though I still haven't heard the HF2 headphones (have been waiting for a months for it to arrive from the US) I just hope they are as good as other people have said here at head-fi.

Ironically enough when I first opened up the pizza box of the Grado SR-80 I thought the build was great for $100. To this day I think it's the best bargain in headphones. It's when you move up the line and realize the build quality you get for $100 is basically the same at $200, $300, $400, $700, $1000 and $1700. To me, that's where the value starts to become a bit of a joke.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #145 of 1,221

No need to apologize. You said out loud what many of us was thinking. Thank you! 
wink.gif

Quote:
I want to apologize for my part in getting dragged into this nonsense. I'm gonna go home after this night shift and happily listen to my Grados. If for some reason that bothers anyone I could care less.

It's supposed to be about the music afterall.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #146 of 1,221
I just visited Grados website and they position the PS500 as a studio monitoring headphone. Maybe the sound sig is not raw rock style prone à la HF2 despite the physical resemblance.

My opinion remains the same as I think as soon as you move up from the SR225i the price to performance ratio starts going out of sync. But this could be said of many other brands also.

I also wonder how many of the Grado haters went with the Failbook thing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #147 of 1,221

Quote:
I just visited Grados website and they position the PS500 as a studio monitoring headphone. Maybe the sound sig is not raw rock style prone à la HF2 despite the physical resemblance.

My opinion remains the same as I think as soon as you move up from the SR225i the price to performance ratio starts going out of sync. But this could be said of many other brands also.

I also wonder how many of the Grado haters went with the Failbook thing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Exactly - the haters will laud ridicule on the GS1000 and PS1000 at $1400 and $2300AUD respectively and yet remain
silent on the Ultrasone Edition 10 which is $2600 out here. I heard it yesterday and spent 20-30 mins with it - it's not worth
that sort of money sonically speaking. But it looks nice.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #148 of 1,221
Quote:
Exactly - the haters will laud ridicule on the GS1000 and PS1000 at $1400 and $2300AUD respectively and yet remain
silent on the Ultrasone Edition 10 which is $2600 out here. I heard it yesterday and spent 20-30 mins with it - it's not worth
that sort of money sonically speaking. But it looks nice.

Remain silent? The E10 is the best joke this forum's ever made 
biggrin.gif

Well, the Qualia's frequency response is pretty funny too.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #150 of 1,221
i'm not sure grado needs to attend meets, etc., but the thing is, i met john grado once and he's a very nice guy.  i changed my mind about the company after meeting him...

too bad more folks don't have the chance to meet or talk to him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back