Grado PS500, Denon AH-D5000, or Denon AH-D7000
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

metalFREAK

New Head-Fier
With the recent announcement of Denon doing away with the 5000/7000's it has kind of put my next set headphones on a accelerated path.

I was not figuring on doing this upgrade right now, and figured I had lots of time to search and make well informed decision. Well I tried searching on here and there isnt a lot of information out there comparing these cans.

As you can probably tell by my name, I tend to listen to metal 99.99999% of the time. I like all forms of metal depending on my mood for the day. I tend to listen to a lot of thrash and black metal though. Both of which have pretty bad mastering. Well thrash not as bad as black (does anything?).

I have owned 2 Grado's in the past and cant say I cared much for either pair. I had the SR60 (non i) and I found them ok sounding, but it really lacked any kind of bass for me. Then I decided to try the 325i (gold version). I really liked the bass in these, but they were just overly bright for me. To the point of not being able to listen to them for more that 1/2 hour. Granted both of these were used back before I had a dac and amp. Maybe that would have changed them.

My current setup is FiiO e17 dac, Darkvoice 336 amp, Beyerdynamic DT-880 250ohm. I really like the Beyers, but looking for something with a different sound signature to it to change things up now and then. Who knows maybe even find that headphone that will replace them.

Anybody have any thoughts, tips, or reviews of any of these choices? Better yet can anyone compare them from actual use?

Thanks for any tips or pointers you can provide. I would have liked to have put more of my own research into this before posting, but time isnt on my side right now.
angry_face.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm a huge denon fan but of course you'll have to move quick to get a pair before they are no longer in stock. If you suggest d5k for you.

GL!!

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 6
With grado it is very important to have the right amp and dac.  When I used to run straight out the soundcard or paired with my portable amp they were pretty edgy and rough but paired with my stello and c2c very smooth but with just the right midrange edge makes metal sound delicious!!!  The denons are good for some things,  I dont like them as much for metal (better for jazz, soul, R&B, etc) without modding definently inferior to Grado in the mids,  with mod brings it more forward and makes them more listenable for rock and metal.  Ive never heard the ps 500 by the way but if it scales up the way it should from a 325i it should be perfect!

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
With grado it is very important to have the right amp and dac.  When I used to run straight out the soundcard or paired with my portable amp they were pretty edgy and rough but paired with my stello and c2c very smooth but with just the right midrange edge makes metal sound delicious!!!  The denons are good for some things,  I dont like them as much for metal (better for jazz, soul, R&B, etc) without modding definently inferior to Grado in the mids,  with mod brings it more forward and makes them more listenable for rock and metal.  Ive never heard the ps 500 by the way but if it scales up the way it should from a 325i it should be perfect!

Interesting you say that. The more I hear about the PS500 the more I like the way it sounds. Unfortunatly I keep having nightmares about my past 2 experiences with Grado's. While I guess they arent bad enough to scare me away, they do make me hesitent to drop $600. If there was only a place near me that sold them where I could hear before I buy.

Quote:
I'm a huge denon fan but of course you'll have to move quick to get a pair before they are no longer in stock. If you suggest d5k for you.

GL!!

So your saying the 5000 would be the better fit for me than the 7000?

Quote:
This may be a good place to start:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

After reading all that, and then watching the video at the end. It seems like the 5000 is the way to go. Unless you got money to burn then dont bother with the 7000 as there is better options at its price point?

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

After reading all that, and then watching the video at the end. It seems like the 5000 is the way to go. Unless you got money to burn then dont bother with the 7000 as there is better options at its price point?

The price spread for me was $150.  For that I'd get the D7000, but reasonable minds (and budgets) will differ.  You get an excellent can either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back